Gibson Brands Forums

Super '57 humbucker - your thoughts

CaptainNemo68

Last year I bought the ES-339 Trad Pro which has a Super '57 in the bridge position and I am extremely impressed with the sound of this pickup. The Super '57 apparently has just a touch more output than a '57 Classic, but the difference is noticeable. I believe the new LP Classic for 2014 also has the Super '57 in the bridge position. Does anyone else own a guitar with the Super '57 and if so, what do you think of the pick up?

The 2013 Les Paul Traditionals also have that setup. Overall, I like the sound of mine. The '57 + doesn't seem like it has that much more output than the regular '57's that are in my SG's. There is a notable tone difference but I believe that is due more to the fact that one guitar is a Les Paul and one is an SG.

8645581015_feb0da2f26_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson is saying the Super '57 is a different pickup than the 57+.

But, from what I've read on other forums, the Super '57 is made with cheaper materials.

Basically, a cost cutting measure- as of now- Gibson isn't offering the Super 57 in the aftermarket.

"Super 57 come with Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II. It is less expensive than a normal Gibson Les Paul Traditional. In general, Gibson compromises Standard Traditional model with those cheaper versions. This often confuses people."

• 4 weeks later...

But, from what I've read on other forums, the Super '57 is made with cheaper materials.

Basically, a cost cutting measure- as of now- Gibson isn't offering the Super 57 in the aftermarket.

"Super 57 come with Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II. It is less expensive than a normal Gibson Les Paul Traditional. In general, Gibson compromises Standard Traditional model with those cheaper versions. This often confuses people."its just because guitar center has the money to order so many guitars for less money you dont get all the bells & whisteles when you buy lets say a traditional from guitar center as say you would get if you ordered directly from gibson,,same guitars just the g/c brand is shy a few bells & whistles ,,you get what you pay for

,,,,ive got one of the 2013 trad pro IIgood guitar great feel ,,not what a traditional use to be but its a great guitar none the less

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/25/2013 at 1:56 AM, marvar said:

"Super 57 come with Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II. It is less expensive than a normal Gibson Les Paul Traditional. In general, Gibson compromises Standard Traditional model with those cheaper versions. This often confuses people."

You read it on other forums so it must be true then.  There is no way it is going to made with cheaper materials.  They make their pickups all in the same way with the same materials...in China 🤣

• 1 month later...

I have the Super 57 Classic in my LP Trad in the bridge position. I don't care for it because it is very nasal sounding..I have tried lowering it and adjusting the poles with no change in this. I have a regular 57 classic in a 339 and a 57 classic plus in a SG ,They don't sound like this at all.Is there anything else I can do to get a better tone other than buy another pickup?

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2013 at 9:01 AM, CaptainNemo68 said:

Last year I bought the ES-339 Trad Pro which has a Super '57 in the bridge position and I am extremely impressed with the sound of this pickup. The Super '57 apparently has just a touch more output than a '57 Classic, but the difference is noticeable. I believe the new LP Classic for 2014 also has the Super '57 in the bridge position. Does anyone else own a guitar with the Super '57 and if so, what do you think of the pick up?