Gibson Brands Forums

Question about the value of a Gibson Les Paul

deka

Hi folks,

I found an opportunity to buy a used Gibson Les Paul for a good deal and I want to know your opinion.I couldn't find any information about this model so thought it would be a good idea to ask someone that has experience with Gibsons. First of all can you guys tell is it the real deal ? I mean there are so many fake Gibsons out there and I don't want to be a victim of one of those (lol). And could you tell me what is the price for one of these babies :) ?

Watch the photos and tell me what do you think.

post-60023-023386300 1381870952_thumb.jpg

post-60023-040158400 1381870960_thumb.jpg

post-60023-075242200 1381870983_thumb.jpg

post-60023-080779100 1381870992_thumb.jpg

Hello Deka,

welcome here. To my eyes, the pictures show no alarm signals. Due to the limited resolution, I can't evaluate the instrument's condition. The cracks in the finish around the Gibson inlay on the front of the headstock are not critical and appear on many Gibsons. However, there should be no cracks along the seams of fretboard, bindings and neck.

Please refer to sales of Gibson Smartwood Les Paul guitars with similar condition in the recent past for getting an idea of a price. Typically, it will range around that of a Les Paul Standard of about same age and condition.

Hope this helps,

capmaster

It looks real to me. The going rate for those I would imagine is $600-700. They were priced similar to the LP studio.

It looks like a very cool guitar definitely if you can get it under $600, i'm curious to know what kind of pickups it has? Do you know?

According to this website (and no i do not know if it is correct but I been using it with new guitars and it seems correct)

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

February 18th, 1997

Production Number: 21

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Except the place can not do custom guitars (CS serial number following) so for some it does not work.

Anything else about that guitar is I suppose up to you or someone else on how much it is worth and if it fits with that website.

Guest Farnsbarns

You don't need that website. They work like this....

YDDDYRRR

So the 1st and 5th digits show us it was made in 97. The three in between give us the day in the year (1-365). The last three digits are the production number for the day.

• 6 months later...

YDDDYRRR

So the 1st and 5th digits show us it was made in 97. The three in between give us the day in the year (1-365). The last three digits are the production number for the day.

Hello , your answer above may be what I wanted. I have a Les Paul Smartwood and a cert of authenticity with a serial number but no date of manufacture.

According to your reply above, 90369444 would be from Feb of 1999 and the 444'th unit of the day. Could they really have made 444 of this somewhat rare model in one day? Help?

YDDDYRRR

Hello , your answer above may be what I wanted. I have a Les Paul Smartwood and a cert of authenticity with a serial number but no date of manufacture.

According to your reply above, 90369444 would be from Feb of 1999 and the 444'th unit of the day. Could they really have made 444 of this somewhat rare model in one day? Help?

Archived