Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ-150 questions?

Golden

What is a decent price on these used in very good condition? I have no idea what they went for new. nor is there any used for sale I see around to get a solid idea.

Whats your thoughts on this acoustic? There's a woman here who wants to trade one for a Fender CS I have. The Strat is worth maybe $1500-1800. depends. I want a decent acoustic and I like the Gibson's.

I'm not really an acoustic player though I learned classical on guitar as a child. So I can play them. I have played Taylor, Martin and Gibson and frankly to my ear the Gibsons sound hands down much better. I don't know, this is uncharted water for me.

Thoughts?

I have one, fantastic guitar, you get 95% J-200 with it, bought one two years ago for $1500.

Sounds great. She sounds nice. I'm gonna call her this morning, I just feel uncertain with the acoustics. See what happens today.

Thanks.

Sounds great. She sounds nice. I'm gonna call her this morning, I just feel uncertain with the acoustics. See what happens today.

Thanks.

I highly recommend this guitar, as its the early 2000's equivalent of the J-200 Studio. But back then you got all the appointments of the J-200 with the one exception of unbound neck and headstock.

This how mine looks ..

KGrHqYOKo8E4iY7HLkvBOUYDCYghQ_12.jpg

KGrHqVicE4uULLJ9BOUYDD7EQ_12.jpg

You never gig with that one Aussie ?

Any reason ?

i do mate, but not so much. Usually I prefer the warmth of mahogany so opt either for the HB TV or SJ. But in smaller pubs I like to take the J-150 when we play in low volume which is where it shines. When you crank it up too much the tone becomes a bit bright and glassy which I dont care for.

Here's one from one of your fave albums of the 90's ....

Late getting in on this one: Golden - FWIW - I bought one new early in 2003 form a small dealer. He had it in stock for quite some time; it's a 2001 . It was marked at $2,395 with the Tone, Feel, Appearance case. Same instrument and case as pictured above in EA's response. I did not pay the price on the tag. The J-150 is one of my favorite guitars and the reason I later had an SJ-200 built. I thought it was worth mentioning the unbound neck really lends itself to some comfortable playing. Like EA's, mine has some fine figured maple. I prefer maple guitars and my J-150 had a whole lot to do with that mindset. It is sweet sounding and clear. They put the instrument together without a flaw, it was my performance guitar and it is the guitar I keep next to me at home now for daily playing. The guard is a notch above the current ones, imo. The tuners are superior and match the instrument just right as for the idea of lesser bling. So, I have a 150 store bought and a 200 Custom made per order. I play the J-150 the most; it feels good! Lot of subjective stuff here-in, hope it was in time and of some use.

Archived