Gibson Brands Forums

poor paint job again

Eades

Sent another firebird back,that's 4 now in total due to poor paint jobs, its usually the same place where the body meets the wings the paint had bubbled about 6 inch's long on the join, just poorly done it was on the front and its a white guitar so stands out a mile, just bad q.c checking yet again with no pride in there workmanship

To my experience, this issue can be caused by remains of glue. I had this trouble with an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess where sharp edges appeared on the back. After having it polished at the dealer's workshop, it is absolutely smooth. There is a white trace left which would be annoying on the top but doesn't worry me on the back.

All of my Gibson guitars have obvious ripples and bubbles around the joints, but except for the Alex Lifeson LP no alteration in colour. Since I found this on hundreds of Gibsons and it is not so obtrusive, I put up with it. On the other hand, none of my guitars is white, and I don't think I would put up with an obvious finish problem on the top.

A pal of mine owns a Gibson Les Paul with the light shining through a gap at the back end of the neck joint. There are no tonal or stability problems, but I prefer too much glue over too little, and ripples in the finish over a visible gap.

It's them damn long glue joints. My two white SGs and Flying V have no hint of any bubbles or ripples at the joint.

I think they just did a better job on yours. Perhaps they should pay more attention which guitars they paint white in the end. I guess there might be trouble to even see a thin coat of dried glue. I know by experience that this can be very tough, and I sometimes I didn't notice it before finishing parts of self-made furniture. [glare]

Your right to send it back..altho it wont affect tone, for the price the craftsmanship should be better...I mean if we paid 600 or more for a dresser that was new wouldn't we reject it if it had damage or poor craftsmanship?..so why should an expensive guitar have the same consideration...just sayin.

I think they just did a better job on yours. Perhaps they should pay more attention which guitars they paint white in the end. I guess there might be trouble to even see a thin coat of dried glue. I know by experience that this can be very tough, and I sometimes I didn't notice it before finishing parts of self-made furniture. [glare]

Right. You use a damp rag to get what's oozing out but sometimes you miss some. Also, the way the Firebird is constructed, you can't sand in the area where the wings are joined to the neck. That glue joint has to be immaculate.

For the money spent... The Guitars should be clean.. I would Not touch a new gibson electric ,, from the wet wood to the poor finishes.. .. Ive owned many in the past.. alot of new ones from the standards to the 59 reissues. Customs, Vs, (1 of each of the centennials) ... those werent that bad.. but for 5000.00 up per guitar.. they were not that good either..

Question here...

why would you except a blemished guitar at a full pop price? Luthiers are Not refinishers.. there like doctors.. only mending issues.. there cleaning up some elses mess..

For the money spent... The Guitars should be clean.. I would Not touch a new gibson electric ,, from the wet wood to the poor finishes.. .. Ive owned many in the past.. alot of new ones from the standards to the 59 reissues. Customs, Vs, (1 of each of the centennials) ... those werent that bad.. but for 5000.00 up per guitar.. they were not that good either..

Question here...

why would you except a blemished guitar at a full pop price? Luthiers are Not refinishers.. there like doctors.. only mending issues.. there cleaning up some elses mess..

I wait for the blemished returns and buy them for usually around 50% off list.

I wait for the blemished returns and buy them for usually around 50% off list.

Then you get what you buy.. Thats Good...

U.S list is our sales prices up here.. pending where the dollar is at.. For the most part.. Gibson guitars up here dead or alive are the same price all year long.. condition doesnt effect the value..

Thats why I stopped buying new ones..

Then you get what you buy.. Thats Good...

U.S list is our sales prices up here.. pending where the dollar is at.. For the most part.. Gibson guitars up here dead or alive are the same price all year long.. condition doesnt effect the value..

Thats why I stopped buying new ones..

Oh, you're in Canada? I forget that forum members live all over the world. Not everybody has the same circumstances and expectations wherever they live. I assumed that everybody has the same sale opportunities that I have here in the USA.

• 2 months later...

I bought a brand new used 2005 Firebird VII FEB 2014, in all that time before my purchase (9 yr.) this bird was taken out of it's cage & played only twice & never left the house, as I could not believe my luck upon hearing the birds past owners history (after the purchase) I eyeballed my bird intently & could not find a single mark, scratch, ding or finish blemish on the sunburst beautiful finish.

I bought a brand new used 2005 Firebird VII FEB 2014, in all that time before my purchase (9 yr.) this bird was taken out of it's cage & played only twice & never left the house, as I could not believe my luck upon hearing the birds past owners history (after the purchase) I eyeballed my bird intently & could not find a single mark, scratch, ding or finish blemish on the sunburst beautiful finish.

You may believe your luck, Sparky. There are indeed real Gibson textbook beauties, and your Firebird is one of them. [thumbup]

A burst hides more faults than a solid colour thats why Gibson don't do many solid colours

In my opinion this might also have to do with resin left in the graining. As for burst finishes, leaving it there might even enhance looks. When viewing transparent finished Fenders with alder bodies, the reddish-brown traces of resin bled over to the top and then oxidized gives them more of a depth than the wood as is would.

An opaque stain would discolour in case of resin coming through with time, and even a thick solid-coloured coat might not be able to withstand for a long period. On the other hand, old guitars in general are infamous for changes in colours, and so it might be something we will have to live with to a certain degree.

Gibson, especially, seems to go through periods, where their paint jobs are lackluster,

then other times, they're perfect! Not sure if it's that someone's asleep in "final

inspection," or they're playing "catch up" on back orders, so getting those filled,

"on the books," at the expense of QC, seems more important??? My dealer, who is quite

particular, about such things, recently got in 2 all gold Firebirds. Both had paint

problems (bubbles, and sanding marks) in vary obvious places, "Wings" area, and at the

neck joints, as well. They wax pencil circled the areas of concern, and returned both

to Gibson. I haven't been in there, recently, to see if they got replacements, or not.

There was a period, several years ago, where every Gibson I saw, had "orange peel" in

places that should have been easy to polish out, but just wasn't. And, these were SG

Customs, Les Paul Customs, etc., not low end "faded" models, at all. So...??? :rolleyes:

CB

In all fairness to Gibson, my last 4 purchases, were all "flawless" in finish, and

only one had any "issue" at all (a bad Maestro unit), and they replaced that, promptly.

Unlike some here, I've had nothing but good experiences, with Gibson's CS, when I needed

them. Which, admittedly, hasn't been that often.

And, I've often wondered, if the Big Box stores, even look at the merch, their shipping?

Sweetwater, obviously does, as they post photos of the exact guitar you're getting. But,

how many other's, do that? All, or just a few? [unsure]

CB

• 3 weeks later...

To my experience, this issue can be caused by remains of glue. I had this trouble with an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess where sharp edges appeared on the back. After having it polished at the dealer's workshop, it is absolutely smooth. There is a white trace left which would be annoying on the top but doesn't worry me on the back.

All of my Gibson guitars have obvious ripples and bubbles around the joints, but except for the Alex Lifeson LP no alteration in colour. Since I found this on hundreds of Gibsons and it is not so obtrusive, I put up with it. On the other hand, none of my guitars is white, and I don't think I would put up with an obvious finish problem on the top.

A pal of mine owns a Gibson Les Paul with the light shining through a gap at the back end of the neck joint. There are no tonal or stability problems, but I prefer too much glue over too little, and ripples in the finish over a visible gap.

Hi Capmaster,

We've been talking about the black Victory MVX, but I picked up this thread and coincidentally my MVX is marked as a "Second" and has long ripples in the paint along the joint where the neck meets the fingerboard. I wondered what caused it - now I know - thanks again!

Oh, you're in Canada? I forget that forum members live all over the world. Not everybody has the same circumstances and expectations wherever they live. I assumed that everybody has the same sale opportunities that I have here in the USA.

We can get deals on B-stock guitars here in Canada, usually 10-15% off MAP. There are also great deals on blowouts from stores moving stock, as much as 50% at times. Used gear is all over the map, as it depends where you are looking and instrument value/ condition. Keep in mind, I live in a major city and I guess it could vary depending where someone lives. But in my experience, there are deals to be had.

Archived