Gibson Brands Forums

T Top gibson pickups

RobSG

Hi first post here, I have a 69 SG Standard that I replace the T top pickups a while ago and was looking at the t top pickups

and wanted to know why some are back to back some are front to front and some are just straight up,

so if anyone knows why they made these different styles or the history behind the T Tops please let me know Thanks Rob

post-61907-031986200 1387214788_thumb.jpg

Thanks I think there is some reason for the placement of the Ts on the pickups, I see all 3 different placements on e-bay for sale,

one of my old pics of the Sg guitar theses came out of show the T tops opposite of each other was the neck rhythm pickup Thanks Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I think there is some reason for the placement of the Ts on the pickups, I see all 3 different placements on e-bay for sale,

one of my old pics of the Sg guitar theses came out of show the T tops opposite of each other was the neck rhythm pickup Thanks Rob

What?

• 3 weeks later...

So talking to others about the T-Top and why the Ts are in different positions, the best answer was because of the way the winding were done , Standard , Hot and Hotter

Standard would be both Ts straight up

Hot would be both Ts back to back

Hotter would be face to face

Another idea was from what year the were made

Any other ideas ?????? Thanks Rob

One site I trust says:

1965-1975 (note overlap with prior bullet point): T-top, "patent no." sticker, no longer has hole in bobbin showing wire, orange wire, short magnet, screws on bottom of base are usually slotted but could be phillips. "L" toolmark can be seen on early T-top pickups.

They began by 1965 according to this guy but had the patent number on a decal. I have a guitar from 1979 that has them in it but the patent number is stamped on the base plate just like more modern-day pick ups. I don't believe you're going to find T tops after the late 70s or very early 80's.

So talking to others about the T-Top and why the Ts are in different positions, the best answer was because of the way the winding were done , Standard , Hot and Hotter

Standard would be both Ts straight up

Hot would be both Ts back to back

Hotter would be face to face

Another idea was from what year the were made

Any other ideas ?????? Thanks Rob

I have never heard about any of that before. Everything I read said something about the T being used is helping in the manufacturing process. What they said was it was to help the employees of Gibson line up the bobbins in the correct orientation. However that story doesn't make much sense considering what you're saying. However, both my pick ups look like one of yours in the picture with the T's facing opposite each other.

8543304527_3e0a090be7_b.jpg

Archived