Gibson Brands Forums

Neck profiles

jwid52

I have a Gibson SG Std. and would like to know if the neck profile (50's) of the LP Traditional/Traditional Plus is the same as my SG? (I'm buying either a Traditional Plus or a Classic and before I buoy I want as much infor as possible).

Next, I know the LP Classic has the 60's slim-tapered neck only and I would like to know how slim is slim? I have read reviews that praise the 60's profile. Is there any website I can go to that shows the difference graphically? I have nothing to compare the two profiles (50's and 60's) to other than my SG, a American Strat and a Telecaster. I know it's a hands-on type of thing but I live over 250 miles from a Gibson dealer and don't have access to them to compare. I know....move closer!

i think the sg's would have the 60's neck profile because they were made from 1961 and on. the ones ive played had thin necks and even the reissues have thin necks. so if your looking for something more similar to the sg i would say a 60's neck would do it. but i always try a guitar to see what it feels like . i like the fatter 50's necks on a les paul myself but thats just me . strats and teles have a completely different feel and could not compare the 2 to a les paul or sg for that matter

I have both an LP and a 335 with the 60's neck, and I also have several American Strats & Strat Plus from the late 80's..

The 60's necks are just a little thicker than the Strat necks... but still much thinner than the 50's necks..

Hope this helps a little... but you really should try before you buy if you are "sensitive" to neck profiles...

Happy New Year!

Archived