Gibson Brands Forums

Walnut SG Standard Bass is out now?

Lungimsam

I think Walnut is a great color. But I wouldn't buy one per my SG Bass probs as noted in a bunch of threads I had on here a coupla years ago when I got my cherry one. Could not overcome the SG's stock muddiness of the bass no matter what I had done to it, pup swap with Novak Fatbucker, resistor upgrades, pot upgrades, etc.

Now it just sits, looking absolutely beautiful, sounding great to someone's ears, but sounding way too muddy for my taste. Could never get any presence out of it. Just boom and mud, no clarity.

I can't really sell it either because the neck cavity has been professionally routed a smidge bigger to receive a Novak Fatbucker if desired. The stock pup is back in it now. You can't see it was routed with the cover on. Looks normal.

Its too bad because I love short scale.

Ho Hum.

Here she is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/70237737@N00/sets/72157638534245275/

I think Walnut is a great color. But I wouldn't buy one per my SG Bass probs as noted in a bunch of threads I had on here a coupla years ago when I got my cherry one. Could not overcome the SG's stock muddiness of the bass no matter what I had done to it, pup swap with Novak Fatbucker, resistor upgrades, pot upgrades, etc.

Now it just sits, looking absolutely beautiful, sounding great to someone's ears, but sounding way too muddy for my taste. Could never get any presence out of it. Just boom and mud, no clarity.

I can't really sell it either because the neck cavity has been professionally routed a smidge bigger to receive a Novak Fatbucker if desired. The stock pup is back in it now. You can't see it was routed with the cover on. Looks normal.

Ho Hum.

Here she is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/70237737@N00/sets/72157638534245275/

I love both my SG basses, one with roundwound, the other one with flatwound strings. However, I think it would be an all-purpose weapon with four conductor-wired pickups and parallel coil options. Still wonder why they don't provide that in SG basses. My modded, passive Gibson and Ibanez basses provide tones you would expect from an active bass only.

They eventually make Les Paul guitars with switching options stock after so many years - perhaps there is some hope left...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a walnut as soon as I can. They look super.

I was thinking of adding another (2014 model) SG to my guitar arsenal. But then I got to thinking that my cheap-o Rogue knock-off "Beatle" bass could do with a replacement.

If and when, it will be an SG Special bass in walnut (official finish name for the Special is "chocolate"). [thumbup]

MY idea of the SG Walnut is on the back burner for now. A Fender Am. Std. Fretless Jazz got in the way. The Walnut is still a great looking SG Std. Bass though. Some day. [thumbup]

vKMuJbL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about adding a short scale again. I'm not sure weather I want to do a Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Bass, or a Gibson SG Special Bass.

The answer to the above question is, it's on it's way from Sweetwater Sound. A Walnut SG Std. It was worth selling the Precision for.

MkrlFnE.jpgADiZFQu.jpg

Ho Hum.

Well if you don't have a problem with routing, this may solve your problem: I never cared for the tinny tone of the mini humbucker; I replaced it with a full size TB+ HB . I made the rout larger toward the neck to get it as far away from the bridge as possible. What a difference! The current configuration is with a Dimarzio Model-1, and an Alumitone "Deathbucker". I also added a Hipshot bridge. The bridge pup really growls with round wounds and sounds very good all by itself (round-wounds would help too - IMHO). I wouldn't recommend the Model-1 though - it's definitely much darker than the stock TB+. If you leave the stock neck pup in there and replace the mini with a full size TB+ or Lace Alumitone, you may be very happy with the SG. The best sound I've had with this is with the stock neck pup and the TB+ at the bridge - and I'm going to put those pups back in soon.

TB100_1350.jpg

I just give a bit more priority to the neck pup, the tube tone setting, and gain bumped up on the head. The SVT-410 helps too. At lower volumes even, the TC Electronic RH450 head pounds a good solid clear sound with an SG Std. No mud here. Like the original EB series basses, more power is needed on the amp side of town to match up with the power of Humbuckings. Original EB's, and current SG have a strong, good powered pup. (pups). I don't think every amp compliments Gibson basses, as well as Fenders for example. I ran a Fender Precision through an Ampeg PF-500 head, and it flat out was lousy sounding.

It's looking like a Thursday Jan. 30th delivery day. [thumbup]

UnRxMPp.jpgzT3pO9I.jpg

Estimated delivery for the SG Std. Walnut is now set for Friday the 31st. And I'm not complaining either. The weather between my location in SE Florida, and Sweetwater Sound in Indiana, are pretty rough winter conditions. FedEx Atlanta is closed, so I guess they deadheaded around Atlanta to Miami. Then I guess they'll transfer it to my local Pompano Bch. FedEx for a Friday delivery. [thumbup]

The Electric Lady showed up today, 40 minutes before I had to head out. I did get a chance to open it up, and glance at it for now. Damn Sam, I love having an SG Std. Bass again.

7mjwChp.jpg

I finally restrung Electric Lady with her Nylons. Gibson is using Cleartone Strings from the factory. .45, .65, .85, .105. The only variation in gauge is the .45 G string. The D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound is a .50 G. [thumbup]

Archived