Gibson Brands Forums

string buzz

sleestack

Hi,

I just got a white gibson SG. Part of the music 123 limited edition on ebay. Anyway, I love it, but I get string buzz. I don't have an amp yet. It just buzzez a little on certain frets. Less so when I play softly. It goes away when I set the action really high but I like it lower better. The frets don't look damaged and the neck seems straight. Its pretty much in mint condition. Is this normal? Am I just playing too hard? I'm not used to playing electrics., Am I supposed to expect a little buzz or play it very lightly?

Thanks!

Sweet looking guitar there sleestack....very nice indeed.

I'm also thinking like deelaz said. I took mine to my tech and had it set up a few days after I bought it....no problems though, just wanted it set up the way I like it. Anyhow he had to do quite a bit of filing on the nut with mine.

Hi' date='

I just got a white gibson SG. Part of the music 123 limited edition on ebay. Anyway, I love it, but I get string buzz. I don't have an amp yet. It just buzzez a little on certain frets. Less so when I play softly. It goes away when I set the action really high but I like it lower better. The frets don't look damaged and the neck seems straight. Its pretty much in mint condition. Is this normal? Am I just playing too hard? I'm not used to playing electrics., Am I supposed to expect a little buzz or play it very lightly?

Thanks![/quote']

i'm pretty sure i have the exact same problem with my les paul vm. if you figure out how to fix it please tell me. mine seems to get better when i restring it because the action is tighter. the tighter strings only last a few days and then i'm back to my annoying buzz. it just started within the last few weeks. our house has some humidity problems so we've been using a dehumidifier so i think that might have screwed my set up. i'm gonna probably try to raise the action if there aren't any better suggestions. i know that it's getting worse as time goes on so i'm a little worried. i'm not sure what to do.

I have a similar issue with my SG Classic. It's really my sons guitar but I play it more than him! It only seemed to buzz somewhere after the 12th fret. I basically know how to set up a guitar but haven't messed much with a truss rod. After I raised the action a little and set the intonation again it really sounds great and doesn't buzz, but I sometimes consider taking it to a pro to see if they can get the action lower without the buzz.

Just curious if anyone else noticed something strange about this particular topic page.

On all other pages, all the text fits horizontally across the page. However, only on this page, I need to use my scroll bar to read the words at the far right. Am I the only one?

Just curious if anyone else noticed something strange about this particular topic page.

On all other pages' date=' all the text fits horizontally across the page. However, only on this page, I need to use my scroll bar to read the words at the far right. Am I the only one? [/quote']

nope i have the same problem

HEre;

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=569756&ppid=1122&image=99274726&images=99274571' date='99274593,99274608,99274622,99274637,99274649,99274660,99274679,99274703,99274726,99274744&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0[/quote']

Great looking guitar, Gibson should really sell the standards in that color, i drooled over them on Music123, I'm waiting for a come back.

My suggestion about your string buzz, could need a fret dressing. My special had a high fret around 15 on the high E that completely stopped any note

past 13.

Also i'm not sure, but that stand looks dangerously like the kind of rubber that eats away a finish. If so I'd think about a foam type replacement. Hate to see that nice white get ruined.

Try this link from gibsons site

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/TechSupport/Instrument%20Information%20Guide/Action/

I set mine up to these specs and i'm still get a bit of a buzz especially on the g string it just sounds all out of whack. maybe needs a little more relief on the neck.

Anyone know a good estimate of how often a guitar should have a complete working over the setting and frets?

i had my frets dressed and everything set about 6 months ago and it played like glass and here i am noticing tarnishing on the frets between where the strings rub from my normal playing. I'm thinking time for a fret polish, seems like it should be good for more than a few months though.

advice?

Here's also a couple of other sites you might find helpfull.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%20Adjustment

...LOL..and one with pictures

http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorkshop/tone.htm#setup

Keep in mind that nothings really writting in stone....whatever works and how you like it. As far as how often between set ups depends on a few things like climate, playing time and so on. LOL...and if you use a pro depends on how many guitars you have.

sleestack - I've got a standard with the action set real low and have always had some string buzz. When I asked my tech about it he said it's normal if you like you're action real low and that his buzzed more than mine. The main thing is whether you hear it through your amp. If you've had a tech check your setup and you still get buzz 'cause you like real low action, don't worry about it if you don't hear it through the amp.

As far as how low you can go before string buzz it all depends on the guitar. I have a sg standard that won't buzz no matter how low i go, i play string limbo with it just for amusement and the strings can be just about touching without any buzz....

On the other hand i've had guitars that seem no matter what you do, set up, string height ect. They just buzz. I call them buzzers.....

Then of course there are one's that with a little tlc become monster playa's........

Archived