Gibson Brands Forums

what would this be worth

manny

I've seen that headstock before. I think this guitar has been listed elsewhere in the past year, and either sold to the current seller who now wants shut, or else relisted by the same. It is quite possible that the logo is suspended in the only surviving bit of the original headstock veneer, rather than stuck onto the stripped wood. But who can say, especially over the web. I think JT viewed this one as quite plausible. Not sure what he considered a sensible price to be, though.

They have certainly waved the Ugly Stick at it!

A face only a mother could love....

BluesKing777.

Ah come on, BK. It's not so different from your recent acquisition. It could be saved by a good plastic surgeon.

Ah come on, BK. It's not so different from your recent acquisition. It could be saved by a good plastic surgeon.

I'm a bit scared to look too close or the thing could be joining BK777's home for unemployed geetars.... I was kinda hoping the relatives would think I was down a bit on the old luck and put up a nice new shiny Martin for Christmas.... or a shiny new Taylor in Koa with abalone everywhere.

BluesKing777.

No frets or TRC, refinished with replaced tuners and bridge (cant really see the pickguard well enough to make a call). Assuming that is it and there are no further repairs required I would think it should run some 70% less than a stock instrument.

Definitely a replacement pickguard. Looks Yamaha to me. Possibly Epiphone, but from one of the cheaper 1970s Japanese ones. It is tempting to say that there is only 70% of the original instrument there, so it'll never make stock instrument price even done up. I'd deduct more to fund the refurbishment. And is that mould in the soundhole? Is that covered by CITES or the Lacey Act? Or the Geneva Convention?

I'm a bit scared to look too close or the thing could be joining BK777's home for unemployed geetars.... I was kinda hoping the relatives would think I was down a bit on the old luck and put up a nice new shiny Martin for Christmas.... or a shiny new Taylor in Koa with abalone everywhere.

BluesKing777.

A shiny new Taylor? In Koa? More like baloney everywhere. In any case, it wouldn't fit in your stocking - even the Baby model. You might fit a Voyage Air in, though - if you use very stretchy nylon tights.

Just got an email back from the seller, I asked him what he thought the value was. Here is his reply.....

"repaired for 4 -5 hundred easily worth 4500 seen one in fair condition for. 8500 these old guitars need fees replaced and stuff ciase there old and have been played"

Just got an email back from the seller, I asked him what he thought the value was. Here is his reply.....

"repaired for 4 -5 hundred easily worth 4500 seen one in fair condition for. 8500 these old guitars need fees replaced and stuff ciase there old and have been played"

Walk away mate, his figures are crazy and not everything old is gold. You can do better, much better, than this for the lowest amount he mentioned. I wouldn't even double-bag this for half what he's talking about.

It might turn out to be a fine player. Nothing is beyond repair - the question is how much will it hit you in the pocket,

The seller is on puppy chow. The price he quoted you for one in good origial condition is what a vintage guitar dealer might charge so basically top dollar. But even if I accepted that price and if I could eyeball the guitar I would offer him say $2400 or so assuming the insides have not been molested and I rest easy that there was not a lot of likelihood of other condition issues. If I could not eyeball it I would offer him less as my Mama did not raise no stupid child and I would be somewhat skeptical of anything the seller said about condition as he apparently is not an expert and I do not know him from Adam.

Best advie I can give is that unless you know your way around old guitars and know what to look for just walk away.

Archived