Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo tuners for a Firebird

Mr. Natural

I absolutely hate the Steinberger gearless tuners on my Firebird. Are Waverly banjo tuners a feasible replacement? Will they fit without having to mod the guitar headstock? Is any other banjo tuner on the market a better option than the Waverly?

I sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks guys!

Mr. Natural

I'm not sure what it is that you don't like but take a look at the stock tuners as somewhere on there is a screw which you can use to adjust the friction to keep it from slipping out of tune or make it easier to turn.

I can't be more specific as I haven't owned a Firebird in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard from Gibson Customer Service and they think it may be possible to retrofit the older banjo tuners.

I also asked if the fret board was solid rosewood or glued strips and it is solid which is a good thing.

I'm going to get two guitars this year and a Firebird will be one of them. I think tobacco sunburst would be just the thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Natural,

The stock Firebird banjo tuners won't fit the holes drilled for Steinberger Gearless.

You need to enlarge the tuner holes

To replace the banjo tuners with the Steinbergers, I had to make copper 'conversion' tubes to fit the Steinbergers.

Btw, the stock banjo tuners are very heavy, 6 of them are almost 0.5 kilo, not sure you want that weight added to the neck :)

New 2013 Firebird owner here....here's my 2 cents:

I like the Stienberger tuners. The Banjo tuners were good but to me the lower profile and gearless action of the Stienbergers is a big improvement. I'm not having any trouble (as of yet) keeping mine in tune.

I've played a '72 and an '81 Firebird and the banjo tuners seemed to make the the headstock a little bit heavier setting the stage for a neck dive and a possible snap. Also I didn't care for how the upper 2 banjo tuners stuck out of the headstock so far the ones I've seen would touch (albeit gouge) the inner lining of the guitar case....any sudden drop of the case itself could cause damage as well. A luthier friend of mine told me this is how over half of the '64 Firebirds were destroyed.

I put a set on a recent build, and found that the pinch screws have to be tighter that a tick in a hound dog, or they WILL slip.

Once I got past that, they work awesome, I love the accuracy.

and they practically install themselves.

• 6 months later...

Sorry, Gold, I sold them on ebay 6 months ago, besides, I had only 5, one was broken.

Cheers,

Darko

Thanks Darko ... I have a very good friend in Norway. His only downfall is that he's not musical at all BUT he's the greatest guy in the world. May I email you to discuss the Blues scene in Scandanavia?? I've done 40 years here in USA & Canada but before I croak, I'd like to do some bars in Europe for the Harley crowds. My friend and his groups are all HD enthusiasts and burn up them fiords like nuthin' [lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived