Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage vs Batwing SG pickguard?

mountain2012

Both look really good so I can go either way. I hadn't noticed the difference in placement of the tone/vol controls & pup switch between the two until I say a side/side, or rather top/bottom photo of them.

Much lower placement on the vintage

Aster

Well, "I've" always preferred the "Vintage" version. But, I don't have a "problem"

with the Batwing, really. It too, is "Iconic" with SG's. As a lot of you know, by now,

I Did have a problem, with Gibson reducing the amount of beveling, and not

tapering the horns, for (way too many) YEARS!

SO GLAD, they've started doing a much better job of both, lately! The current SG

Standard, and "Original" are just Awesome!! Hope that trend will start and/or

continue, for ALL SG models (Gibson and Epiphone), in the very near future! [thumbup]

CB

Some even like NO pickguard. I like the small one, and...the way I tend to play, I need it! [tongue]

But, they could do, like they do with some of the Les Paul models, and just include it,

with the screws, in the case, but not drill the body, at the factory. Let the customer,

decide. ??? [unsure][smile]

CB

The less plastic the better, my fav is the no pickguard SG Diablo flame top in icetea

Similar here - it's the Supra flame maple body without pickguard in my case.

Nevertheless I don't have any trouble with the Frank Zappa "Roxy" special pickguard design.

I like the "vintage" best but am fine with the "batwing" too. I am used to some kind of pickguard on the SG though. I'm so used to having it there, it looks odd to me if it's missing, unless it's some kind of Deluxe figured top. I had one of the old SG Specials with no pickguard and three knob controls. It looked very alien to me.

The Batwing with P90s and a wraparound tailpiece would be my ideal.

The last issue with that classic configuation would be the Pete Townshend model

from 2002, although it wasn't in the classic cherry finish , it was a sort of dirty orange, pity.

It is the cherry finish, it looks slightly " brownish" because it is done with a satan finish rather than the high gloss. I have one and just love it...mine is the 2001 issue not the limited run custom shop one..they are expensive as hell.......and to answer the original question I do prefer the full batwing on sg's.

v5kf.jpg

It is the cherry finish, it looks slightly " brownish" because it is done with a satan finish rather than the high gloss. I have one and just love it...mine is the 2001 issue not the limited run custom shop one..they are expensive as hell.......and to answer the original question I do prefer the full batwing on sg's.

v5kf.jpg

NICE one, RowdyMoon! [thumbup]

CB

• 1 year later...

I prefer the batwing, but I'm fine with vintage and even no pick guard.

I have a SG Standard 120 that has a batwing pickguard and a SG '60s Tribute that has none and I love both!

My big thing with SGs is I REALLY prefer trapezoid inlays over dots. Much bigger deal to me than pick guard style.

I don't have an SG and no plans to get one- a little on the small side for me.

However, I have always had a thing for the white with black batwing guard.

Also, the batwing has the advantage that if you wanted to route the guitar, use different pups, the guard can be replaced no problem. Also, adding a middle pup.

Of corse, there is also the custom to consider.

Batwing.

I am more of a no pickguard LP guy so I prefer to have vintage style with the pickups mounted on rings rather than suspended from the pickguard - I just think it looks nicer and feels a little more solid plus in most cases I would rather show off more of that beautiful finish than cover it with plastic.

Archived