Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors choice #9 "Believer Burst"

Rabs

So the elusive number 9 materialises.. And at only $13500, bargin!! NOT!! :---)

As with all of them, it sure is puurrrdy though ;) (the logic and bank balance say no.. GAS in me says HELL YES)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-9-1959-Les-Paul-Believer-Burst.aspx

•Genuine Mahogany back with unique figured Maple top

•Rosewood fingerboard with nitrocellulose trapezoid inlays

•Pair of custom-wound Custom Bucker pickups in the neck and bridge positions

•Nickel plated ABR-1 bridge with lightweight aluminum stop bar tailpiece

•Kluson™ Deluxe Nickel Reissue Green Key tuners with 12:1 tuning ratio

Splassxasxasxx2_zps2c5bd0b7.jpg

That may as well be a picture of a Ferrari or a Lamborgini up there.

See? I can't even afford to spell Lamborgini let alone care about looking at a 13k guitar.

A 13k guitar is a lottery item for me..

no way,, no how, never nada zip zoink nope not gonna happen in a million years.

So I don't even bother looking and have zero interest in it.

I have more GAS for a new SG Standard than I ever will for that.

I wonder if there's some kind of psychology going on where they make these guitars that make us ordinary guys jealous but at the same time it makes us want to buy the regular guitars, like Standards and Studios.

Like maybe they can make the rich guys feel special and make the ordinary guys jealous in a productive kind of way. All at the same time. I don't know. :unsure:

I don't get it. What makes this guitar so "special". I'm sure most of us already have a "Paul" or two or three...How different can this be in tone, playability, volume? Would I like one?? Sure, but not at that price. I'll stick with the 3 "Pauls " I already have. All together they don't add up to 13k.

I wonder if there's some kind of psychology going on where they make these guitars that make us ordinary guys jealous but at the same time it makes us want to buy the regular guitars, like Standards and Studios.

I'd say that's probably accurate... makes their normally expensive offerings seem like a deal. If I show this one to my wife maybe she will not be upset when I buy a regular old historic! [-o<

That's crazy money for an new Electric Guitar, it makes me wonder who the buyers are, cause lets face it, you wouldn't dare gig it would you? None of the rich people that I know (and I know a few "titled types") play Guitar, and wouldn't ever consider doing so. Are those Guitars just fodder for collectors hoping to see some financial gain?

Ian.

Like maybe they can make the rich guys feel special and make the ordinary guys jealous in a productive kind of way. All at the same time. I don't know. :unsure:

I think you might be on the mark there ...

That's crazy money for an new Electric Guitar, it makes me wonder who the buyers are, cause lets face it, you wouldn't dare gig it would you?

Ian.

No you would never take that to a gig. Some drunk spills a beer on that and you'll have to beat his entire family and kick the dog too. [biggrin]

I bought my Les Paul Supreme for 2K (used) and it's got every bit as much flame as this one does front and back - the only difference is mine doesn't have the "custom wound" pickups but I don't think that's worth the difference in price points here. I'm grateful there are people who can afford these ridiculously priced beasts because money makes commerce fly but for the bulk of the population this kind of offering is just out of reach and serves no purpose. The bulk of this fare ends up in glass cases hanging on a wall and what a waste of craftsmanship that is. :o

These "Collector's Choice" series are such a crock of ****. The guitars they're based on are nice-looking investments, nothing more. The ritzy-titzy assholes that own these things don't play them. They're probably dogs anyway.

Okay, rants over. Goodnight everybody!

These "Collector's Choice" series are such a crock of ****. They're probably dogs anyway.

Have you ever tried any?

I've (only) played four examples from the series and - the 'aged' rear of the neck of the 'Koss' apart - they were all, without exception, fantastic guitars. Really Fantastic.

P.

In my humble opinion the aging is the very crime done to these guitars. If Pippy says they are fantastic, I think this is true. How can honest artisans do this to a fine musical instrument? [crying]

I don't reckon they have the player in mind when offering these intentionally damaged remakes. It is waste of labour and material for collectors, a shame and a pity to a guitarist's soul. [sad]

I think I know where this idiotic "aged", "relic-ed", call it what you will thing came from.

Over on the Fender site there is an article about Keith Richards asking them to make a duplicate of a 1952 model (or something like that) and when it was done he told them "bash it up a bit and I'll take it" and the manufacturers took the idea and ran with it. Ca-Ching!

You see the same thing with motorcycle leathers. Go into a Harley dealership and they have tons of "aged" new leathers on the rack so that the weekend warrior types can live out their Walter Mittyesque fantasies. Nebbish accountant during the week, Sonny Barger during the weekend once the honey-do list is done.

It's the same thing with these guitars although you're supposed to live out your Rock and Roll Guitar God fantasies by schlepping around a guitar that's been toured around the world ten times and has been responsible for countless groupie infested debauches due to your magnificent playing and your overpowering animal magnetism.

Just don't tell anybody that you really just paid $13,500 for it a few weeks ago and you still have the receipt in your wallet.

If my guitars look aged is because I'm clumsy and accidentally bashed one into something like an idiot.

Moderator:

If this post is too offensive please remove it.

Archived