Gibson Brands Forums

New formula 3 D'Addario guitar strings

crust

what guitar to use them on ?

Has anyone ever used "Vine" or "Instagram" ? if so, care to comment on how to use ? Got to do a demo now....what guitar, what backing track to record over ......hmmm ?

1pic_zps19a64b0c.jpg

2pic_zps3dd2f57b.jpg

Picture9_zps145e0854.jpg

Can't really say. These are high carbon and the "drawing process" has been "re-imagined" and the "tin coating" (tin ? hmmm or titanium nitride...the blurb with the packaging says tin.) It also says they are "30% stronger". I wonder how they can make the alloy stronger, without making the strings brittle, I wonder if the annealing process has been altered too (says nothing about that). See the photo of the packaging in the other thread on the other "electric guitar" Epiphone forum, explains a bit more, I put up a couple pics of the packaging. I will install tomorrow (New Years eve is not good for me to set up a guitar with new strings..lol) and play until they break, or my old finger joints get too tired and see how they sound and hold up. I need to do a demo in order to possibly get more "stuff". This should be good lol...what guitar to set up and use though ? [unsure][confused]

Also, I don't know if these are "multi purpose" strings. Some strings (like flat, half flat and "ribbon wound"), seem to be geared towards jazz style, not metal, shred or blues. I'm not sure what genre of guitar style these might be "geared" for.

You will have to let us know what you think of those there strings Crust.

I would put them on the guitar I feel most comfortable playing. I don't think it matters which guitar you choose or what style you play.

Perhaps play as many styles as you can. Put 'em through a workout.

Now that I think about it, perhaps using the tremolo might be a good way to test how well they stay in tune; after all, that's one of the claims they are making with these new strings.

Whatever you decide, be sure to let us know what you think of them. [thumbup]

Also, I don't know if these are "multi purpose" strings. Some strings (like flat, half flat and "ribbon wound"), seem to be geared towards jazz style, not metal, shred or blues. I'm not sure what genre of guitar style these might be "geared" for.

Gotcha. Pretty cool to be picked as a Beta Tester. Let us know what you think.

Due to my experiences as an alpha tester for guitar strings in the early 1980s, I think it is best to check out new strings on guitars with advanced tonal versatility. For me it also were switching options then. Today these were magnetic/piezo hybrids for me, and in particular I would choose vibrato and hardtail guitars as well.

I think the very points are playability, feel, tonal purity, featured sound spectrum, tuning stability, volume and volume balance, corrosion and the resulting life expectancy.

By the way, I am very pleased with the strings they designed in the early 1980s and still play the related brand using three gauges. Strange how I came to that - I didn't like their gold-plated strings played by Frank Zappa and Earl Slick these times, and up to now by Brian May. So I tried to persuade them making chrome or stainless steel strings, too. I wasn't the only one, and there were some artists much more popular than my band these years.

cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust!

nice work amigo.

think of vine as a video version of twitter. it limits your vid to 6 seconds, it's all through your mobile device, just go to the app store for your device and dl the app

instagram is ~ the same but via facebook, and it allows for 15 second videos. you can get the app the same way as vine.

in the comment field of your video upload, simply add the hashtag required for d'addario and it will be associated with them.

have luck!

I got these strings by applying for them (I had to enter serial numbers from a couple packs of strings to register at their web site). Thank you for the explanation of "Vine" and "Instagram" . Always learning something new. 6 and 15 seconds... I think may be able to do that...lol.

cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust!

nice work amigo.

think of vine as a video version of twitter. it limits your vid to 6 seconds, it's all through your mobile device, just go to the app store for your device and dl the app

instagram is ~ the same but via facebook, and it allows for 15 second videos. you can get the app the same way as vine.

in the comment field of your video upload, simply add the hashtag required for d'addario and it will be associated with them.

have luck!

I got these strings by applying for them (I had to enter serial numbers from a couple packs of strings to register at their web site). Thank you for the explanation of "Vine" and "Instagram" . Always learning something new. 6 and 15 seconds... I think may be able to do that...lol.

[scared] Didn't know that, too. This is shocking. Seems they don't want to get any detailed ratings. Perhaps it's best to create a sophisticated 15 seconds video with the ultimate information density capable for the human viewer and listener. I would be glad if you linked it here - I am damn curious... :rolleyes:

It appears that I need an Iphone to register an Instagram and Vine account. Google app installed but Google asks for a name, password, but there is no option to register (except from an Iphone account ??). Maybe I am incorrect. This is all new to me lol. [confused][biggrin]

It appears that I need an Iphone to register an Instagram and Vine account. Google app installed but Google asks for a name, password, but there is no option to register (except from an Iphone account ??). Maybe I am incorrect. This is all new to me lol. [confused][biggrin]

no need for an iphone, make sure you dl'ed the vine app from vine labs, at the bottom should be 2 buttons, one for signing up via a twitter account, the other via your email that is synched to your google store email. instagram should give you the same 2 options, except the one is via your facebook account login info.

no need for an iphone, make sure you dl'ed the vine app from vine labs, at the bottom should be 2 buttons, one for signing up via a twitter account, the other via your email that is synched to your google store email. instagram should give you the same 2 options, except the one is via your facebook account login info.

Man, I guess there's a lot to learn for me, too. I still use a simple cell phone with hard buttons, but it seems I also will have to leave for the touch-screen petting zoo in the near future. [rolleyes]

I have not been able to register either Vine or Instagram from my Windows 7 laptop. Both apps require a registration from an Iphone or a Windows phone.

I got this message with Vine

"No registered device. You need a Windows phone with a linked Microsoft account before you can get apps from the store"...bummer

again, I have been unable to register for Instagram from Chrome browser on my Windows 7 laptop. The login app installed, but need an Iphone to make the initial user name and password. If you have any further suggestions (besides get an Iphone and Windows phone) I'd appreciate any input

way to go Crust !!

i've forgotten whether your LP is an Ultra or a Pro.....if it's an Ultra, definitely try them on it 1st.

if it's a Pro, i'd put them on the Rivvie 1st.

let us know how it goes & if these are any more/less "finger prickin' good" than regular strings. (I don't feel a string-change went right unless at least 2 fingers are bleeding when i'm done [laugh])

As popular as D'Adarrio strings are, I think that they are very underrated as well. I think that for most people, they are the string you buy when you are in a pinch, on a budget or just learning guitar. However, I like them better than any other string I've used for electric guitar. All of the things mentioned about this new line of strings from D'Adarrio is true about their normal strings as well. They are strong, they settle quickly and they last last last for a long time. I've never broken a D'Adarrio string...ever. I bend the hell out of them, wear them out, let them get rusty on my guitars and then bend the hell out of them some more. They are amazing strings. They are the only string I will pay retail price for. Any other strings I buy that arent D'Adarrio were on sale for stupid cheap. I think that the quality of this brand gets overlooked because they are the least expensive strings you can buy for electric guitar. Just my $.02

(I don't feel a string-change went right unless at least 2 fingers are bleeding when i'm done [laugh])

hah, i thought it was just me/rookie. i usually make sure i have a tissue close by when changing strings to wipe off the blood!

i like the d'addario's a lot too, i buy the nickel wound xl in the 10 pack

Archived