Gibson Brands Forums

cynical, evil, and twisted

myspace.com/jessenoah

I havent been on the forums too much lately, but after a quick glance over at the darkfire forums, there seems to be alot of unhappy customers. People complaining about technology bugs, missing paperwork and the like.

I LOVE IT

the more the darkfire fails, the happier i am that technology and guitars do not go hand in hand.

to the people that bought em-im sorry that you bought into the advertising

to us corksniffing purists who think that any guitar that has the features a vintage 59 burst is all you need-victory

flame suit engauged

I havent been on the forums too much lately' date=' but after a quick glance over at the darkfire forums, there seems to be alot of unhappy customers. People complaining about technology bugs, missing paperwork and the like.

[b']I LOVE IT[/b]

the more the darkfire fails, the happier i am that technology and guitars do not go hand in hand.

to us corksniffing purists who think that any guitar that has the features a vintage 59 burst is all you need-victory

flame suit engauged

Nothing to flame here.. I think you're totally right.

I havent been on the forums too much lately' date=' but after a quick glance over at the darkfire forums, there seems to be alot of unhappy customers. People complaining about technology bugs, missing paperwork and the like.

[b']I LOVE IT[/b]

flame suit engauged

Why would you feel good about something not going well that other people like and see as a new tool for greater creativity? Maybe you don't have the creativity, talent or vision to see the usefulness of alternate tunings that can be brought up on-the-fly but that doesn't mean that nobody does.

You're too young to sound like a cranky old fool who is too stuck in his ways to accept anything out of his normal world.

I don't hate the tech guitars' date='but don't have any use for them either.I could care less if they sink or float.

It is weird kinda to have so many people saying they are gassing or jonesing

for them and they never saw or heard one.I guess they are gassing over the idea of it.[/quote']

Some people want to be on the cutting edge. It is the same people who wait for days outside the Apple store for the launch of new iPhone models.

I spent some time over at the Dark Fire forum and I feel bad for those guys. It sounds like Gibson jumped the gun on the release and now have a lot of unhappy customers.

I also think it is interesting that Mike has not stepped to the plate and tried to help some of those guys with their questions.

Never used one. Time will tell on these things. Electric guitars without the gizmos have been around for a long time and I believe they will always be around. But when you add any kind of computer-type technology to the mix you probably aren't looking for a long run on a particular model. Remember the Gibson Recorder? It may be a neat vintage guitar, but how many people actually use it these days? If you like the technology and it works for you, then great. I NEVER thought I would go for a modeling amp until I played the Vetta II, which blew me away. For me modeling amps is as far as I'll go without gizmos. But to each their own...

Why would you feel good about something not going well that other people like

i feel bad for te people who bought it' date=' but i m still happy to see the technology fail

a new tool for greater creativity? Maybe you don't have the creativity, talent or vision to see the usefulness of alternate tunings that can be brought up on-the-fly but that doesn't mean that nobody does.

i have said it before and i will say it again, technology in a guitar MUST REMAIN ANALOG

bring me all of the latest new technology, and i will be the first to want it and play it

but it has to stay analog

a good example

a marshall plexi amp->good

a marshall master volume amp (some say)->better

the only thing i dig about the robot is that we have some cats here on the forum that make em sound damn good

and the on the fly tuning is cool

but its easy and quick to do it by hand too

[b']I LOVE IT[/b]

flame suit engauged

Loose the suit Jess,

Your right IMO what I would say though, each to their own!

Flight959

I tend to agree. Though part of me wonders if this same point was made by acoustic guitar players when the first electric guitars came out.

Martin Mull said it best years ago...

"If God had intended us to play acoustic guitars then he wouldnt have invented amplifiers"

i have said it before and i will say it again' date=' technology in a guitar MUST REMAIN ANALOG

bring me all of the latest new technology, and i will be the first to want it and play it

but it has to stay analog

a good example

a marshall plexi amp->good

a marshall master volume amp (some say)->better

the only thing i dig about the robot is that we have some cats here on the forum that make em sound damn good

and the on the fly tuning is cool

but its easy and quick to do it by hand too

[/quote']

Look, I'm a total analog guy myself because that's what *I* like, but WHY MUST all guitar remain analog? Why must all electric guitar tones sound like the same thing that I've already heard 100,000 before in the past? Why do I have to listen to ANOTHER wanker playing bad SRV riffs while trying to cop his tone?

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but how much gigging have you done? You're talking about loud, non master volume Marshall amps but how many shows have you ever played where you can actually crank one up and take full advantage it? As for tuning, how long do you think an audience is willing to wait for a guitar player to retune his guitar for a song in an alternate tuning and then tune it back again for the following song?

The advantage of the Dark Fire is that it gives guitar players a mess of different sounds and tunings all in one guitar. Now, that probably isn't something that a rock star who has a road crew and guitar tech probably cares much about because they can haul around as many different guitars with as many different tunings as they want along with a bunch of amps without ever having to touch a road case themselves. But for someone who is playing bars, doing club tours, making a living as a studio musician or even playing in the house band of a late night talk show, the Dark Fire is a tool that can provide a lot of options in one package without breaking your back.

For me, I have to be able to put my guitar, amp and gig case all in the trunk of my Honda. Sure, I *could* buy a 4x12 cabinet but it would be a detriment - too much volume, takes up too much space, and no open back so my drummer can hear my playing if all we get is vocals in the monitors. I could bring more than two guitars but then I have to worry about someone seeing them in the backseat of my car, breaking in and stealing it or, worse, all my gear.

Look, there's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist who strictly plays at home for enjoyment; playing because you enjoy it is what it's all about no matter whether you gig or not. The Dark Fire probably has limited appeal to hobbyists unless they're someone who has either budget or space/storage limitations so they can't own a whole stable of guitars. But, don't try to preach about huge amplifiers, being able to leisurely retune for songs or having the luxury of being able to haul around a crapload of guitars unless you've actually done it and had to do it yourself without a crew. It's all fun to be able to post about ideal pro gear on message boards but reality for most guitar players is a lot different.

Look' date=' I'm a total analog guy myself because that's what *I* like, but WHY MUST all guitar remain analog? [/quote']

have you ever herd the phrase, "you cant fake the funk?"

just my opinion, but once you start "cheating," then you are doing just that, cheating

its kind of a weird ocd about me, if you disagree, more power to you

I don't want you to take this the wrong way' date=' but how much gigging have you done? You're talking about loud, non master volume Marshall amps but how many shows have you ever played where you can actually crank one up and take full advantage it? As for tuning, how long do you think an audience is willing to wait for a guitar player to retune his guitar for a song in an alternate tuning and then tune it back again for the following song? [/quote']

i think i could count on two hands how many gigs ive done, most of my playing occurs in a garage, or a sound booth behind closed doors, for recording i have a couple amps i use, i really like the blackheart, but when i play rap or hip hop, or music styles where i need more gain, i use the jcm800

i meant the master volume thing as a good example of analog technology

as for tuning, i use a boss TU-2, i can get any guitar tuned in pretty much a minute or less

The advantage of the Dark Fire is that it gives guitar players a mess of different sounds and tunings all in one guitar. Now' date=' that probably isn't something that a rock star who has a road crew and guitar tech probably cares much about because they can haul around as many different guitars with as many different tunings as they want along with a bunch of amps without ever having to touch a road case themselves. But for someone who is playing bars, doing club tours, making a living as a studio musician or even playing in the house band of a late night talk show, the Dark Fire is a tool that can provide a lot of options in one package without breaking your back.

[/quote']

time to contridict myself, gibson was really onto something with the robot guitar, but the darkfire taking it too far

Look' date=' there's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist who strictly plays at home for enjoyment; playing because you enjoy it is what it's all about no matter whether you gig or not. The Dark Fire probably has limited appeal to hobbyists unless they're someone who has either budget or space/storage limitations so they can't own a whole stable of guitars. But, don't try to preach about huge amplifiers, being able to leisurely retune for songs or having the luxury of being able to haul around a crapload of guitars unless you've actually done it and had to do it yourself without a crew. It's all fun to be able to post about ideal pro gear on message boards but reality for most guitar players is a lot different.

[/quote']

i dont play is a band, most of my playing is 1 or 2 recording sessions @ a time. sometimes i use protools, sometimes i use audacity, or someother computerized recording tool, point is, sometimes to get the job done, i have to use technology

however, just because my gig experience is limited, my LIVE experience isnt.

i know what it is to limit dead time, manage volume levels, and haul around backbreaking amounts of guitars/amps/chords

trust me, my money is where my mouth is

you would have to be an idiot to fail rather then use technology, but thats not the point i was trying to make.

If you get a chance, go read some of the darkfire posts, there are features like an acoustic simulator, the ability to coil tap/out of phase, onboard EQ, self intonating, self tuning, onboard waffle maker, and can cut onions without causing tears............

ok but seriously, all of these features, yet the features fail

technology from 2008, compared to technology from the late 50s

digital technology, compared to analog technology

the more the darkfire fails' date=' the happier i am that technology and guitars do not go hand in hand.

[/quote']

in the big picture, it comes down to personal need, i dont need a guitar that can tune itself because i can tune quickly and cleanly on my own (and even if you cant tune on your own-how do you think the rolling stones got ther twang-y-ness lol)

but for my personal opinion which is keep it old school, tell the digtal age to shove it, i am happy to see the darkfire fail

but nothing personal gibson, you guys' worst guitar is still miles above the next

Archived