Gibson Brands Forums

650r/700t

aomena

hey guys,

I got, a couple weeks ago, a 94' LP 100.

I had to re-wire the whole guitar since the wiring was falling apart.

I thought the pickups in it were supposed to be the 6505/700t, but when I took them out, they don't have the EPIPHONE name on the back.

epibakv.jpg

they also sound less aggressive and brittle then the videos i've seen on youtube of the 650/700.

Did the lp 100 come with different pickups in the 90's?

thanks

I don't know about the LP 100, but my G310 has those pups and they aren't known for their punch and clarity. Do they sound a little muddy? Just curious cause mine do.

they do, but they are not so bad with the cleans as I've heard.

and every time i see a video on youtube with them, people use solid state amps with the distortion cranked up, and they sound like trash cans.

mine dont sound as bad.

Idk if the guitar changed after the 90's.

mine also weights around 12lbs.

Hmmm, I just realized that the ratings on this chart are from a scale of 1-10 according to a scale by Epiphone. These arent the actual outputs. I'll see if I can find something else.

EDIT: Oops. This is only the left half of the chart. The right half shows the actual output. Let me put it together. Give me a few.

The only Epiphone pickups with numbers that match are the EMG HZ pickups in the Zakk Wylde sig guitars. I would have to say that they are not original. Even though the charts I have dont go back to 1994, I think its safe to say that Epiphone wouldnt have put pickups that hot in a LP-100. They've got to be aftermarket...but who knows what.

The only Epiphone pickups with numbers that match are the EMG HZ pickups in the Zakk Wylde sig guitars. I would have to say that they are not original. Even though the charts I have dont go back to 1994, I think its safe to say that Epiphone wouldnt have put pickups that hot in a LP-100. They've got to be aftermarket...but who knows what.

they also have a silver plate on the back, instead of gold.

another thing is they don't have these 6 long screw ends sticking on the back, but only 4 screws(heads facing the back of the pickup)

so basically im saying that both coils on the pup are flat on top, and not (screws/flat)

not like this:

$T2eC16FHJIYFHOPBOM,tBS,T7640EQ~~60_57.JPG

like this:

$(KGrHqF,!hcFETK,SnzHBROYtkorRQ~~60_3.JPG

has EPI ever used pick ups like these?

any ideas on how i could find out which pups are these?

is there a way to even find out what kind of material they are made of?

thanks!

• 4 years later...

The 700T pickups I have do not have any sticker on the back. Brass base with "Epiphone" only.

One white wire and one ground (shield). Wax potted. The one sitting here reads out at 16.5k ohms.

I have these in 3 of my Epi solid bodies. I play hard rock/metal, and these sound good on my amp.

Playing through a Marshall AVT50H and a 4x12 with G12T75's in the top and G12H100's in the bottom.

Surprisingly, I can walk right up to the front of my amp, at volume loud enough to play with our full band,

and they do not feed back. Also playing some downtuned material, (CGCFAD is one tuning) and they sound great to my ears.

Full tone, great distortion. I don't know what the guys who say they sound like tin are playing through, or what pedals they use,

but through my Marshall, and my other guitarist's EVH5150 III they sound good. And I only use a wah, and sometimes an eq for slight boost.

I rely on my amps pre-amp sound for distortion.

Also, I would say tone wise, that it's comparable to the Gibson 498T I have in my Epi SG, but the Gibson is more microphonic than the 700T.

A little brighter than say my SD Invader, but it allows solos to push through better.

I'm guessing they don't like the sound of high output ceramic magnet pickups?

Just my opinion.

And if any of you have 700T pickups you hate and want to part with, msg me, I may be interested.

post-11926-068287600 1512584613_thumb.jpg

Edited by gearhead

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...