Gibson Brands Forums

New models J-15 and J-29

Rich

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I want to congratulate Gibson on these new guitars and wish them every success. May they be classics.

Second, even though I've never played or even seen either of these guitars (and am therefore totally unqualified to write this review) I want to anticipate the inevitable and be the first reviewer in history to say of each guitar:

It's a Cannon!!![huh]

(Sorry PM).

FMA

Interesting indeed. Seems Gibson is keen to extend the success of the J-35 design with a rosewood and walnut version.

Would love to have a go, although '15' and '29' sounds a bit ..... light.

Yeah - '29'

Where'd they pluck that from ?

Nice looking thing though. I'd like a rattle on one myself

Yeah - '29'

Where'd they pluck that from ?

29 is one greater than 28, and 28 is ... well, you know. Seriously, that's why "29". (I was told that the idea originated about 1420 miles ESE of Bozeman.)

-- Bob R

Maybe we're just edging ever closer to being able to buy a Gartin or a Mibson guitar....

I'm just flabbergasted that nobody has come up with a Martin model called Jesus as yet, I mean technically it would be Jesus of Nazareth. That would sell by the truckload..... missed opportunity if you ask me.

So how do they do that ..... sell quality guitars at cheaper prices (J35 ...$1699 J15 $1499)? Maple is cheaper than walnut? Don't have to pay Ren's salary this year. Importing workers from wherever? Cutting back on profit (stupid idea, forget I said that). Lower quality .... hope not. I thought that the J35 was a loss leader. Will we see a $1299 guitar next year. At that rate they will be paying us to play Gibsons in the year 2023.

So how do they do that ..... sell quality guitars at cheaper prices (J35 ...$1699 J15 $1499)? Maple is cheaper than walnut? Don't have to pay Ren's salary this year. Importing workers from wherever? Cutting back on profit (stupid idea, forget I said that). Lower quality .... hope not. I thought that the J35 was a loss leader. Will we see a $1299 guitar next year. At that rate they will be paying us to play Gibsons in the year 2023.

Well, maple IS cheaper than walnut, if you're just talking about the cost of raw material.

If it's also a matte-finish guitar, that can save a step or two, but it sounds to me like the folks at Bozeman will be under some pretty dramatic pressure in order to bang these out at those prices and still maintain quality.

Can bolt-on necks and pseudo-ebony fretboards be far behind?

It's a CANNON!!!

Dang, FMA beat me to it! [tongue]

Seriously, the J-15 looks very interesting. I like walnut. Can't wait to try one. I would like to see more specs on these new models, but couldn't find anything on the internet. Wonder what the bracing pattern is. It may just be the picture, but I am not sure what wood was used for the fretboard of that J-15.

It's a CANNON!!!

Dang, FMA beat me to it! [tongue]

Ka-jing (x 2 - 3 if you count one on AGF last night). But you guys are creating an ethical dilemma. I want to come by the guitar money honestly not by contrivance. Won't be fun any longer. My fault really. I probably should not have said anything.

Hmm I think I'll pass.

Looks like the R&D department is catering to the beginner/cheap crowd a bit more. I'll stick with my J-35 and J-45.

But as mentioned where did they come up with the numbers, J-15, J-29??? [confused]

Hmm I think I'll pass.

Looks like the R&D department is catering to the beginner/cheap crowd a bit more. I'll stick with my J-35 and J-45.

But as mentioned where did they come up with the numbers, J-15, J-29??? [confused]

and people scoffed when I mentioned "J-37 and a bit" the other day...... I was bang on the money! to quote myself "Despite making very cool guitars, Gibson seem hell bent on making themselves as uncool as can be".

Archived