Gibson Brands Forums

how much would a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top cost? Should i get and epiphone or a gibson?

GibsonGuy123

It depends on how much money you're willing to spend... if you're asking about quality then it's a no-brainer... get the Gibson. If you just want a guitar to play and you're relatively new and inexperience, absolutely get the Epiphone, there's no reason for a noobie to buy such an expensive guitar.

I would agree that going with the Epi is a cheaper way to go, but the problem is you'll drop a few hundred now, then end up still spending the $$$ on what you really want later. My advice is, if you can afford it spend your money wisely and get the real deal, you won't regret.

I had the same thought when I bought my first guitar. I really wanted a Standard, and ended up buying a Hamer. The Hamer was an American made solid Mahogany, Maple Top (really nice flaming), two Humbuckers, with a neck very similar to the Gibson 60s. Four months later, I'm trading in the Hamer on the Gibson. Not that the Hamer was bad, but what a difference.:D/

1. spend the dough, buy the gibson LP standard, and never look back.

2. Last July or so, I bought a LP standard gold top. I've had and have other LPs with solid (or "swiss cheese") bodies and really love them. I was very sceptical about the chambering at first (and frankly, extremely pissed off at Gibson for changing the Standard, my favorite guitar in the world!), but I really wanted a gold top at last (and I wanted a 60s neck so I had to give the chambering a shot)...The store said I could return it no questions asked if I didn't like it, so I ordered it. It arrived, I set my scepticism aside, played it for several weeks, and I was a happy camper. It sounds slightly different from my other older standards...but has 110% Les Paul mojo and then some. I actually tend to play it a lot more than any of my other guitars now because it just sounds fantastic to me. "Purists" will disagree with my point of view, and I can certainly appreciate that!... but I say - don't sweat the chambering.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived