Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone Problem

Teacher in China

Hello.....I have a 2 year old Epiphone Les Paul standard plus top that has developed a problem....I put new strings on it today and when i started tuning i noticed that on the Big E,A and D strings the volume was like a 2 out 10 and the G,B and little E were perfectly normal and had no problem.I have been playing for many years and this is a first for me ! Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?I did a wire wiggle test and no cracking or popping.Could my Pickups be bad?......................kenny

Well, It could be that the pickup height needs to be adjusted for those strings.

It may be also that you need to break in the new strings a little more.

Hello.....I have been playing a very long time and all my strings are 042 thru 009 ,there has been no change in the guitar since i played a show at my school a few days ago.I can set up any guitar and something is really strange that my bass strings have no volume to them...its like only 1/2 my pickups are working !.........

Hello.....I have a 2 year old Epiphone Les Paul standard plus top that has developed a problem....I put new strings on it today and when i started tuning i noticed that on the Big E,A and D strings the volume was like a 2 out 10 and the G,B and little E were perfectly normal and had no problem.I have been playing for many years and this is a first for me ! Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?I did a wire wiggle test and no cracking or popping.Could my Pickups be bad?......................kenny

You most likely put on strings for acoustic guitar instead strings for electric guitar. Strings for acoustic guitar often use non-magnetic wire for the wound part of the lower strings, so only the string core (if at all) generates an electric signal in the pickups.

You most likely put on strings for acoustic guitar instead strings for electric guitar. Strings for acoustic guitar often use non-magnetic wire for the wound part of the lower strings, so only the string core (if at all) generates an electric signal in the pickups.

LongMan +1.

This is my idea, too. In many cases, the transition from the heaviest plain to the lightest wound string is clearly audible in both volume and tone, i. e. from plain G3rd to wound D4th, or from plain B2nd to wound G3rd with heavier string gauges, but such a dramatic loss of volume should be caused by non-magnetic windings like on most acoustic guitar strings. The A5th is the loudest string of typical sets for electric guitars.

So I think you must have used acoustic guitar strings mistakingly.

well ive seen sets that have a thread like wrap around both ends of the string which would inhibit grounding. in which case you would have the same effect as a non grounded tail iece on any string that is wrapped. for the most part those string were accoustic strings. but ive seen electric string done the same way. simple test. take a piece of bare wire and wrap it round the string above the bridge and then tie it to the tailpiece. if it sounds normal then thats your problem. after all the string to tailpiece is a contact ground. its obvoously not a poor ground elsewhere because three of the 6 are sounding normal and that would also eliminate any other item such as a bad pot etc. the only guitar ive ever experienced this with was a line 6 variax with the factory pickups. where the pickup goes dead.

well ive seen sets that have a thread like wrap around both ends of the string which would inhibit grounding. in which case you would have the same effect as a non grounded tail iece on any string that is wrapped. for the most part those string were accoustic strings. but ive seen electric string done the same way. simple test. take a piece of bare wire and wrap it round the string above the bridge and then tie it to the tailpiece. if it sounds normal then thats your problem. after all the string to tailpiece is a contact ground. its obvoously not a poor ground elsewhere because three of the 6 are sounding normal and that would also eliminate any other item such as a bad pot etc. the only guitar ive ever experienced this with was a line 6 variax with the factory pickups. where the pickup goes dead.

Magnetic pickups are not sensitive to static charge of strings, and therefore any electrical connection of strings should not be necessary here on principal. Grounding of strings is done here just to avoid capacitive interference causing hum and buzz.

thats all true but then ive had guitars when the ground to the tailpiece is bad you get very low signal. and ive seen this mentioned many times. so it wouldnt hurt to check it. but i have to say ive never heard of some strings being low volume vs others being normal if all things are equal. btw ive used acoustic brass wound strings on electrics and have found no volume difference . used them on my gretsch 5120. . so again whats harm will it do to check this out?

Archived