Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo

RRIDER

I just got a call from the dealer I ordered from telling me Gibson has a new estimated date of Dec 4th for the release of the Midtown Kalamazoo.

I knew the 11/5/13 release date was an estimate...but was hoping Gibson would come through on that date. [crying]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I just emailed Steve at Wildwood Guitars to get an update - haven't heard back from him yet but I saw on the Musicians Friend website this message: "Reserve Today! Expected to Ship 11-11-2013". Sighhhhhh. This is why I haven't pre-ordered a guitar before this one.

"The waiting is the hardest part" (Tom Petty) [unsure]

I am sure they got more orders then 300 . But Gibson is a great guitar builder and it will be worth the wait.

I dig.

I suspect the same situation with more orders than 400 for the Kirk Douglas SG, only Gibson is putting a little more effort into covering their tracks.

For instance, online retailers like GC/MF state the Kirk Douglas SG is still on pre-order. As far as I know, these two (one) merchants have never had one in stock, however there are reviews.?! I think i smell a rat here on the reviews.

Gibson made a few KDSG's but only a few to satisfy a handful of pre-orders. Now the workers are scurrying to fulfill the demand. and hopefully spending a little more time with the guitars on the Q.C Bench and double checking everything before sending them out the door. God I hope so. That kind of release date push back I can live with.

And the MTK might or might not be a limited release, but more than 300? definitely. hence emails from customer service stating "The official number will not be disclosed"

did this same release date push back happen with the Dark Fire or the ever famous and lovely Dusk Tiger by chance?

Yeah I just emailed Steve at Wildwood Guitars to get an update - haven't heard back from him yet but I saw on the Musicians Friend website this message: "Reserve Today! Expected to Ship 11-11-2013". Sighhhhhh. This is why I haven't pre-ordered a guitar before this one.

"The waiting is the hardest part" (Tom Petty) [unsure]

Have you heard back from Steve?

Musicians Friend's site now says expected to ship 12-6-2013. I agree the waiting is hard.

I was hoping we would have them by next week. Now I hope we at least get them next month.

Have you heard back from Steve?

Musicians Friend's site now says expected to ship 12-6-2013. I agree the waiting is hard.

I was hoping we would have them by next week. Now I hope we at least get them next month.

Yes I did hear back from him the same day - just forgot to post here. He called Gibson and they told him that Wildwood would be receiving their shipment of these over the "next week or two". Between what they told him and what Musicians Friend is posting I'm guessing it could be up to another month possibly. I really don't want to slap down the remaining $1000 at Christmas time but I guess we have no choice but to wait. I did send an email to Gibson Customer Support and kindly told them to hurry the hell up. [biggrin]

Just a heads up for you guys in Europe. Thomann has the Midtown Kalamazoo in stock.

Midtown Kalamazoo

Oh I see... they can get one all the way over to Europe but can't get one to Wildwood Guitars in Colorado??? [cursing]

Lol - well the good news is that they actually exist and they're being shipped someplace already... YEA! [biggrin]

Oh I see... they can get one all the way over to Europe....

Lol! I'm pretty sure they had more than one. When I first saw them yesterday the status was in stock. Now only one in stock.

Anyway, I hope you all get your MK's soon and play the hell out of them! I know the waiting is excruciating. [lol] Be sure to post pictures. I am tempted to get one, but I will pass since I got a Midtown Custom which I absolutely love. Cheers!

Lol! I'm pretty sure they had more than one. When I first saw them yesterday the status was in stock. Now only one in stock.

Anyway, I hope you all get your MK's soon and play the hell out of them! I know the waiting is excruciating. [lol] Be sure to post pictures. I am tempted to get one, but I will pass since I got a Midtown Custom which I absolutely love. Cheers!

[thumbup] Not to worry - I'm going to shoot this one like a centerfold.. after I play the hell out of her first :-({|=

[confused]

Yeah, on the MK page on AMS, below the "Add to Cart" button, there is a link for "Price Match - Guarantee." I noticed that Amazon had the MK for $1,082.85 (still do as of now) and submitted that to AMS, who accepted the price match. They then sent me a link to buy the MK for the same price. I figured I could get a few and keep one (selling the others) to defray the cost. The risk of not selling them for above the purchase price is pretty low in my estimation, and even if that happened, AMS has a 45-day window to just return it to them.

You can probably still get it for this price from AMS as long as Amazon still has it listed and they are taking the price-match.

Yeah, on the MK page on AMS, below the "Add to Cart" button, there is a link for "Price Match - Guarantee." I noticed that Amazon had the MK for $1,082.85 (still do as of now) and submitted that to AMS, who accepted the price match. They then sent me a link to buy the MK for the same price. I figured I could get a few and keep one (selling the others) to defray the cost. The risk of not selling them for above the purchase price is pretty low in my estimation, and even if that happened, AMS has a 45-day window to just return it to them.

You can probably still get it for this price from AMS as long as Amazon still has it listed and they are taking the price-match.

Well I have already put down $500 to pre-order mine from Wildwood Guitars back on September 28th so I'm not at all sure I can approach them now after all this time and request that they do a price match with Amazon. This is disheartening to learn I could have saved over $400. [crying]

Well I have already put down $500 to pre-order mine from Wildwood Guitars back on September 28th so I'm not at all sure I can approach them now after all this time and request that they do a price match with Amazon. This is disheartening to learn I could have saved over $400. [crying]

It might be worth a shot. The worst that could happen is they may say no. I don't think they'd drop your order or spit on your guitar for trying.

It might be worth a shot. The worst that could happen is they may say no. I don't think they'd drop your order or spit on your guitar for trying.

Well I just sent Steve an email at Wildwood to see if they will do a price match since the guitars have not even arrived yet. Doesn't hurt to try. I think it's BS for the big box stores to be able to undercut the smaller dealers especially if Wildwood can't match their price. It puts Wildwood in a bad position to sell the same product as such a huge price disadvantage. We'll see what happens.... I feel somewhat bummed out now. Damn.

Well I just sent Steve an email at Wildwood to see if they will do a price match since the guitars have not even arrived yet. Doesn't hurt to try. I think it's BS for the big box stores to be able to undercut the smaller dealers especially if Wildwood can't match their price. It puts Wildwood in a bad position to sell the same product as such a huge price disadvantage. We'll see what happens.... I feel somewhat bummed out now. Damn.

Sorry to bum you out! I agree with your comment about about the box store BS ... unfortunately, that's the way industry has been moving for years (see Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.) You generally do get better service with the smaller dealers though, and building a relationship with them can sometimes make up for the price differences.

I also ordered from AMS and should receive them on Wednesday. When they decided to honor my price match request to Amazon at $1,082.85, I figured why not buy 3? [thumbup]

Didn't you leave feedback on Amazon about having an MK and decided to buy 3 more?

How and where did you get one already?

Didn't you post feedback on Amazon about already having a MK, and decided to buy 3 more?

How and where do you get one already?

No, I didn't post on Amazon. I got them from AMS and you can see that the review on Amazon is an Amazon-verified purchase. I don't know how that guy got one already. I haven't received or even seen a live MK as of yet. Wednesday is the day though (according to FedEx). I will post pics and maybe a vid once I can dig into it.

Archived