Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone PR 755S

A440

.... Hope someone can help! I have been trying to get a dating and tracking source for an Epiphone I bought in the late '70s. It is my baby. If I had to cull the herd, this would be the last one standing. Awesome tone ... bright crisp bottom and resounding bass. Sorry I was daydreaming! I bought it new from Norlin/Turner music in Scarborough Ont.(a buddy of mine worked @ Turner) and have never looked back. For those not familiar with the model "sorry" ... anyway I was told it was a "first year" model and that all the material was shipped to JAPAN from North America ?? Some of you out there may appreciate my dilemma as they say if you remember the '70s you weren't there ... I was there :)

A picture with the serial# would eventually be helpful to date it....

Thank you for the responses some pics as requested. Stamped # under truss nut inside on neck block 502055 with a K underneath the stamped number. The white sticker is 0300302 and of course the stamp on the bracing that says PR755S made in Japan. Typical from my research solid spruce top, 3pc back, maple binding and gold tuners. I was led to believe it was the first year of production ... but I don't remember the year. Would love any helpful info and would really love to find a twin for it for some ideas I have. :)

A440

post-62304-055762200 1389547978_thumb.jpg

post-62304-036671100 1389548038_thumb.jpg

post-62304-060908300 1389548120_thumb.jpg

post-62304-033261700 1389548125_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the responses some pics as requested. Stamped # under truss nut inside on neck block 502055 with a K underneath the stamped number. The white sticker is 0300302 and of course the stamp on the bracing that says PR755S made in Japan. Typical from my research solid spruce top, 3pc back, maple binding and gold tuners. I was led to believe it was the first year of production ... but I don't remember the year. Would love any helpful info and would really love to find a twin for it for some ideas I have. :)

A440

Hey man. Did you ever find out any info on this guitar? I've got one too you see and like you, have never seen another. My dad gave me mine years ago after he'd played it for some years. He was also given it by a guy he played in a band with.

NOPE! NEVER HEARD A WORD ABOUT IT FROM ANYONE UNTIL YOU .... NOW. STILL MY FAVOURITE ... WOULD LIKE TO FIND ANOTHER ONE.

GOOD LUCK ....WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?

A440

I live in the UK mate. Blackpool, Lancashire. I guess they didn't make many hey

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY WERE MADE ... I DO KNOW THAT EPIPHONE'S RECORDS AREN'T QUITE ACCURATE AS I BOUGHT MINE BEFORE THE COMPANY SAYS IT WAS MANUFACTURED ??? AT ANY RATE I LOVE IT AND WOULD LOVE TO GET ANOTHER ONE TO "HOT ROD" IT A LITTLE ..... I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE BODY OR DRILL ANY EXTRA HOLES ... BUT I WOULD LOVE TO INSTALL A PICKUP AND DON'T WANT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THE ORIGINAL BUILD. A COUPLE OF FELLOWS I GET TOGETHER WITH ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS PLAY TAKAMINE AND A '59 MARTIN D18 AND THEY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH BETTER MINE SOUNDS AND PLAYS. I GUESS IF IT'S MEANT TO BE I'LL COME ACROSS ONE.

CHEERS A440

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY WERE MADE ...

I think you could say they're rare. But not unknown - that epiwiki link has the specs on them. 1992-1996, fancy fret markers, bound headstock, "abalone accented" rosette... nice!

• Solid spruce top
  • Rosewood back & sides
  • Hand scalloped Epi-X bracing

As with all PR series, I believe, that's a laminate back and sides. The scalloped X system apparently does allow for a little more "give" to the vibes, so I can see that thing projecting some sounds. [thumbup]

I think you could say they're rare. But not unknown - that epiwiki link has the specs on them. 1992-1996, fancy fret markers, bound headstock, "abalone accented" rosette... nice!

• Solid spruce top
  • Rosewood back & sides
  • Hand scalloped Epi-X bracing

As with all PR series, I believe, that's a laminate back and sides. The scalloped X system apparently does allow for a little more "give" to the vibes, so I can see that thing projecting some sounds. [thumbup]

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT ... BUT AS MENTIONED EPI RECORDS ARE NOT AS THEY COULD BE ... I PURCHASED MINE IN THE 70'S BRAND NEW FROM A GIBSON SUPPLIER IN TORONTO CANADA. (TURNER MUSIC) BEFORE THEY BECAME NORLIN MUSIC. THE "S" IS FOR SOLID TOP ... I UNDERSTAND THEY MADE A 2PC AS WELL. MINE HAS THE GOLD HARDWARE AND MAPLE (I BELIEVE) BINDING. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER. I ALSO HAVE A 745 BUT IT IS NO COMPARISON.

Thanks I love mine and don't want to alter it ... so I would feel better "modding" a twin. When I bought mine new it was $300 dealer cost which was expensive for the 70's ... but no regrets.eusa_dance.gif A440

• 3 weeks later...

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY WERE MADE ... I DO KNOW THAT EPIPHONE'S RECORDS AREN'T QUITE ACCURATE AS I BOUGHT MINE BEFORE THE COMPANY SAYS IT WAS MANUFACTURED ??? AT ANY RATE I LOVE IT AND WOULD LOVE TO GET ANOTHER ONE TO "HOT ROD" IT A LITTLE ..... I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE BODY OR DRILL ANY EXTRA HOLES ... BUT I WOULD LOVE TO INSTALL A PICKUP AND DON'T WANT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THE ORIGINAL BUILD. A COUPLE OF FELLOWS I GET TOGETHER WITH ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS PLAY TAKAMINE AND A '59 MARTIN D18 AND THEY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH BETTER MINE SOUNDS AND PLAYS. I GUESS IF IT'S MEANT TO BE I'LL COME ACROSS ONE.

CHEERS A440

I just popped in here as I *just* bought a PR 755s YESTERDAY. Some girl who lives 6 blocks from here posted hers on CL. How could I not go check it out. Just an awesome guitar. Is there a way to tell what year it was made? My serial is 811055 with a K underneath. I was looking for a "beater" guitar to take to the beach or to have something to loan to friends (I don't loan my others out to ANYONE). This was far more guitar than I ever expected. Just waiting for my Martin D-35 to come back from a neck reset to do a side-by-side.

As far as pickups go, I'm with you. I don't want to alter mine either. I now have four vintage acoustics, the newest one being only 25 years old. I've been doing some acoustic gigs lately and picked up a Seymour Duncan Wood XL soundhole pickup and have been very happy with it. The XL has the adjustable posts which I have found to be essential for a balanced sound. It comes with a 14' hardwired cable but I bob-tailed mine so I can unplug without having to drag around an extra 12' of cable. Installation is easy on the fly and I only need one pickup for all my acoustics.

post-73871-053968000 1441644884_thumb.jpg

post-73871-049590900 1441644895_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You don't hear much about the older PR series. Glad you found a good one. There are some other discussions about suspect quality of 70's era Epiphones but I like mine and it sounds like yours is a keeper too.

Epiwiki says 1979-85. Could that be right for yours? Norlin took over Gibson in 1969 or 70.

I've got a PR 795AE, which I've had since the early 90's.

DSCN1082_zpsi1fyruzh.jpg

You don't hear much about the older PR series. Glad you found a good one. There are some other discussions about suspect quality of 70's era Epiphones but I like mine and it sounds like yours is a keeper too.

Epiwiki says 1979-85. Could that be right for yours? Norlin took over Gibson in 1969 or 70.

I've got a PR 795AE, which I've had since the early 90's.

DSCN1082_zpsi1fyruzh.jpg

• 3 years later...

.... Hope someone can help! I have been trying to get a dating and tracking source for an Epiphone I bought in the late '70s. It is my baby. If I had to cull the herd, this would be the last one standing. Awesome tone ... bright crisp bottom and resounding bass. Sorry I was daydreaming! I bought it new from Norlin/Turner music in Scarborough Ont.(a buddy of mine worked @ Turner) and have never looked back. For those not familiar with the model "sorry" ... anyway I was told it was a "first year" model and that all the material was shipped to JAPAN from North America ?? Some of you out there may appreciate my dilemma as they say if you remember the '70s you weren't there ... I was there :)

I have one. They are fantastic guitars. I bought mine on the facebook online marketplace for 100 bucks. I have Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Fender, Gretsch, among others, and my Epiphone PR755S is certainly a favorite! Determining date was a dead end for me also. Keep it, there will never be anymore of them. Mine is family! 🙂

• 1 year later...

I Worked for Norlin in the late 70's early 80's, by the time the Epiphone PRS755S came out it was 1980-81 and the distributor was then called NUCO.  Twelve (12) units shipped to Canada and my role at the time was to inspect every guitar that came into the country.  
I selected the best 3 of the PRS755S and over a period of 3 weeks selected that ONE,,, 300301 is the serial number.  I can say I still have the guitar today and it is still a dream. 

The model didn't sell well in Canada and as far as I know was discontinued as a solid spruce top after 1984.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...