Gibson Brands Forums

Neck styles and widths

onewilyfool

I have a question for you.....My guitars have necks or 1 7/8", 1 13/16", 1 3/4, , 1 23/32, 1 11/16, the last one being electric. Some are round back, "V" necks, slim....It takes me a little while to get accostomed to a guitar when I change between them, but not long. The electric guitar takes a little getting used to. What is your experience. Do you get put off by the neck changes? Would like to hear your experience.

my most recent purchase was my roy smeck. it has a 2" nut. all my others have 1.75. it took some getting used to as my hand would ache for awhile after extended periods of play. but since it's my newest (and best sounding) it has been my go-to guitar for the couple of months i've owned it. feels quite natural now and i find it takes a little while for me to adjust to the smaller necks on the others now. i will say the wider neck requires a little more pressure an concentration when it comes to barre chords but my hands are big enough to adjust. it does let me know when i'm being sloppy. i used to think i wouldn't care for a wider neck. i was wrong. the string separation is great for finger style and i really enjoy that.

Guest NattyBumppo
What is your experience. Do you get put off by the neck changes? Would like to hear your experience.

Count me in for a RESOUNDING YES! Precisely why I sold my AJ and will keep the HB-A. The Humminbird Artist has a very similar neck to my other two acoustics (which I guess I won't mention since they are non-Gibson). Slim is in for me! In fact, my acoustic necks feel very much like the neck on my '77 LP Custom which makes for nice consistency across the board for me.

Another well known USA based guitar maker has the same neck on all of their 6-string acoustics (at least to my knowledge). Lucky for me the neck profile is very much to my liking so I know that at the very least I'll not have an issue with any of their 6-string models where the neck is concerned. I guess the problem with that scenario is that you could potentially eliminate a lot of people from considering your guitars if they don't like that particular neck. Guess there's no pleasing everyone on something like that. Everyone's hands and playing posture vary.

Oh Yeah.

I've pretty much sworn off smallish neck profiles. Of course, my last guitar purchase was a '47 LG2 with a smaller neck profile-- but it's such a great guitar (sound/intonation/action) that I couldn't resist. I had intended to buy an LG2 banner, with a nice, fat neck- but the '47 was such a better sounding guitar.

So, here I've got another one on my hands that I don't 'reach for' because of the neck.

Yes- necks matter!

Archived