Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio

nitro

I think you'll need to specify which year you're talking about.

Mine is an older one (2003) which weighs about as much as a Harley Sportster motor and has a neck like a baseball bat.

From that description it sounds pretty horrible but it's really a great guitar with unusually low, thin frets, the neck never goes out of adjustment and it sound really, really good.

If you're asking about a new one, someone else will have to chime in as I'm sure they've changed just about everything aside from the overall shape.

Need some opinions on the Gibson Les Paul studio,sound,quality, over all.Compared to the les paul standard or traditional.Some are saying that its just the binding would be the only difference. Thanks...........

No difference in sound as a general rule. Some Studios will sound better than some Std/Trads. Studios only lack the aesthetics, nothing more. You may also have heard that all Gibsons sound different, from guitar to guitar....I believe this to be true also.

Some Les Paul's look great with a stripped down style. The Natural premium plus from a couple years ago is a killer looking Les Paul.

The Mahogany studio faded is a killer sounding LP. I like mahogany top LPs. I like unbound necks and properly dressed fret ends.

Same old story in finding whats right for you.

Need some opinions on the Gibson Les Paul studio,sound,quality, over all.Compared to the les paul standard or traditional.Some are saying that its just the binding would be the only difference. Thanks...........

I have a '91 studio. Was pretty beat up when I bought it, but now, after some loving care, it's got that vintage, players look. I've played many Standards and my Studio sounds as good or better. Sustains forever, with a thick rich tone, and the action is the best of all of my 32 (?) guitars.

The faded/worn series has a slightly different finish on them from the other studio's and a lot of the worn/faded series have a mahognay cap instead of a maple cap (but not all some have a maple cap)

reset of the studios are pretty similar to their standard brother's sans the binding.

the maple cap can vary in thickness as well (it's thickest depth is just at the bridge pickup, thinest is at the edge)

go to the store and try all different guitars (it takes me 6 months typically of walking into a store before "one" jumps out at me), try many.

Around october of 2006. Mine was made in November of '06 and its chambered. Have you tried out a chambered versus non-chambered LP or are you assuming that you don't want one because you've read message board trolls saying that it is 'bad'. I hope you try it out because for me the chambered one sounded and played the best.

The question that was asked to me by Deeman was did I ever play a chambered les paul.

The Chambered to me are brighter. But I also don't care for Alnico V thus BB-Pros. Early to mid 2000 with a 50 neck and 490/498. Pretty much a work horse.

Any thoughts on the 2010-2013 Les Paul studio's

To be honest with you! Every guitar has it's own sound and feel. Don't know to much about the 2010-2013 models! I just picked me up a used 2008 Cherry satin finish Les Paul studio last night & love it! It's lighter then my LP Deluxe. And sounds amazing! No Nitro finish, but that's fine with me. I have a nitro finish LP already. And this one I couldn't pass it up! Got it for a great deal! I was lucky it was still there.

Any well named players using the les paul studio?

Not many. I can't remember at least. But that has nothing to do with the guitar's qualities.

"Studio" - as it's name suggests meant to be a recording workhorse. A Les Paul Standard guitar, with all it's decorative article removed, that do not contribute to the overall tone of the instrument. They are not needed in a studio - none of the fans see those guitars. And, - of course - thus, they are cheaper. The application of the binding is labour-consuming process.

On the other hand, the performing musician needs a decorative instrument. Also, the endorsing brand wants it's atrists to appear with their best-looking products. A Standard, or a Custom fits for this purpose.

Those are the differences between a Studio and a Standard. Not considering the slight spec differences between them, that come and go year-after-year: that is it.

Ceterum censeo: try those chambered ones too. [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

A little graft goes a long way. Next stop, a quick fact finding junket to the Marshall factory in Jolly Olde, ha, ha.

Curiosity got the better of me so I weighed my 05 Studio and it came in at about 10 pounds, 10 ounces. Wouldn't you know it, the Les Paul that felt the best to me is also the one that's going to make me look like Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein.

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio in a gloss wine red,just a beautiful guitar plays fantastic.I had a chance to also play some of the custom shop les paul's like the 58 and 59.I kept going back to the studio that I purchased because it just played great and had a great sound.I also tried a les paul custom and the studio still had a great feel and sound,go figure.

Archived