Gibson Brands Forums

I can now make my own version of "The Log"

Rabs

haha.. so I went over to my workshop today to do a few bits and bobs (am waiting for parts to continue with my builds that should arrive this week)..

Anyway so my parents (cos im still working in their garage :)) had been to a garden centre for some bits and this one the went to had a bunch of wood for sale and of course they thought of me and came back with this

DSC04138_zps7703780a.jpg

LOL.. well maybe not to make guitars from (we will see depends what wood it is under there).. but to maybe make some rustic boxes or some kind of furniture..

As you can probably see its an old railway sleeper.. apparently they had a whole load of them made from various woods.. this is just a half size one they cut up.. £30 for a whole one.. So we will see what I can do (if anything) with that.. Sooo.. yet more reclaimed wood to work with :)

Looks cool Rabs.

The only thing I would consider is protect yourself when cutting it.

The railroad ties here have creosote in them to preserve them.

Not sure what you use over there but I am always paranoid when dealing with treated wood.

Just don't have a campfire with it ;)

Looks cool Rabs.

The only thing I would consider is protect yourself when cutting it.

The railroad ties here have creosote in them to preserve them.

Not sure what you use over there but I am always paranoid when dealing with treated wood.

Just don't have a campfire with it ;)

Haha that's for sure... And yeah I always (mostly) wear a mask and gloves when im cutting and sanding [thumbup]

Hmmm... not too sure I would mess with that much. I cut up and telephone poles with a chain saw when I was about 19 and ended up with some pretty good chemical burns. [rolleyes]

Hmm, that's scary.. I will take that into consideration.. Cheers [thumbup]

Hmmm... not too sure I would mess with that much. I cut up and telephone poles with a chain saw when I was about 19 and ended up with some pretty good chemical burns. [rolleyes]

Mind you in saying that the people who we got this from had cut it in half..

Maybe I will go have a word with them :-k

The last thing I want to do is to be making toxic guitars lol ;)

What about a guitar stand (or two) or rack?

JoshAtlasStands and our very own Bence have some great ideas posted here which can be used as inspiration for your own creative spark...

BTW and completely off-topic; are you coming tomorrow?.....................:-k

P.

What about a guitar stand (or two) or rack?

JoshAtlasStands and our very own Bence have some great ideas posted here which can be used as inspiration for your own creative spark...

BTW and completely off-topic; are you coming tomorrow?.....................:-k

P.

Well after the above warnings I went and looked it up on the net.. As usual theres all sorts of varying opinions BUT the one that does seem to be unified is that you shouldn't use treated wood on anything indoors or that skin is going to come in contact with AND that you should be REALLY careful if you do use them and cut them outdoors etc...

However some say that the old ones are safe as they have stopped bleeding and indeed this piece is not sticky or anything.

So im now not sure I should even try. I can get wood for guitars easy enough.

And sadly no I wont be able to make it tomorrow (I just texted Farns) which is annoying.. Next time we should see if we can find a more central place to go so its easy for all of us to get too and from. But I am up for it 100% (and so is my drummer friend :)).

Archived