Gibson Brands Forums

LP or SG?

Jammin'

I have a strat and I want something new. I have heard that SG is similar to the strat, and I don't want that. But I've heard that the sg is lighter and easier to play than the les paul. Does that stuff really matter? Please put your input and suggestions

I have a strat and I want something new. I have heard that SG is similar to the strat, and I don't want that. But I've heard that the sg is lighter and easier to play than the les paul. Does that stuff really matter? Please put your input and suggestions

A typical Strat has three single coil pickups and it will never sound anything close to an SG or Les Paul, which typically come with two humbuckers.

If you were to conduct an A/B comparison between a Les Paul and an SG set up with the same pickups and played through the same amp with the same settings, you will find that they sound different, but it's subtle and I find that it is difficult to distinguish between them when I'm listening to others play them. To generalize, the Les Paul will have more sustain and more bass (possibly a bit more treble also), and the SG will be more midrangy. The Les Paul is much heavier to hold and that can get tiring after several sets. Some folks complain of "neck diving" with the SG. Some, but not all, SGs have very thin necks; some, but not all, Les Pauls have very thick necks. Try both before you buy.

Strats, and SG's sound completely different (clean), to me! They both have great upper fret

access, with the SG being slightly better, in that regard. "Distorted" tone, gets closer, but

still different (Humbuckers or P-90's, vs Fender single coils). The P-90 SG's would be the

closest, to Fender tones, but still "Fatter," generally. "Neck dive," is only a characteristic

of SOME SG's, not all. I have 2 (and, a 3rd, on the way), and the two I have already ('61 Satin,

and an "Original") are nicely balanced, with no "neck dive," whatsoever. So, again...play as

many as you can, and find the one that "does it," for you! [biggrin]

CB

Haha whoever said an SG is similar to a Strat should probably get their hearing checked because I think they have been standing a bit too close to the amp for a bit too long.

SGs and LPs are very similar in tone. They sound like Gibsons.

The neck pickup on them is where you hear the biggest difference because the SGs pickup is closer to the bridge.

Maybe the person who said the Strat and SG are similar meant weight? I think they weigh about the same. SGs are usually somewhere around 7lbs.

Haha whoever said an SG is similar to a Strat should probably get their hearing checked because I think they have been standing a bit too close to the amp for a bit too long.

SGs and LPs are very similar in tone. They sound like Gibsons.

The neck pickup on them is where you hear the biggest difference because the SGs pickup is closer to the bridge.

Maybe the person who said the Strat and SG are similar meant weight? I think they weigh about the same. SGs are usually somewhere around 7lbs.

I don't think they meant sound is the same, but they feel and weigh the same. I agree that the SG and the strat are built similarly

Similar build??? [confused] :unsure:

Strat: Bolt on neck, thicker body, with belly contour. 2 or even 3 different wood stocks,

between body and neck.

SG: Set neck, slim body, overall body beveling All Mahagony (with the exception of some limited

editions, or special runs) bodies and necks. BIG difference (IMHO) in tone and sustain, between

the 2 models.

They are both "double cutaway," so...in that way, they might be considered "similar?" But, that's

where the similarity ends, really. Still, they're both Great "Iconic" Guitars, in their own right. [thumbup]

CB

It would be a huge shame to consider the strat and SG to be very similar, and likewise with the LP and SG. Generally In feel the SG will be much closer to a strat than a LP will be. As said both have double cutaways and a body shape that would sit in your lap in similar ways. While the SG often tends to be neck heavy, the LP tends to be heavy at its bottom, and this is something felt most often when sitting down. Charlie Brown managed to give quite a great comparison with the SG and strats builds.

I would actually describe the SG more trebley than the LP. Likewise the LP is more base and midrange sounding. It's often got a heavier sound. Both does however feature (in most cases at least) two hum bucket pups, making them more darker sounding and more biting sound than a Strat.

Overall the SG and LP will both feel very different from the strat, but the LP will be the biggest change of feeling. But as always it's best to try a couple of different ones of each type of guitar to find the one that suits you best!

Both the Strat and SG are double cut away bodies, but that is where the similarities end.

Strats - thin, ouchie, uncomfortable layout, no tail piece, usually has a tremolo, longer "Fender scale".

SG - fuller, rich in sweet highs and pleasant mids, compact and comfortable, two piece bridge/tail piece, shorter "Gibson scale".

Les Paul - heavier, a lot darker, but with more highs.

Perhaps you should expand your horizons a little further. Try a PRS. Or 2. Try a Rickenbacker. Or 2. Try the Taylor or a jazz box. Or 2. If you're searching for a new sound why not search a little wider than just the strat & LP? You may find that the LP is exactly the sound you're looking for. Maybe not. I think you'll find the quest more interesting than the destination and that once you start it'll be hard to stop. But that's part of the fun.

Happy Searching.

You should play a LP for a while. The weight may be a concern. Personally, I like light even if my back is in great shape.

Having had two Gibson Les Pauls and and ES-335, my 2006 Gibson SG Standard is the best Gibson I've owned. I'm also a huge Strat lover and I find the SG is very comfortable to play, more so than any Gibson I've owned in the past. Because the strap button is set in behind the neck joint with the body, you can wear it lower down but still have the neck where you want it. The shorted "Gibson" scale means that everything is right there exactly where you want it.

I'm already thinking about my SG now and the enjoyment I'll have playing it at practice tonight. :)

Some gratuitous shots of my SG and my Strat. The similarities are in colour combinations only........

null_zps0948f6fd.jpg

AC998F73-C581-412F-9B70-8B65BF5E05A8-189-00000036BEAAAFD7_zps305bf460.jpg

I own several SG's and several Les Pauls, and have owned maybe 8 Strats over the last 50 years. No similarity between the SG and the Strat other than the double cutaway...

You really should play several of each rather than jump into something you are not familiar with. The entire feel is very different and takes some getting used to going from Fender to Gibson.

Make your choices based on how they play for you.

mark

SG. -At least that's what I'd pick. I have a small group of guitars that I play (SG Standard, SG Jr, Les Paul Special, Flying V, Telecaster, Reverend Daredevil), I always find myself going back to my SGs. -Especially my Jr lately. I love that damn thing... IMHO the SG is the coolest electric guitar ever made.

**Edit**

Photo added to emphasize my point...

5068_100dpi_zps6327682e.jpg

As far as whether to get an SG or an LP, that's easy: get BOTH! [thumbup]

They are both great guitars. So, start looking around at both models until you find one that really feels good in your hands and sounds great to your ears. Then go get one of the other model. It won't happen overnight, and the cost just adds to the non-instant gratification problem.

The search and trying out all the different guitars is half the fun. [smile]

Dont buy either until you play them both and decide for yourself. SG lovers prefer SG's, Les Paul lovers prefer Les Pauls and neither of them can tell you which you are, except me of course. You have to get the Les Paul. Nothing else will do, except maybe the SG. DOH!

Dont buy either until you play them both and decide for yourself. SG lovers prefer SG's, Les Paul lovers prefer Les Pauls and neither of them can tell you which you are, except me of course. You have to get the Les Paul. Nothing else will do, except maybe the SG. DOH!

OR...a ES-335,345,355! [biggrin]

CB

I like both the LP and the SG. The SG is a very comfortable guitar to play. To me the SG and the Strat are the most comfortable guitars to play. That's imho anyway.

I like the SGJ 2013 SG. The QC is unreal on them, the 24 frets make "no-difference" on an SG and are a perfect fit, and the maple necks just give the guitar a raw tone. At $420 which GC just sold them for on sale, to me that's a no brainer when Fender MIMs are $499. A set-neck USA Gibson for $60. bucks less? No brainer. And quiet as its kept I actually like the 490 pups and especially with the new build of plastic black covers. "They sound better" in the SGJ.

Check out the QC and one-piece body with the grain on this one. The action is "unreal" and for a stinking $420. there is nothing I would change on this USA set-neck "Gibson". Reminds me of the old days with GREAT entry level Gibsons. Which sell for what $5000. now for a 56 Jr?

IMG_0304_zps1b7b01c2.jpg

IMG_0302_zpsf343594a.jpg

IMG_0303_zpsa7a9037c.jpg

The SGJ stays plugged into the amp. No problem with me, punish me with the entry level offerings. I see a Cherry one below $400. like the above used I will own "two". The guitar was set up so well when I picked it up I was shocked. Perfect cut nut, look at the stop-tail, the strings don't touch the bridge, the guitar is a steal. I didn't even change the strings, it was perfectly intonated. I made a slight TR adjustment. That's it.

I did nothing to it but strap locks.

You are right, the SG is thin and comfortable to play, somewhat like a Strat in that respect, smooth edges. I've been playing Strats and Teles for years and just started playing Gibsons again. The thick body and sharper edges on top of the Les Paul have been taking a little getting used to. But, SG's and Les Pauls sound different and you may end up getting both eventually, especially after the GAS sets in.

• 5 months later...

I like both the LP and the SG. The SG is a very comfortable guitar to play. To me the SG and the Strat are the most comfortable guitars to play. That's imho anyway.

I like the SGJ 2013 SG. The QC is unreal on them, the 24 frets make "no-difference" on an SG and are a perfect fit, and the maple necks just give the guitar a raw tone. At $420 which GC just sold them for on sale, to me that's a no brainer when Fender MIMs are $499. A set-neck USA Gibson for $60. bucks less? No brainer. And quiet as its kept I actually like the 490 pups and especially with the new build of plastic black covers. "They sound better" in the SGJ.

Check out the QC and one-piece body with the grain on this one. The action is "unreal" and for a stinking $420. there is nothing I would change on this USA set-neck "Gibson". Reminds me of the old days with GREAT entry level Gibsons. Which sell for what $5000. now for a 56 Jr?

IMG_0304_zps1b7b01c2.jpg

IMG_0302_zpsf343594a.jpg

IMG_0303_zpsa7a9037c.jpg

The SGJ stays plugged into the amp. No problem with me, punish me with the entry level offerings. I see a Cherry one below $400. like the above used I will own "two". The guitar was set up so well when I picked it up I was shocked. Perfect cut nut, look at the stop-tail, the strings don't touch the bridge, the guitar is a steal. I didn't even change the strings, it was perfectly intonated. I made a slight TR adjustment. That's it.

I did nothing to it but strap locks.

Archived