Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Classic/Classic Plus

dsn716

the funny part is that the Classic started as a model above the Standard. The original Classics were so close to the 1960 Reissues that some unscrupulous sellers began passing the Classics off as such. As time went on, Gibson watered the Classic down.

I would like to see it as it was in the beginning- no snot green inlays, no green tuners, an ABR bridge, 57 Classic pickups, Les Paul Model on the headstock and a regular pickguard that doesnt say 1960 on it. Swiss cheese, slim neck and plaintop would be fine.

THE EARLY CLASSICS WERE VERY SWEET INDEED! I HAD A CLASSIC MADE IN 95 OR 96 CANT REMEMBER WHICH NOW, BUT IT ACTUALLY SAID MADE IN CUSTOM SHOP ON BACK OF LOWER HEADSTOCK AND IT DIDNT HAVE THE 1960 REISSUE PICKGUARD EITHER.

...IT ACTUALLY SAID MADE IN CUSTOM SHOP ON BACK OF LOWER HEADSTOCK AND IT DIDNT HAVE THE 1960 REISSUE PICKGUARD EITHER...

Did you click on this link posted in #16?

EDIT : This is a very informed article (I probably got most of my info from here back in the day) by the great guitar afficionado and collector Mike Slubowski;

http://www.lespaulfo...es/frameset.htm

New to the forum and for the life of me cannot figure out how to upload photos. I have a 93 classic plus in Aber Burst. It is on the best tops ive seen on a lp other than R9. Granted i havent seen just a ton of pauls. I will admit i have been running PRS SC250's the past 8 years. Never was really looking for anything else until i picked up and 96 honey burst standard. When i did that i was forever changed and have gotten rid of my PRS's and have nothing but Pauls. Back to my questions after i got that out. Where were the 93 plus's made? I picked this up from a guy who didnt know much about it but it was so beautiful i couldnt pass it up. Ive got a serial number which is 3 2181 of which i know how to get the year but i didnt know if it said anything about wich plant it came from. From what i read on the old reliable internet is that during that time they were in transition from one plant to another. If anyone could shed a little light i would greatly appriciate it. Also it is up on reverb for sale. I love it and love to look at it but i play my guitars and the standards fit me better. I would love for someone to email so i could send them the pics and maybe they could upload them or tell me how. Thanks DB

Archived