Gibson Brands Forums

Newb looking for a bass

MoesSS

Hello all.

I am going to buy an Epi Bass in the next week or so and need some help figuring out what one. Its between the Thunderbird Pro IV and the Thunderbird Classic Pro IV. Now the question. Whats the real difference between the active and passive pick ups? I am not sure i like the idea of needing a 9V to play. I spend 90% of my play time on Rocksmith and the other 10 learning riffs online. I play just for the love of music and don't have any delusions of granger of ever playing more than around a camp fire. Your thoughts of the differences between these two would be great.

thanks

Andy

Hello all.

I am going to buy an Epi Bass in the next week or so and need some help figuring out what one. Its between the Thunderbird Pro IV and the Thunderbird Classic Pro IV. Now the question. Whats the real difference between the active and passive pick ups? I am not sure i like the idea of needing a 9V to play. I spend 90% of my play time on Rocksmith and the other 10 learning riffs online. I play just for the love of music and don't have any delusions of granger of ever playing more than around a camp fire. Your thoughts of the differences between these two would be great.

thanks

Andy

Granger always played around a camp fire, that's why he was so deluded.

You're going to play electric bass around a campfire?

Active pickups have less windings and rely on a built-in preamp to boost the signal. This requires a battery and a circuitboard that are inside of the control cavity. An active pickup probably has a more "modern" sound to it, but arguably gives you more tonal options. A passive pickup is wired straight to the pots & switch without the extra hassle of built-in electronics and wiring.

I'd go for the passive unless you really know that you want that "active" sound. A lot of people dont know how to control their active pickups and usually just end up with an overly harsh tone.

Archived