Gibson Brands Forums

help identify this guitar please

yo bro

Hey There..

New to the forum...found it while i was trying to do some research on a guitar that was recently left to me by my father..

i think its a gibson L5 but not really sure so thought id ask here for any info regarding this guitar.

it has an amazing lowend to it...absolutly love it...beautiful tone..very different from, any other guitar ive ever played.

it has a 16inch waist and while i cant see any sticker inside it does have the numbers 829-9 the 829 seems printed in black ink while the "-" and the last "9" is written in red pen...there may be another number at the start as there appears to be a little ink smudge..maybe nothing though!!

overall this babys in great shape..the tuning heads have been lowered down (repositioned) but other than that she seems good.

also loving the case which has an emblem with "lifton..built like a fortress" pressed on it..haha

is this an L5??...all/any comments appreciated..

thanks..

Unfortunately, this is not an L5. L5's are quite a bit fancier than this. It's probably an L50, which was a lower grade instrument. Your factory order number looks like it may date the guitar to 1936. If the smudge is really another number, then that date would be incorrect. If it's a four-digit number followed by the hyphen and the red number, then it could date to the later 30's or even the early 1940's.

Unfortunately, this is not an L5. L5's are quite a bit fancier than this. It's probably an L50, which was a lower grade instrument. Your factory order number looks like it may date the guitar to 1936. If the smudge is really another number, then that date would be incorrect. If it's a four-digit number followed by the hyphen and the red number, then it could date to the later 30's or even the early 1940's.

Hey Jim..

thanks for that...

Archived