Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Approach for Truss Rod Adjustment

Haley L.

Hi. I have a Steinberger 12 string from back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. It's my favorite travel guitar because it is so wonderfully small. Anyway. I'm getting back into playing after a 15 year lay off and this time I'm going for lead instead of rhythm. Now I see that I have distinct buzzing at about the 12th fret. From reading, I *think* this is a truss rod adjustment. But from reading, I've also learning you can break the guitar if you are not careful.

Any recommendations on who to send it to? What to expect? I'm on the East Coast. I could hand deliver to New York City.

I love the guys at my local music shop, but would taking it to them be a big mistake?

Hi. I have a Steinberger 12 string from back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. It's my favorite travel guitar because it is so wonderfully small. Anyway. I'm getting back into playing after a 15 year lay off and this time I'm going for lead instead of rhythm. Now I see that I have distinct buzzing at about the 12th fret. From reading, I *think* this is a truss rod adjustment. But from reading, I've also learning you can break the guitar if you are not careful.

Any recommendations on who to send it to? What to expect? I'm on the East Coast. I could hand deliver to New York City.

I love the guys at my local music shop, but would taking it to them be a big mistake?

You can ask for referrals of your local shops work? If you are close to NJ, Russo Music in Asbury Park is awesome and can handle anything you throw at them. I would let a tech decide if it is a truss rod adjustment that is needed or something else. But, truss rod adjustments (if needed) are not an issue for any qualified tech as they know when to stop, how much to turn the nut and when it is time to look elsewhere for the cause of the buzz. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out!

You can ask for referrals of your local shops work? If you are close to NJ, Russo Music in Asbury Park is awesome and can handle anything you throw at them. I would let a tech decide if it is a truss rod adjustment that is needed or something else. But, truss rod adjustments (if needed) are not an issue for any qualified tech as they know when to stop, how much to turn the nut and when it is time to look elsewhere for the cause of the buzz. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out!

Thanks! I could probably get myself to Asbury Park.

Hi. I have a Steinberger 12 string from back in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

A Steinberger of that age doesn't have a truss rod. Only those made during the Music Yo era (2002-2008) using Moses necks, but there aren't any 12-strings among them.

What kind of guitar? GL? GM?

Bernd

Archived