Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone identify my guitar?

Haza1981

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I'm trying to identify my guitar. It's serial number is 80200068 and it was made on 20th January 1980 in the Kalamazoo factory USA. I really want to know what model it is. it looks like the s-310 series but with humbucker pickups. The S series didn't start getting made until 1986 so it can't be that. I have attached a pic to look at.

post-60495-048127500 1384173758_thumb.jpg

But the serial number does not match that. It says it was made in 1980 in Kalamazoo

I would say that you can probably take RTH's answer as gospel. Epiphone production at Kalamazoo ended in 1969.

"When Norlin purchased CMI (Gibson) in 1969, all Epiphone production was moved to Japan. Later, productions was moved to Korea. Many of the imported instruments bear a label with Gibson's Kalamazoo address and no mention of Japan or Korea, which can be misleading. However, these import instruments have model numbers that do not correspond with Kalamazoo made Epiphone model numbers listed below. Also the serial number is usually 7 digits or longer (unlike U.S. made Epi's with a 6 digit or less serial number)."

Vintage Guitars Info

I would say that you can probably take RTH's answer as gospel. Epiphone production at Kalamazoo ended in 1969.

"When Norlin purchased CMI (Gibson) in 1969, all Epiphone production was moved to Japan. Later, productions was moved to Korea. Many of the imported instruments bear a label with Gibson's Kalamazoo address and no mention of Japan or Korea, which can be misleading. However, these import instruments have model numbers that do not correspond with Kalamazoo made Epiphone model numbers listed below. Also the serial number is usually 7 digits or longer (unlike U.S. made Epi's with a 6 digit or less serial number)."

Vintage Guitars Info

Awww man, I have always loved the fact the guitar is a year older than me. Oh well I still think it's a great guitar. Any idea on the value of these things? Sub £200?

Thanks for the help guys

The first number of the serial indicated the last number of the manufacturing date. For example: 7=1978 / 8=1988 / 9=1989 and so on. Some exceptions include the 1990's models where the numbers "91" will mean 1991, while on other models a one (1) will indicate the same year of 1991. But this didnt start happening until the 1990's, and even then it was usually the first digit indicating the last number of the year. Double digit year indicators from that time period are uncommon.

But with the S-Series guitars like yours, they were only manufactured from 1986-1989, with the exception of the S-300, 310 & 210 which ran until approximatley 2004. But there were no strat-style Epiphone guitars made before 1986. All S-Series guitars from this time frame were made in Samick, Korea. Others later down the line were made in Samick as well as other Korean factories and Indonesia.

As well, nothing from that era would have been made in the USA. There were still some guitars being made in Japan in 1986, but mostly archtops and acoustics. There was a run of Les Paul and SG guitars made in Kalamazoo around 1982, but that was just a special run for only one or two years at the most. In 1980, most Epiphone were still being made in Japan. There were very few Epiphone solid body electric guitars made from 1979-1981. The Genesis is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there was a couple more from that era.

Hope this helps.

These S-Series guitars were actually pretty cool. I have the S-500. The great thing about these guitars are the necks. They are wonderful and well made. The bodies werent always that great. Some were made from laminates and others were made from Phillipine Mahogany or some equivelent tonewood. The electronics werent great either, but easy enough to replace if you like the guitar enough to do so...which I have done as well. Mine is my main guitar because it plays so well.

There isnt really much resale value to these guitars. A mint S-400 might fetch $150 in mint condition in the right market. Unfortunately for the S-Series, its alot easier to take a chance on a Squier Strat than one of these. Everyone knows of Fender and Squier Strats, but most have no idea about the S-Series, which helps to decrease the desirability and in some ways decrease the value.

Archived