Gibson Brands Forums

1983 Les Paul Goldburst?

ggjay

It is a Les Paul Custom, and yes, appears to be a gold burst (note you can't see any grain in the top). Most LP Customs from that era in decent condition would be worth about $2,000 - $2,500, but if that is a rare finish it might be worth more. Here is a link to another one for sale, asking $3,200.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-custom-gold-burs-1981-gold-bu#

Since he is asking for an offer, I would probably start out low, say $1,500, and see what he says.

It is a Les Paul Custom, and yes, appears to be a gold burst (note you can't see any grain in the top). Most LP Customs from that era in decent condition would be worth about $2,000 - $2,500, but if that is a rare finish it might be worth more. Here is a link to another one for sale, asking $3,200.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-custom-gold-burs-1981-gold-bu#

Since he is asking for an offer, I would probably start out low, say $1,500, and see what he says.

I think 1500 should be a good start.

Not seeing any grain on the top convinces me that it must be a gold burst. Thanks for that hint! Very helpful.

Meanwhile I've found this: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165294

One of the pictures is a letter from George Gruhn regarding this exact type of guitar.

The guitar I'm interested in seems to have Orange Peel.

Does anyone know what that is exactly and how much it diminishes the value of the guitar.

Orange peel is typical for nitrocellulose finished mahogany. All mahogany parts of my SG and LP guitars do have it. It seems to be caused by varying soak of finish across the wooden surface.

Similar deviations from the ideal smooth finish are common on alder bodies of Fenders, too.

I think 1500 should be a good start.

Not seeing any grain on the top convinces me that it must be a gold burst. Thanks for that hint! Very helpful.

Meanwhile I've found this: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165294

One of the pictures is a letter from George Gruhn regarding this exact type of guitar.

The guitar I'm interested in seems to have Orange Peel.

Does anyone know what that is exactly and how much it diminishes the value of the guitar.

The orange peel on that guitar looks particularly bad to me as I can actually see it in the picture. Usually, it's kind of hard to see it much unless you're looking at it in person. Also, you would want to know if that guitar has the original Shaw pick ups in it.

1383682747[/url]' post='1445916']

Orange peel is typical for nitrocellulose finished mahogany. All mahogany parts of my SG and LP guitars do have it. It seems to be caused by varying soak of finish across the wooden surface.

Similar deviations from the ideal smooth finish are common on alder bodies of Fenders, too.

I believe there is a difference. To me, orange peel looks like orange peel. When the lacquer settles into the grain of the wood, that looks different. Generally, orange peel occurs when the lacquer is applied and they work to buff it out at the factory. When the lacquer settles into the grain of the wood as the guitar ages, that is not called orange peel I believe. The picture of this Les Paul here almost looks like it had lacquer overspray and it wasn't buffed..

...The guitar I'm interested in seems to have Orange Peel.

Hello!

No, it won't, that's natural. My '78 Recording has a very slight orange peel as well. And that one is a well-treated guitar without any restoration attempts. Just like checking, it won't affect it's value.

IMG_2588_zps1e4623c4.jpg

Very nice and unique guitar there! Go for it! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Archived