Gibson Brands Forums

"Acoustic Guitar" reviews the IB'64 Texan

dhanners623

Just got my February 2014 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine and it has a nice review of the IB'64 Texan. Teja Gerken gives the review copy high marks. He dings it for a couple of finish/cosmetic issues, but says VERY nice things about the sound, set-up, playability and the Shadow Sonic Nanoflex system.

Haven't checked their website to see if the review is available online.

I know I'm a big fan of my IB'64....

I take it Dhanner`s, that this will be the new Indonesian made IB-64 Texan.

Here is Teja`s video review.

I notice that they have made this version a little closer in appearance to the McCartney 64 version. The bridge is now the correct shape and size, and I believe they have stained the Rosewood black to mimic the "plastic bridge" often found on some 63/64 Texans. The grades of wood used on these newer Texan`s also appears to be of a higher quality. It is also worth bearing in mind that a lot of J-45/50`s as well as Texans had laminated sides back in the 60s.

All in all this new one looks a bargain.

Steve.

It's my belief from a limited examination of the first gen IB Texan's innards that the original IB Texan was basically the same guitar as the Masterbilt AJ-500M, except with the classic Texan appointments, so it was no surprise to me owners loved the sound and it has become well-reviewed. A terrific bargain, for sure!

Red 333

I have been nothing but happy with mine. It has been a great guitar for gigging. I used it on a couple of songs on my new record and both the producer and mastering engineer said they liked its recorded sound better than my two handbuilt D-18 clones, and those guitars are no slouches in the sound department. (I think part of the issue is those two guitars are banjo-killers, so they have a big bottom end that can be hard to deal with when recording.)

I will admit, though, that I've been jonesing this past week for a Recording King RAJ-122, their take on a Roy Smeck. Sound clips I've heard have impressed me....

I think a 12-fret model would be a great compliment to your Texan, David. I have the 12-fret Masterbilt model, the AJ-500RC. It's a joy to play. I would suspect the playability of other 12 fret models would be similar.

If you're looking with some feedback from people with experience with them, I notice that there seems to be quite a number of Recording King players and fans over in the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum.

Red 333

I know plenty of bluegrassers think highly of Recording King guitars. They have a vintage vibe, a quality sound and they are affordable so you don't have to take the pricey guitars to the festival.

I may be jonesing for an RAJ-122, but I don't think one is in my future, Red. In fact, I need to head in the other direction. My wife and I are going abroad so she can teach, perhaps as early as next year, and I'm thinking that taking a bunch of guitars is something I won't be able to do. So I need to thin the herd, as they say, but I haven't figured out what to get rid of yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty decent review I thought. So many guitar mags especially those here in the UK very rarely focus on the £300-£500 sector of the market, and when they do they're usually a bit 'sniffy' about them even a maker like Epiphone with some heritage and tradition.

I am so pleased with mine. Took it to an open mic this Tuesday just gone. Put it through the house PA and the sound from the Shadow Nanoflex was really good. The guitar got a lot of admiring glances and passed through a few friends hands.

It's my belief from a limited examination of the first gen IB Texan's innards that the original IB Texan was basically the same guitar as the Masterbilt AJ-500M, except with the classic Texan appointments, so it was no surprise to me owners loved the sound and it has become well-reviewed. A terrific bargain, for sure!

Red 333

I think this new generation IB-Texan Red, has the old style flat top back braces, just like my 62 Texan had, certainly the first two anyway. It makes me wonder if the top braces are different too?

Steve.

Welcome to the forum Revolver 66, I am glad you are happy with your IB-64 Texan, I have a first generation one from 2009 (MIC), and am sorely tempted to get one of the new ones.

Post some photo`s if you get the chance (Link them through photobucket), I would really like to see the differences compared to my one.

Steve.

Now that it has the tighter waist and overall shape of the original and a Gibson slope (instead of the more generic Pac-rim slope shape of the first gen IB Texans), I suppose they must have redesigned the bracing in some way, too, Steve. It stands to reason that since the new gen is now shaped like a vintage or recent McCartney Texan, it's probably now braced like one, which would explain why is sounds sounds so good.

Red 333

I hadn`t noticed any change in the body outline, and still cannot see any, but I`ll take your word on it Red. I just thought that most of the changes were internal, along with the use of what appears to be higher grades of wood.

If I do manage to snag one soon I`ll do a thorough comparison.

Steve.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered one last night from Sweetwater. I was considering the Cherryburst, but ended up getting the regular top. I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. Looking forward to it. Should come Monday, but since I have to work, I'll prob. pick it up at Fedex Tuesday.

Scootch,

I continue to play my IB64 Texan every single day and it still kills me how dang good it feels and sounds. I sincerely hope the one you receive is a good one. I still have my stock strings and everything on mine, so if you get lucky like I did (with a perfect out of the box setup) then you should be, as they say, a happy camper.

Scootch,

I continue to play my IB64 Texan every single day and it still kills me how dang good it feels and sounds. I sincerely hope the one you receive is a good one. I still have my stock strings and everything on mine, so if you get lucky like I did (with a perfect out of the box setup) then you should be, as they say, a happy camper.

Well, mine arrived. I'm really mixed on it.

Things I don't like:

It's orange. What the heck kind of a color is that?

Pick guard is crooked.

E on pick guard fell off.

Black crap smeared on fret board. (sloppy stain?)

Insides smell like glue.

Tuning machines are pitiful.

Tuning machine knobs look like toys. Simply pitiful.

Horrible strings. Solid strings were corroded and the G broke after a couple mins. Replaced with Adamas 1818E Phosphor Bronze, an old favorite that I've been using for about 20 years. Still sound like crap.

No bass. All mid and treble.

There are a couple blobs of finish on the sound hole.

Sounds like a hundred dollar guitar. I've played Indiana guitars that sound better. Most every guitar I've ever played sounds better.

Costs $399. I could get my dream Cigar Box Banjo for $100 less than that.

Things I do like:

Frets are nicely done.

Inlay is quite nice.

What I am going to do with it:

Change the strings one more time with 80/20s this go around. If no better:

Send it back to SweetWater.

I was planning on doing a mild Relic on it, but if it sounds that darn bad, I'm not going to play it.

Maybe my ears are to used to hearing my D-18V, or my D-35, or my D15m, or my J-45. Or even my Ibanez AC240, which was $100 less than the IB64 Texan and many times better sounding.

I have not plugged it in. I generally do not. So I have no idea of how it sounds thru an amp.

It's a pitiful sounding guitar. And sloppily made.

Pics

texan%20tuner%20knobs.JPG

texan%20logo.JPG

texan%20pickguard.JPG

More at http://freepages.mis...20ib64%20texan/

Mine's nothing like that...nothing. Buying an acoustic without trying it it first is always a crap shoot. Mine's a perfect dream in every way. I'm truly sorry you got a bad one. There are monumentally good ones out there. I know, cuz I've got one...made in Indonesia in February 2014.

Mine's nothing like that...nothing. Buying an acoustic without trying it it first is always a crap shoot. Mine's a perfect dream in every way. I'm truly sorry you got a bad one. There are monumentally good ones out there. I know, cuz I've got one...made in Indonesia in February 2014.

Mine must have been made during new employee training. Honestly, i have never had as bad of a guitar. And I am a habitue' of Music Go Round. I play a lot of cheap guitars, during my strolls thru there.

I've bought and have a couple plywood tops that sound great.

I have already requested an RMA.

FWIW:

Guitar Date Project says:

Your guitar was made in

Indonesia

September 2013

Production Number: 21511

Yeah...that's been sitting around in a Sweetwater warehouse for months. Might have even been returned several times for all you know. See if your local GC has a decent one in stock. The orange color around the inside of the sound hole is an issue on all the newer Texan models. Acoustic Guitar Magazine even references it in their review (but gave the guitar exceedingly high marks anyway). My guitar sounds just like the one in their video review. Wicked loud and clear as a bell. Has a noticeably classic Gibson tone all the way.

Yes, yes...

"The guitar had a touch of the thumpy, dry quality inherent in most slope-shoulder dreadnoughts, but, likely due to the long scale, it had a bit more zing and sustain than a typical J-45.

Overall, the guitar had more of a Martin sound, with great clarity and projection. When I played “Yesterday,” the Texan had a lush, but strong, voice with a gentleness well suited to supporting the vocal melody."

I own a late 40's J-50...sure my J-50 needs a rebuild, but still...the tones are in the same ballpark. Additionally, when I was trying out my Texan in the store, I compared it against an actual 1964 J-50 they had for sale ($3300) and the tones were nearly identical, with the difference being the Texan had a bit more volume (probably because of the J-50's adjustable bridge).

Scootch - stick with it man. It's a cheap guitar compared to the others you describe. The E symbol on mine was garbage as well. I filled in the warranty online, reported it to Epi and they sent me a replacement.

Mine is October 2013. I staightened the neck, swapped out the plastic (apart from the nut) and put bone in. Elixir 12's phoph stings brought out the brightness and it was obvious the bone made for far imroved sustain and quality of sound.

It's not in the same league as my Gibson Martins etc for obvious reasons but is great as a shredder guitar and, plugged in, sounds great.

Archived