Gibson Brands Forums

Seen these on FB

Motherofpearl

And why is that nick? There's natural 60s birds? Or is it because you say so?

Just me, pay no attention. I frequently mouth off without having a clue of what I'm talking about.

I haven't learned to always engage brain before opening mouth.

Aaaahhh.... So Brazil ! Explains the walnut. And the 4 SJ200s 3 traditional with maple. I imagine mahogany in Brazil is a harder sell than Walnut.

Like some here might refer to as 'bringing coal to Newcastle'.

Nick, one of the advantages here, being among friends, is we can spout off opinions. I agree - a bird isn't a bird (implied "TO ME') if it doesn't have some kind of burst. I don't think I'd include 'cobra-burst' as cobra is the anti-thesis of birds. To me, an SJ200 should be natural, but most like a burst. Even more so on an SJ100. I would never kick a good Gibson out of bed because it was a non-traditional color. I doubt any of us here would.

Someone here gushed a couple of weeks ago, congratulating a memeber's NGD acquisition of a J45 - and said it was an iconic model. Another member bristled at that. I guess the problem is - when you praise one model or version - some folks feel you are implying criticism of others. Not so, but there you are.

I know Nick I was a little grumpy and took offence.

My 11 year old has 10 girls over for a sleepover so you can imagine what I'm going through or maybe not?

I really like the 60s birds in natural don't get me wrong I love the cherryburst aswell. But I love black walnut as a back and side wood. Mahogany and walnut both are great.

The walnut is a little less woody and more clear kinda like a hybrid of hog and maple.

Anyhow sorry folks I didn't mean to go off like an idiot.

Juan so these are custom ordered to Brazil?

Absolutely beautiful guitars and I bet they sound as good as they look. Has anyone figured-up how many guitar models Gibson has under the names Hummingbird, J45, and J200?

A couple of months ago OneWiley put together a list of J45s and came up with a couple of dozen. I believe, to Gibson, the term "J45", "Jumbo" or "Hummingbird" is comparable to the concept of "sedan", "SUV", "Crossover", "Coupe" , etc. in the auto industry. Within those general categories they create/extrapolate many models, colors and option packages.

I have seen a few of the walnut Hummingbirds in burst. Ebay, and Sweetwater if I remember correctly. These were available earlier this year. I was considering one before I ordered my True Vintage, along with a koa. Walnut, mahogany, Koa, , and quilted maple are my favorite tone woods. While they all sound great on the Hummingbird , they all bring a little something different to the table. Mahogany is the only wood that gives you that classic Hummingbird warmth and sweetness.

Archived