Gibson Brands Forums

Dark finish inside ES335

d801hme

Hey all-

I recently picked up a 2013 ES335 Dot Figured Cherry model. Inside the f-holes, the wood has been stained black (looks like a stain as the figure if the wood is still visible, but it might be a paint finish). I had a 2010 model before that was not like that, and I don't think I'd ever seen that before on a ES. Does anyone know when Gibson started doing that, and for what purpose? Doesn't bother me, just curious. Not sure how to post a pic as I'm new here.

Thanks

If you are referring to only the edge of F-holes being blackened, it's a very common practice with Gibson.

If you're talking about the whole interior of the guitar being blackened, that is rarely seen, but if I recall correctly, the ES-333 was all black inside.

Whole interior, at least up to the center block (it's still pretty much unfinished). I saw a few pics of other 2013 models with what appeared to be the same thing. Maybe a new thing. I'll try to post a pic from my home 'puter...

Whole interior, at least up to the center block (it's still pretty much unfinished). I saw a few pics of other 2013 models with what appeared to be the same thing. Maybe a new thing. I'll try to post a pic from my home 'puter...

Wow, that really is different,

and an altogether new thing

on a standard 335.

• 2 months later...

I recently got an ES-195 that's a Memphis built guitar and it's blacked out inside as well. I noticed it right off the bat and thought it looked pretty classy. I don't mind it without the black out, but sure don't mind it with it either. Both look equally sharp.

Okay . . . I just got my ES 335, it has the black stain inside . . . and guess what? It doesn't bother me. In fact, I like it! This is the best guitar I've ever played, too. I'm ready to sell my LP, Strat and Tele. Well, the strat will probably go first . . .

And, by the way . . . The guitar sounds great through my Pro Junior. That is a nice amp for the clean tones. [biggrin]

Okay . . . I just got my ES 335, it has the black stain inside . . . and guess what? It doesn't bother me. In fact, I like it! This is the best guitar I've ever played, too. I'm ready to sell my LP, Strat and Tele. Well, the strat will probably go first . . .

And, by the way . . . The guitar sounds great through my Pro Junior. That is a nice amp for the clean tones. [biggrin]

I kind of did the same thing . I sold a SRV strat and my LP Traditional. Fast forward to a year later and I ended up buying a MIA Strat and another LP Traditional during the blowout. Even though I play my 335 90 percent of the time , I still need those other tones too, albeit not too much.

You've now made me curious to know if the backs of the tops are also stained. Anybody have a dental mirror?

Your question made me curious too. I just checked my 195 and the complete inside of the back is black as well as the f-hole edges, but the top is not.

Great pics, jdgm!

jdgm those are fantastic inside photos!

Many thanks - I took more - this was when I removed the P/Us to take out the springs and damp all the vibrations, perhaps I should do another thread on that.

It's a really great guitar too!

Cool inside pics for sure. Glad I'm not the only one with the stain inside...here's the exact email from Gibson, for you guys with the "inside stain"...

"Thanks for the pictures.. What a killer top! Gibson Memphis has used stains for highly figures woods. This helps to accentuate the remarkable figuring on some of the nicer examples of flamed backs.

Thank you for the inquiry."

^I've noticed that to (the black finish inside). But I don't get the accentuating the grain explanation. My guess is that Gibson Memphis wants build more of its own brand/plant identity as there has been so much confusion about the 'custom shop' designation over the years. On the Gibson website, They've also started to differentiate between "Gibson Custom" and "Gibson Memphis".

• 6 months later...

I think the stained inside looks great on the black guitar! Way less contrast than it would with naked wood. For the cherry guitars, I guess it could go either way. For sunbursts,

I prefer no stain inside.

I have a black ES175 made in Memphis 2013 and the inside back only is stained black -

Inside175Web1_zps5eadb6d6.jpg

Inside175Web2_zps4e83bc7d.jpg

ES175CasedWeb_zps030298c7.jpg

regards!

Archived