Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200CE High action

Edb

I have a gorgeous EJ200CE that I bought last year.

The actio was to high for my taste and as it was a new instrument I decided to get the local shop to set it up for me.

However the only change I could detect on picking the guitar up from the shop was changing a set of perfectly good strings.

So I sucked it up and carried on strumming, putting the rattles down to bad technique.

A few months down the line I took it to another shop ,only to be told it was fine, I must admit the guy in the shop made it sould like a million quid, but then I'd expect a guitar shop owner to be quite good at playing.

Anyway I dug around and came across the frets.com site and did some reading and this is where I need some help.

I measured the amount of drop on my neck as per http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

and to cut a long story short my straight edge lands well below my bridge. I'd like to compare my findings with another ej200ce so, long story short could someone carry out the same test on their ej200ce please ?

I cant see any reason a new instrument would need a neck reset to be honest but I'd like to rule it out before lowering the bridge.

I measured mine as per the article and it comes out bang on the nail.

The straight edge lands right at the top of the bridge and bottom E is exactly 0.5" from the top of the guitar.

I measured mine as per the article and it comes out bang on the nail.

The straight edge lands right at the top of the bridge and bottom E is exactly 0.5" from the top of the guitar.

Thanks Wiggy, wonder if mine is going to be a problem further down the line.

My straight edge lands about half a cm below the top of the bridge.

I also have a small vertical crease on the fingerboard binding in line with the join where the neck meets the body.

I'd have it checked out as it sounds as though either the neck joint has slipped (possibly during manufacture) or it has had a new neck fitted and someone has not done it correctly.

I'd have it checked out as it sounds as though either the neck joint has slipped (possibly during manufacture) or it has had a new neck fitted and someone has not done it correctly.

I have contacted the shop where I bought it last January, seems like a good place to start.

I also have a small vertical crease on the fingerboard binding in line with the join where the neck meets the body.

I've seen this before with solid tops. Where do you store the guitar? I'm not 100% sure but it could be that the guitar is suffering from drying out. All solid tops suffer drying out if the humidity is wrong and this causes the guitar to go out of shape.

Its stored on a stand in my studio, which is at the top of my house.

I dont think its drying out as my house in in the north of england,however I take your point.

How should I check the humidity level

Edited to add.....relative humidity for my area on average is as below

Relative humidity: 89.5%

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

My epi arrived at the place I bought it, in bits. It seems the carrier is non too carefull, even when a box is covered in "FRAGILE!!" tape.

I've now had it replaced and I'm happy to say its a 100% improvement, no neck issues and minimum setup required out of the box.

Did notice it had a compensated bridge though, whereas the previous one had a straight bridge.

Quick update.

My epi arrived at the place I bought it, in bits. It seems the carrier is non too carefull, even when a box is covered in "FRAGILE!!" tape.

I've now had it replaced and I'm happy to say its a 100% improvement, no neck issues and minimum setup required out of the box.

Did notice it had a compensated bridge though, whereas the previous one had a straight bridge.

Great result!

Now time to play the nuts off it msp_thumbup.gif

• 1 month later...

I bought the EJ 200 ARTIEST a couple years ago & thought the action was a little high also plus after a while the high F note was fretting out, took it to a local guitar tec. had the bridge sanded down a bit & adjusted the neck, it's an awesome sounding guitar & can only wonder how this guitar's sound would compare to the Gibson J 200

• 1 month later...

GarysCam313_zps66dd075c.jpg

GarysCam310_zpsa4cfd1af.jpg

this is the JLD Bridge Dr.

it installs w/basic hand-tools and made my unplayable EJ200 play like butter w/an action that rivals my American Deluxe Strat.

$23 for the version requiring drilling a hole in the bridge, $50 for the version using special bridge-pins(included)

I bought the EJ 200 ARTIEST a couple years ago & thought the action was a little high also plus after a while the high F note was fretting out, took it to a local guitar tec. had the bridge sanded down a bit & adjusted the neck, it's an awesome sounding guitar & can only wonder how this guitar's sound would compare to the Gibson J 200

check this out

Archived