Gibson Brands Forums

Good Blues Trios?

69Nova

I'm usually a hardcore old-school blues guy. I almost hate to say this 'cause some of my pals think I'm nuts, but the John Mayer trio has some pretty sweet blues out right now.

Say what you will about Mayer's pop songs, but the guy can play the blues when he's in the mood. Check him out on youtube. You'll also find him playing with BB King, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Etc. If these guys think he's got the chops, then that's good enough for me.

I'm really hot on Back Door Slam. Straight out of Ireland, they've done some amazing work. Also see The Black Keys. They're a blues duo, and they can really, and I mean REALLY, jam. One of my friends has taken to calling them the "best band of our day." Maybe an exaggeration, but they certainly are a thousand times better than most contemporary bands.

I'm trying to shy away from recommending the old stand-bys (BB, Albert, SRV, blah blah blah) because, yeah, they're great, but we've all heard them all before.

Also, +1 on recommending John Mayer's blues. He's a massively underrated musician because he first entered the scene as a pop rocker. His blues work is definitely worth listening to.

The White Stripes (duo)

Can't believe I forgot them. Anything with Jack White is golden. Check out The Raconteurs. It's not so much blues as it is just pure rock, but it's good stuff.

But yeah, The White Stripes are one of my favorite contemporary blues acts, despite Meg being, ahem, less than an amazing drummer? Yeah, we'll leave it at that.

+1 on mentioning Mayer his good work gets lost in some of the mainstream bullcrap and def. good on ya for bringing up Johnny Winter and as big of a SRV fan I am Johnny was the original Texas electric blues guitarslinger....come to think of it T-Bone Walker came before him was he a trio?

Thanks for the help guys.

The John Mayer Trio is what kinda introduced me to Trios. I'm a pretty big JM fan anyway so I have been playing the crap of the Trio CD for some time now. I didn't mention cause people usually flamed me for being a fan of his.

Might bright idea(besides getting pointed in the direction of good music) was that I'm gonna download some stuff to put on my new toy. I purchased a Tascam MP- GT1 today and it has the guitar cancel feature. So when playing a Trio and canceling the guitar out then I'm left with just a bass and drums. Which should hopefully make a nice backing track to play over.

I'm really hot on Back Door Slam. Straight out of Ireland' date=' they've done some amazing work. Also see The Black Keys. They're a blues duo, and they can really, and I mean REALLY, jam. [/quote']

+2 on those two recommendations.

You might also try some North Mississippi Allstars. (Not doing much these days since Luther join the Black Crowes, but their back catalog is pretty smokin. And you cannot go wrong with Gov't Mule.

Archived