Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone own/play Rocksmith 2014 ?

crust

With the inclusion of a small advertising "flier" in the package included with the recent LP Junior stating "Epiphone is the official guitar of Rocksmith", I got curious. So, I ordered the PC version (hey, what else besides internetting do you use your computer for ?)

Anyone have/play that "game"...comments ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's fantastic.

i started guitar on july 1, just 6 months ago, with the original rs, which i prefer. i use it to learn songs, practive my scales, and such and then use rs2014 for session jams and the riff repeater.

i can't say enough good things about it. i've learned tons and tons, a bunch of songs, including srv and some heavy hitter guitar songs.

i practice quite a bit

JWoOrPb.jpg

you'll discover some negs. no point in clouding things up right now for you though.

i would recommend playing with just the bridge pickup though, that's a pretty widespread observation i've come across.

LP Jr has but 1 p/u, but much thanks for the tip. I'll use when playing other guitars with it [thumbup][thumbup]

Definitely worth it, I have been using Rocksmith 2011, the 2014 version is definelty an upgrade, especially when using session mode, it allows you to play with a virtual band and the band depending on key adjusts your tempo. It's completly customizable. The lessons section defenetly is worth the time, it got m wife to play Bass and shes getting better every day and shes been anly playing a few weeks.

ArGo [thumbup]

Definitely worth it, I have been using Rocksmith 2011, the 2014 version is definelty an upgrade, especially when using session mode, it allows you to play with a virtual band and the band depending on key adjusts your tempo. It's completly customizable. The lessons section defenetly is worth the time, it got m wife to play Bass and shes getting better every day and shes been anly playing a few weeks.

ArGo [thumbup]

It's in the mail...Hopefully arrive next week. I'm looking forward to checking it out. 60 days. hmmm. I'll give it a shot. :)

Can the original , 2011 version, be used in conjunction with or in addition to the 2014 version ? I see mentioned some have it and prefer it over the 2014 version. Are there differences, maybe get both as a more comprehensive learning tool ?

Can the original , 2011 version, be used in conjunction with or in addition to the 2014 version ? I see mentioned some have it and prefer it over the 2014 version. Are there differences, maybe get both as a more comprehensive learning tool ?

they are very different.

but yes, they are compatible and it's a great way to expand the song list for cheap, you can buy the original rs then buy a $10 licensing fee that will import all of those tracks into rs2014, + you will also have access to the rs2011 downloadable content for puchase also. i recently noticed on steam that they were offering the original for 75% off.

i primarilyuse the original rs for a few reasons

1. the game show your score during the track, making it much easier to see if i am maintaining my performance on particular sections.

2. it also replays the practice session immediately after showing your performance, i use this a lot, playing along a 2nd time and seeing my overall performance, this has helped me tremendously.

3. the guitarcade game scale runner is far and away superior to the scale games of the new version for learning and understanding scales.

the new version is very very picky on notes also, especially bends. you have to hit a bend perfect- absolutely perfectly nuanced, or it won't count. for me, nuance is not a guitar skill or lesson so they interupt my progress, i.e, the game will not let you progress until you nail that nuanced bend consistently. this is very frustating for me as i play mostly blues, which is loaded with bends, several of the bends in 1 track (born under a bad sign/srv & albert king) have 3 humps in 1 bar!

i'll try and add some more as i can recall.

here's an example.

this is my performance on the song in the original rs

cm0e1aU.jpg

these are some screen grabs of the last of dozens and dozens and dozens of times playing the track on the new version and it not letting me move forward

WPNmmbw.jpg

Scott0, you know you can just increase the sections in Riff Repeater and then it will keep you at the higher level. You can change any part of the song you want and then play the whole thing.

I have both versions and like both for different reasons. I like the game play of RS 1 where you "beat" different songs picked by the game and them were rewarded with a concert performance. RS 2 is better with more types of bends and seems more accurate to the real songs. You can set up a continuous play option to play for as long as you want and it will randomly pick which songs. Otherwise you just play songs one at a time with the added feature of stopping at any point to work on a solo or tricky transition. In the old one it was a pain to do this and had to go off the games selected sections.

One annoying thing in 2 is in continuous play, there are so many tunings that you can end up having to retune between every song.

Highly recommend Rocksmith in general though. Lots of fun.

Scott0, you know you can just increase the sections in Riff Repeater and then it will keep you at the higher level. You can change any part of the song you want and then play the whole thing.

thanks for the feedback, i've tried it that way as well. it creates some issues, it advances the song too much overall for my skill level, then when playing if you miss notes practicing the song 2x, you are back to where you started, it removes the notes. i've worked all weekend on the roadblock and the issue is the bends in the track.

the software is, as you know, very very picky on notes, consequently, it's too picky on bends. this song has insane bends and each & every one has to be hit on the button or it's a miss. with bends that have 3 bends within 1 bend and measure, etc, the chances of hitting each & every one every single time i practice is extremely difficult, especially when learning them. the software then removes those bends and i have to fight just to get those bends back in the note stream. it's very very very very frustrating. the original rs has bends graded on 3 levels, good, great, and insane.

i don't have a problem with the game requiring perfect bends, in fact, i want that but i think that sort of nuance should be introduced in the last 5% of the song. i think it would be better if the game kept feeding me notes until i get all the notes on the noteway and then start challenging me on nuances.

nice to see several of us here playing the game!!!

So, I ordered the PC version (hey, what else besides internetting do you use your computer for ?)

Anyone have/play that "game"...comments ?

I looked at a bunch of videos on YouTube and what I saw was the on screen tab seen to be upside down.

I was thinking of getting one for my grandson.

Ralph

I'm enjoying this. I usually only use the computer for internet and camera stuff, as well as controlling the Fender modeling amps and usb effects pedals. This game adds another aspect to the computer's FUNctionality [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I've seen two string mfg. are now making guitar strings in neon looking colors for Rocksmith customers. They match the on screen colors.

Ralph F

links ?

First attempted song, 1st "run thru", 9% correct, second 34%, 3rd time 39 % [smile][thumbup]

this forum software is not letting me quote you, Ralph, it keeps showing an opening quote tag error.

anyhoo-

there's an option to change to view to reflect tablature. from what i've gathered, the designers concluded the default 3d view would be from behind the neck, it's caused quite a bit of discussion re: whether that's right or wrong. i was concerned about that myself but as i am seguing into learning songs via tabs, i've found it hasn't hindered me.

links ?

First attempted song, 1st "run thru", 9% correct, second 34%, 3rd time 39 % [smile][thumbup]

nice!

and i was chuckling about those neon strings recently, thinking peeps will start saying, hey, do i hit the gold string? instead of hey, do i hit the b string?

! lolz

I originally got it "for the kids to learn with" since they like to play the Xbox and want to learn guitar. But after trying it myself, I like it :)

I have noticed, like others have said about the bends needing to be dead on, but I'm not shooting for 100% completion, I'm looking for fun, yet another reason to play my LP 100, and (when using the amp) annoy my neighbors.

On a side note: GameStop has the 2014 with cable on sale for $50 this week.

Archived