Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone sq 180 korean

karl122132

This may sound like a copout, but buy a cheap set of milimeter allens and see which one works. A cheap set will be fine, as you arent torqueing on anything.

Ive already bought a set of allen keys but none fit, what size does vintage epiphone acoustic guitars usually take? metric or imperial?

Ive already bought a set of allen keys but none fit, what size does vintage epiphone acoustic guitars usually take? metric or imperial?

Should be metric. But I dont know becuase I just keep grabbing allens from a pile of them until I find the one that fits. :)

Should be metric. But I dont know becuase I just keep grabbing allens from a pile of them until I find the one that fits. :)

\

Ive bought a 100 piece metric set and none have quite fitted the closest was a 5mm which fits in but doesn't turn it cos its a little too small. If I post a picture of the truss rod could you help?

No, looking at the truss rod wont tell me anything personally. If metric isnt working, I guess you'll have to try imperial. I honestly dont know what they are supposed to be. I just have a pile of old allens and alwys seem to find ones that fit. I have no idea if they are even metric or not.

I'm surprised the 5 mm doesn't fit. Are you sure the socket just hasn't been deformed? I'm assuming you're looking to increase the tension on your truss rod. One thing you'll want to do is begin the process by loosening it first. This is more likely to solve any binding issues the rod may have, as well as preventing you from stripping out the socket. Good luck!

Hi,

im quite sure it isn't deformed (ive attached a picture). Also I actually want to tighten the truss rod as theres not enough tension on the neck. I have tried turning it both ways with a 5mm hex key and it just doesn't turn.

I'm surprised the 5 mm doesn't fit. Are you sure the socket just hasn't been deformed? I'm assuming you're looking to increase the tension on your truss rod. One thing you'll want to do is begin the process by loosening it first. This is more likely to solve any binding issues the rod may have, as well as preventing you from stripping out the socket. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

its kind of hard to find one here in Southampton U K theres only one guy and he wanted £20 just to tell me. So I said no. Sorry

I also have 4.5 and 5.5 on hand. However, most Epi's I've adjusted have been 4mm.

Faded.....

Archived