Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone see the Fab Four on PBS a few nights ago!

buliwyf

It was on a few weeks ago I bumped into the Fab Four on PBS and I only caught the last 10 minuites so I looked up the next time it was on and it was only listed on PBS.Gotta say without looking and just hearing it sounded extramly like the Beatles.They did 4 sets the first was the beginning old stuff from their England,Hamburg days.The second was the songs from around 1964 when they first arrived in the USA and again the vocals were spot on and the guitars from those days (lots of Epiphone's)even a left handed bass player as Paul on a Hoffner.The third set was the SGT.Pepper days and the costumes were outrageous like the very colorful uniform and feather hats worn on the album cover and again the songs were amazing and Paul switched to his lefty Hofner.Some Keyboards were played by John and George was playing the Weird painted Strat.Last set started off with John in a white jacket and a black shirt on a white piano doing Imagine (one of my favorite songs)and George played an SG and had on a pair of black and bright red pants youd have to see to believe.Paul also did "Hey Jude" and "Yesterday" although I dont remember what set they were done in.The show was quite impressive and I found it amazing the different generations of of people in the crowd.From the older women probably there when the Beatles got off the plane first time in the USA to 12/13 little girls and most still screaming like the old days.If you get a chance to see it and you dig the Beatles you have got to see it.Since the Beatles can never be seen again I believe this is the closest we can get.

heres a site just check out some of the MEDIA to hear and see them.

http://thefabfour.com/

It was on a few weeks ago I bumped into the Fab Four on PBS and I only caught the last 10 minuites so I looked up the next time it was on and it was only listed on PBS.Gotta say without looking and just hearing it sounded extramly like the Beatles.They did 4 sets the first was the beginning old stuff from their England,Hamburg days.The second was the songs from around 1964 when they first arrived in the USA and again the vocals were spot on and the guitars from those days (lots of Epiphone's)even a left handed bass player as Paul on a Hoffner.The third set was the SGT.Pepper days and the costumes were outrageous like the very colorful uniform and feather hats worn on the album cover and again the songs were amazing and Paul switched to his lefty Hofner.Some Keyboards were played by John and George was playing the Weird painted Strat.Last set started off with John in a white jacket and a black shirt on a white piano doing Imagine (one of my favorite songs)and George played an SG and had on a pair of black and bright red pants youd have to see to believe.Paul also did "Hey Jude" and "Yesterday" although I dont remember what set they were done in.The show was quite impressive and I found it amazing the different generations of of people in the crowd.From the older women probably there when the Beatles got off the plane first time in the USA to 12/13 little girls and most still screaming like the old days.If you get a chance to see it and you dig the Beatles you have got to see it.Since the Beatles can never be seen again I believe this is the closest we can get.

heres a site just check out some of the MEDIA to hear and see them.

http://thefabfour.com/

The Fabfour are the best tribute band around. I have seen them in person the last two years. If you get a chance to see them live they are worth the admission price.

I have "mixed" feelings, about "Tribute" bands, in general, and "Beatle" ones, for sure.

While I do understand the need/desire, of hearing the music "Live," for those that never

got to experience that, even the best of them still pale, in comparison. While the

instrumental portions can be "dead on," the vocals (good as they may be), never quite

do it, for me. The Beatles had such distinctive voices, it's nearly impossible to

capture that, accurately, without sounding "mockish," to me. But, that's Just Me! [unsure]

Having said that, I have experienced several "Tribute" bands, including "The Fab Four,"

"Rain," "1964," the original cast of "Beatlemania," etc. All were quite good! Just

NOT "The Beatles!" [tongue][biggrin] There's always a bit of the "Elvis Impersonator,"

feeling, within it. But, again...that's just Me. [tongue]

CB

Down there at WDW in Epcot at UK we used to enjoy a fish and chips and British Invasion, a really good Beatles band. They are gone now, seems like they just started and it was like 15 years they were there. That's about the only time I've ever enjoyed a tribute band.

rct

I have "mixed" feelings, about "Tribute" bands, in general,

CB

I was the same way. In fact, I had never even seen one until last year when my wife thought I would

enjoy seeing this Pink Floyd tribute band.

She knows I love Floyd and thought I would like this.

I have seen the real Floyd live already so my hopes were not the highest.

But I quietly went and pretended I was grateful at her thoughtful gift.

Turns out I enjoyed it way more than I ever imagined I could.

They were great. You take it for what it is. It's not the real thing but it was enjoyable.

The way I see it is, if you are going to go out an be a tribute band and expect to make a living at it, you better have your chops up and ready to perform.

So for the most part what you are seeing is a pretty good rendition of some really great tunes.

And I saw them in a show lounge so you could sit at a table and have a few wines while watching the show.

The only way it could have been any better is if the real Floyd were up there.

But they weren't. But there was some pretty good musicians playing songs I love in a great venue.

I loved it.

I deleted my initial reply to this, cause I don't like being just a critical arsehole. Instead I'll just say I don't have much experience with tribute bands at all, and I don't particularity like playing covers myself, especially of iconic stuff like early Beatles.

but, hey, If you enjoy it, and they enjoy it, win win right? [rolleyes]

Well, they do help to keep the music "alive," and to younger generations.

I saw one of The Beatles tribute bands (can't remember, now, which one) at

Disneyland, one morning, after I was finishing an all night photo shoot, down there.

They were really good, and the kids LOVED it! Seeing the kid's reaction, made

it worthwhile, for me. [thumbup] Their parents seemed to really enjoy it, as

well. So, you're right, as long as you keep it in context, it can be really fun!

I will say too, however, that it made me miss the REAL "Beatles," all that much more! [crying][biggrin]

CB

I have "mixed" feelings, about "Tribute" bands, in general, and "Beatle" ones, for sure.

While I do understand the need/desire, of hearing the music "Live," for those that never

got to experience that, even the best of them still pale, in comparison. While the

instrumental portions can be "dead on," the vocals (good as they may be), never quite

do it, for me. The Beatles had such distinctive voices, it's nearly impossible to

capture that, accurately, without sounding "mockish," to me. But, that's Just Me! [unsure]

Having said that, I have experienced several "Tribute" bands, including "The Fab Four,"

"Rain," "1964," the original cast of "Beatlemania," etc. All were quite good! Just

NOT "The Beatles!" [tongue][biggrin] There's always a bit of the "Elvis Impersonator,"

feeling, within it. But, again...that's just Me. [tongue]

CB

Let's face it boys. There will never be another Beatles ever again. But if you did not get to see the real deal some of these bands like the Fabfour come close to reproducing their music. So I say go out and have some fun there's no harm in it.

And yet, if they're that good, and clearly some are excellent musicians, WHY not do their

own thing/music, instead of portraying "someone else?" I totally understand "covering" a

favorite artist's song(s), but why the need to try to "be them," in some sense...night after

night? :rolleyes:

CB

Because nobody cares about anyone's original music no matter how good of musicians they are.

It's very hard if not impossible to make money playing originals.

Nobody cares about your songs they never heard before.

The average consumer only cares about what the radio stations or MTV have been blasting at them repeatedly for the past 8 weeks.

People form these tribute bands because there is a market for it. And I imagine it's a bigger market than just being a regular cover band doing weddings and New Years Eve parties.

Because nobody cares about anyone's original music no matter how good of musicians they are.

It's very hard if not impossible to make money playing originals.

Nobody cares about your songs they never heard before.

The average consumer only cares about what the radio stations or MTV have been blasting at them repeatedly for the past 8 weeks.

People form these tribute bands because there is a market for it. And I imagine it's a bigger market than just being a regular cover band doing weddings and New Years Eve parties.

Yeah, and that's a sad testiment, to what's considered "important"/preferable, these days!

"Copies," of some one else, over "original" material, at least that, which can be

just as good, musically. But, I suppose that's another subject, entirely? LOL

CB

I saw a Beatles tribute this summer in Westlake Village, The Stars of Beatlemania. Had to look them up just now as I didn't remember. They weren't that good. Like going to see a movie about world war 2, knowing the history and the whole time going, man that's not correct. Not right.

I also saw a Queen tribute band called Queen nation. They were fabulous and I highly recommend them. The "Freddie" of the band nailed his voice. Nailed it.

Archived