Gibson Brands Forums

SS & HB pick-up quiery

fevitz GC OZ

Hi ! ive always wanted to ask these questions so anyone who knows , im keen to hear . Ive read that the early L,series basses came out with SS pickups with a brass plate underneath . Then ,,, i believe the HB brass plated one supersede the SS ? Mine has the brass plate with a "HB sticker" attached , and after that the HB pickups had a resin base when the XL series were produced .

If the HB superseded the SS (prior to the later resin filled emg,s installed in the XL,s , why do some XL,s have SS pickups ? am i wrong thinking the early SS & HB,s were more sought after than the later resin packed emg,s ? So were the SS,s & HB,s left overs when XL,s were produced ? and they installed those brass plated ones in XL,s as well ?

Sorry !!! too many questions here , but not having played a steiny with SS PUPS which of the SS & HB has the more defined sound in anyones opinion eg: definition,clarity,response,with warmth and clean sound ?

Incidently ! im over the moon with the sound i get at high and low volumes . Its clean with definition , so i was wondering how much different an SS sound would rate .

I hope my quiery makes sense & thanks for your reading time .

Ive read that the early L,series basses came out with SS pickups with a brass plate underneath . Then, i believe the HB brass plated one supersede the SS ? Mine has the brass plate with a "HB sticker" attached , and after that the HB pickups had a resin base when the XL series were produced .

If the HB superseded the SS (prior to the later resin filled emg,s installed in the XL,s , why do some XL,s have SS pickups ? am i wrong thinking the early SS & HB,s were more sought after than the later resin packed emg,s ?

Hi Rick,

difficult questions, I'm not sure if these can be completely answered. At least not by me... you should probably address questions like these to the Steinberger World Yahoo group, there are a number of bass players. I'm just a guitarist with limited bass knowledge. And this forum here is a dead place... if you and me weren't here ;)

About the SS and HB pickups: Andy's story as found here is probably not complete. I own an old L2 fretless bass (1983) with SS pickups (no other sticker), and I've got two spare SS pickups (with the IV-V sticker). Both do NOT have a brass plate, but that light brown resin on the bottom. So where (in that story) would they fit? I guess there have been several versions of these pickups, with and without a plate, and yes, those which were leftovers from L2 production most likely went into some early (probably transitional) XLs.

Bernd

Hi Rick,

difficult questions, I'm not sure if these can be completely answered. At least not by me... you should probably address questions like these to the Steinberger World Yahoo group, there are a number of bass players. I'm just a guitarist with limited bass knowledge. And this forum here is a dead place... if you and me weren't here ;)

About the SS and HB pickups: Andy's story as found here is probably not complete. I own an old L2 fretless bass (1983) with SS pickups (no other sticker), and I've got two spare SS pickups (with the IV-V sticker). Both do NOT have a brass plate, but that light brown resin on the bottom. So where (in that story) would they fit? I guess there have been several versions of these pickups, with and without a plate, and yes, those which were leftovers from L2 production most likely went into some early (probably transitional) XLs.

Bernd

Hi bernd,

Mine too only have a small sticker with "EMG-HB" , so for all i know they could be SS as the bass serial says "sullivan st" which was a very early location of steinberger sound , but i doubt it as it looks original "thumbnail attch" Thats interesting that yours are SS with a resin base . Under that brass plate lurks the mighty pickups wrapped in a paper thin brass layer . It came loose and needed to be stabilised , hence making a slight noise . Id imagine that wouldnt happen with it sealed in resin . And yep it is a bit of a garden gnome forum .

rickpost-51516-039499200 1381640190_thumb.jpg

Archived