Gibson Brands Forums

REALLY stupid question

wiggy

What is the actual difference between a Dove and a Hummingbird?

I've looked at both, I've played both but I can't seem to see a whole lot of difference.

I know I must be missing something blindingly obvious like 12th as opposed to 14th fret and I feel really stupid but ... Help

Hi Wiggy! The Epi Hummingbird and the Dove are very similar..dreds, solid sitka tops, standard scale etc...the difference is in the back and side laminated woods...and laminated guitars DO reflect the tone of the wood...the Hummingbird has laminated mahogany which is often referred to as being the best to accommodate a singers voice. It is warm, rich and balanced. The Dove back and sides are made of laminated Maple...which is generally more bright in tone than Mahogany. Both new models are electrified and amp ready for plug in. The older models did not have a pick up..the new Hummingbird and Dove do have pick ups. Eye appeal has a lot to do with which you prefer to choose for buying also. I own a 2008 Epi Hummingbird, and I am so pleased with its tone, that I can not imagine ever being without one, even though I own other $2000 guitars. The Hummingbird is different in its sweet bright clean clear tones and it begs to be sung with! And it is also my personal preference over the Dove, tho both are quite beautifully done. While I don't own a Dove, I can honestly say I like my Epi Hummingbird more than most $2000 guitars, even tho it only cost $299 new. I went for many years without one, thinking they were probably not good sounding. I was very wrong. They sound incredibly good for the price, they look good and play extremely well also. They are eye magnets. Pull out an Epi Hummingbird anywhere..your living room, outdoors at the camp fire, or on stage...everyone loves my Hummingbird and wants to see it closer! Hope this review helped you. My Hummingbird is my icon picture underneath my name.

OK then what's the difference (apart from "bling") between a Hummingbird (not pro) and a DR220? Same tonewoods and shape?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Epi web site says the DR220S is out of production at this time. Anyway...Very little difference between the DR220 and the Epi HB apart from the bling as you say..Both are dreds...and both have solid tops.... However there may well be a difference in the top bracing of the Epi Hummingbird as compared to the DR220S. This would be to produce that famous Hummingbird sassy nectar tone, known the world over, and found only on the Hummingbird..Epi or Gibson models. While the Epi version obviously is not the same quality as its big $3000 Gibson sister it clearly does produce it... " that famous sassy Gibson nectar tone, whenever your pick strikes closer to the bridge area. : A tone many people find utterly addicting. It is not likely that the DR220, even tho the specs are similar, will produce that same mesmerizing tone. The Epi HB does it in spades. I probably prefer that sound more than any on my previously owned 27 high end guitars. And so the difference between the Epiphone DR220S...and the Epiphone Hummingbird is likely the tone. The DR220S will produce a sound and tone more akin to an ordinary dred guitar...the Humminbird will supply the sassy addicting nectar zing so useful in every genre and generation of music.

Archived