Gibson Brands Forums

i need your opinion about...

deelaz

Well actually i like the 57 Classics lots better than the BB Pros, which were in my LP Std Faded. But i am sure this depends very much on the amp you're about to plug your guitar into. I play a Mesa/Boogie Caliber .50 +. With the original BB Pros, it was almost impossible to get a nice crunch sound out of this amp. Every Gain settings (Lead Channel) over 1 turned out as fizzy, harsh sounding distortion. Now, with the 57 Classics, i turn the gain to 3 - and voila nice meaty, creamy blues rock crunch sounds are there, nice for old style ZZ Top or Allman Brothers stuff. Actually exactly the sound i was always lokking for. But as i said, this may depend very much on the amp and the sound you're looking for. Maybe when you want get a nice overdrive sound out of a Fender amp or vintage marshall amp, or max out your gain on a dual rectifier, the BB Pro might be a better choice. Also, my Caliber .50 isn't very bassy by itself - with 2x12'' Speakers or a 4x12'' Box the Classic 57 may sound somewhat bassy.

Most of my reissues and the LP I had custom made all have 57 Classics in them. I love them. I like BBs too, but the 57s are great vintage tone monsters. They sound best IMO through a good tube amp, they are good through my solid state Marshall, but really come to life through my Epi Valve Jr or Fender DeVille. They break up really well when driven through the tubes, and have a lot of vintage quack to them. They can also handle a lot of more modern music too.

Archived