Gibson Brands Forums

New models J-15 and J-29

Rich

Hmm I think I'll pass.

Looks like the R&D department is catering to the beginner/cheap crowd a bit more. I'll stick with my J-35 and J-45.

I don't blame Gibson at all for finding ways to make more affordable guitars. Gets Gibsons into the hands of more players. I myself own some Gibbies on the higher end of their price range, but still am interested in checking out this J-15 with the walnut body.

And Gibson R&D has been putting out plenty of high dollar models lately as well - the 1935 Advanced Jumbo and 1934 Original Jumbo just to name a couple.

-

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think the $1500 price point has a ton of activity. In the electric market, Gibson prices a lot of guitars in that ballpark, so this should be comfortable territory for them.

Re baked maple fingerboards, I find them to have the hard & smooth feel of ebony. And although some can be fairly light in color, my two LPs with baked maple look more like a rather dark piece of rosewood. After having hands on experience with it, I wouldn't hesitate for a nano-second to consider an instrument with a baked maple board. Morado as seen on the WM series is also good stuff. Had a couple of WM-45s in the past, and they were very comfy players.

and people scoffed when I mentioned "J-37 and a bit" the other day...... I was bang on the money! to quote myself "Despite making very cool guitars, Gibson seem hell bent on making themselves as uncool as can be".

Too funny. Never met a guitar that was uncool. Met a lot of players though that were.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is uncool about making guitars for the less well-heeled. By that definition Spiro Agnew would be considered cool. But the real question - is Steve Buscemi cool?

Too funny. Never met a guitar that was uncool. Met a lot of players though that were.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is uncool about making guitars for the less well-heeled. By that definition Spiro Agnew would be considered cool. But the real question - is Steve Buscemi cool?

"Shut The F$%$ Up Donnie"

I think that they both look like winners to me for american made guitars. I especially like the Walnut back and sides J-15 model. [thumbup]

I don't think it will replace my walnut J-60 but it will expose many unfamiliar to walnut as a tonewood which I think is a good thing.

I don't blame Gibson at all for finding ways to make more affordable guitars. Gets Gibsons into the hands of more players. I myself own some Gibbies on the higher end of their price range, but still am interested in checking out this J-15 with the walnut body.

And Gibson R&D has been putting out plenty of high dollar models lately as well - the 1935 Advanced Jumbo and 1934 Original Jumbo just to name a couple.

-

Maybe a little too high dollar. [flapper] That OJ at 6K is ridiculous. [thumbdn]

I wonder if these are some of the strange ones we heard were sitting around in a warehouse, unsold? It does look a bit like they figured out ways to stretch odds and ends of wood they had and to cut production costs. I hope to try these out in Bozeman in June.

and people scoffed when I mentioned "J-37 and a bit" the other day...... I was bang on the money!

Yep. I wanted to say something at the time, but had been asked not to spread the word about the J-29 by the person who told me about it awhile ago.

-- Bob R

I wonder if these are some of the strange ones we heard were sitting around in a warehouse, unsold? It does look a bit like they figured out ways to...

And I imagine that Gibson's supply of walnut was greater than the number of buyers ready to step up to the plate on the purchase of one of the pricey Jackson Browne walnut 12 fret guitars. The offering of walnut on a high volume, less expensive guitar does look like a win-win for buyers and for Gibson as they would like to position themselves as having a more eco-friendly product line.

"Shut The F$%$ Up Donnie"

Yes, I too just watched The Big Lebowski last night. Now am off to get the fixings for a White Russian.

• 3 weeks later...

29 is one greater than 28, and 28 is ... well, you know. Seriously, that's why "29". (I was told that the idea originated about 1420 miles ESE of Bozeman.)

-- Bob R

I was told the same lol....... "one better than a D-28!"

I can't say I'm a fan of the name but I like the guitar. Short scale AJ!

So how do they do that ..... sell quality guitars at cheaper prices (J35 ...$1699 J15 $1499)? Maple is cheaper than walnut? Don't have to pay Ren's salary this year. Importing workers from wherever? Cutting back on profit (stupid idea, forget I said that). Lower quality .... hope not. I thought that the J35 was a loss leader. Will we see a $1299 guitar next year. At that rate they will be paying us to play Gibsons in the year 2023.

Regarding maple and walnut….I posed a question at AGF regarding what I considered to be an elevated price of another brands maple back and side models vs their mahogany and rw models. The reply i got made perfectly good sense; the fact that we have maple all around us here in north america is precisely why it is more expensive. The cost of sourcing the wood is significantly higher due to north american wages and cost of business. I don't know where they are sourcing the walnut from but with regard to maple, the answer seemed to make sense to me.

For those in the NYC Tri-state area... Russo's has a J29 just in... From their Facebook page...

Russo Music Asbury Park

28 minutes ago · Edited

The hardest thing to do this time of year is wait to open our Gibson Acoustic Guitars when they come in from the cold. But the wait is always worth it. Say hello to our new Gibson J29!

Oh, and we're open! — at Russo Music Asbury Park.

For those in the NYC Tri-state area... Russo's has a J29 just in... From their Facebook page...

Russo Music Asbury Park

28 minutes ago · Edited

The hardest thing to do this time of year is wait to open our Gibson Acoustic Guitars when they come in from the cold. But the wait is always worth it. Say hello to our new Gibson J29!

Oh, and we're open! — at Russo Music Asbury Park.

When are you heading over sal? :)

Maybe we're just edging ever closer to being able to buy a Gartin or a Mibson guitar....

I'm just flabbergasted that nobody has come up with a Martin model called Jesus as yet, I mean technically it would be Jesus of Nazareth. That would sell by the truckload..... missed opportunity if you ask me.

Fender could release the Judas to coincide. Cheap at 30 pieces of silver too.

• 9 months later...

I was looking at Gibson acoustics on the zzounds website and noticed two new models coming soon.

A J-15 and a J-29

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRS15

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRS29

I Played the J-15 at guitar center in Yonkers. Even with the crappy strings that were dead dead dead it sounded so sweet. After going back to play it a half dozen times over the next couple of weeks I bought one and changed out the ceramic saddle for bone, strings for Elixir phos bronz light meds and the crappy tuners for some Grover sealed back vintage tulips like the Les Paul comes with. Can't put it down. I have a house full of very high end acoustics and I haven't hardly played any of them since I got this cheap assed Gibson. So responsive, so sweet. Just speaks to me. Even thought the holes show from the old tuners it works so much better.

post-47884-046336500 1415291091_thumb.jpg

post-47884-058758000 1415291112_thumb.jpg

Archived