Gibson Brands Forums

Manual tuning with Min-ETune

DC Steinbrenner

I just got the SG Standard with min etune.

Are the tuners supposed to turn freely all the time to manually tune? Sometimes the A will not turn either way.

Also, the auto tune seems to tune all strings sharp in RED mode standard tuning (haven't tested any other tunings yet) is there a way to sort of reset the tuning? I did a calibration that I found on a post on this board but that didn't help.

One more question, as far as setting intonation on this guitar, is that the same method as a normal non min etune guitar?

It is a little off so not sure if that is what is causing the sharp notes.

Thanks

Don

I just got the SG Standard with min etune.

Are the tuners supposed to turn freely all the time to manually tune? Sometimes the A will not turn either way.

Also, the auto tune seems to tune all strings sharp in RED mode standard tuning (haven't tested any other tunings yet) is there a way to sort of reset the tuning? I did a calibration that I found on a post on this board but that didn't help.

One more question, as far as setting intonation on this guitar, is that the same method as a normal non min etune guitar?

It is a little off so not sure if that is what is causing the sharp notes.

Thanks

Don

Intonation is the same as a standard guitar, physics haven't changed because an electric motor is in the tuners. If intonation is off it can effect the tuning. Even the way and position where you strum when tuning will effect it according to the manual. It is recommended to strum close to the end of the fingerboard at the neck pickup when tuning. Fortunately I have no tuning issues with mine.

• 3 months later...

I just received a LPM yesterday and there is also an issue with only the A tuner, it was stuck but after some back and forth it freed up however there is still a catch in one spot that has to be forced a little to move past that one particular spot when manually tuning or detuning and not smooth like the other tuners.

Very odd we both have an issue with the A tuner, I have searched all over and you appear to be the only one that posted about the issue as well.

I am also wondering why Gibson left out the advanced menu for Calibration and other settings, have you noticed this? If you look at Tronicals manual there are a lot more settings compared to Gibsons manual.

My bad, Gibson didn't leave anything out, I was pressing Menu and Right and holding at the same time. I tried pressing Menu and holding and then pressing Enter and I got into the menu (Menu lights up yellow as it should)

Gibson did leave some of the functions out of their manual compared to the Tronical manual. Can the firmware be upgraded? there is a way to check the firmware version but I don't see a port anywhere to upgrade the firmware. Never mind, checked Tronical's site and an adapter will be available with the new firmware, guess it will have to be purchased when a new firmware revision is available if you want to take advantage of any new features it may add.

Still have the issue with the A tuner and is going back for exchange.

Update, took the tuner apart which was easy enough. 2 small screws and it comes apart easily, 5 or 6 small gears inside and one of them is missing a few teeth, I would imagine that one was not aligned properly (lodged) or had a machining defect and caused the tuner to jam when manual tuning and by forcing it it freed up by chewing those teeth off however now that caused the catch while tuning manually. Looks like there are independent gears for the robot tuning and the manual tuning.

If yours is still stuck you could take it apart, I can see how one of the gears could become dislodged which can easily be remedied by a reseating of the gears. Just keep track of which gear goes where while taking them out.

• 5 months later...

These mini E tuners are something I can do without thanks. I can manage to tune my guitars manually in under a minute, so why do I need this?

This seems like tech for its own sake here. Gibson have invented a cure for a problem that doesn't exist, its a non starter in my book.

Neither do I need a guitar which plugs into a computer, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Yeah intonation is key, especially in this situation. Just because the open strings are in tune, that doesn't necessarily mean every where else along the fretboard is. Fortunately, the G-Force/Min E Tune can be turn manually. If you're savvy enough, look up your guitar's manual and see how to set up your guitar. If you do not feel that confident, you can always take it to a tech to get intonated. It should be good at this point so long as you keep the string gauge the same.

Archived