Gibson Brands Forums

73 LP custom

snatas

577781_227610330706874_101576835_n.jpg

I have a 73 LP custom stamped as a factory 2 nd now I have been going back and forth on wanting to sell this guitar but can't price it because It's a factory second, now mind you that it's a player but I don't want to shortchange myself on the sale. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Those potential buyers, who know vintage Les Pauls, are completely aware of that a guitar back then, could easily get the Factory Second rating for a tiny, almost unnoticable fault.

If someone points out to that, tell Him to evaluate the instrument itself, and don't get away with silly stamps.

Good luck with selling!

Cheers... Bence

The factory stamped second was for minor cosmetic defects and had nothing to do with the structure, so by now you would not know a second from an original if it was a player. Base the price on the condition as it is now and not what it sold for when new.

Here's the catch.

Whatever reason it was stamped "2" for 40 years ago has long been eclipsed by normal wear and tear, but........

it's still stamped "2"! There has always been a stigma surrounding these 70's 2nds (even as new), and it's going to be more difficult to sell at any price, and probably require a substantial discount from "fair market value" of a non-2nd.

Archived