Gibson Brands Forums

Cool guitar idea

RudyH

I got a newsstand copy of Guitar World magazine and it came with a computer video CD that has features from the magazine. Nicely done, by the way. Anyway, there was a guitar review of an ESP guitar with model PB500 (I think). It has special pickups that work as both single coil and humbucker, and they can be switched on the fly. The demo was very impressive. It is not a very expensive guitar. There are a couple of variations on the model. The interesting one has the special pickups. It does not have a whammy bar. I always thought ESP only made guitars for metal and similar music. This one is quite interesting as a versatile model. It looks good too.

Yeah, ESP definitely has a reputation as being more oriented towards metal players.

You can buy those pickups separately if you have a guitar where you'd like to use them. Somebody on the Les Paul forum bought one or two for his guitar but the last I heard is that he hadn't had a chance to install them yet.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/prails_shpr1/

Yep it's me I bought two of the P-Rails several months ago to put into a studio but then I sold the studio and have been procrastinating so there still sitting on the workbench. I did install them for a few days and really thought they sounded great but never did a permanent install. I recently bought a L6-s that I bought for the pickups (Bill Lawrence) that I want in a lp the L6-s is in really great shape and a sweet guitar so the plan is that it will get the P-Rails then I won't worry about drilling for the switches.

I know I'm really bad about putting stuff like this off but hell with as many guitars as I own there's always something waiting to be set-up or repaired and now I'm behind on several repairs and upgrades for customers so mine really gets shoved back on the bench.

any humbucker pickups can be made into single coils as long as they have 4 lead wires. they dont need to be special p rails or anything. all you need is push pull pots, my guitar has these. with the two volume pots i can coil tap the humbuckers making them single coil, and with the neck tone i can put them in a series (both pickups toogether like one big pickup) and with the bridge tone i can make them go out of phase (just sounds differet). the pickups being out of phase and in a series sounds pretty cool.

Archived