Gibson Brands Forums

Quick connect pickups

y2julio

Would appreciate some help with this conundrum.

So I was looking at replacing the stock pickups on my Les Paul Studio with a pair of '57 Classics or Seymour Duncan Seth Lover's.

I went to open the back plate to check the wiring and electronics and I see this.

5rya.jpg

So I googled this and found out my guitar is equipped with quick connect, no soldering? great! but...then I started looking at Gibson's quick connect pickups and see that they all have a two wire configuration, which these have a 4 wire configuration. Would those work on this board? From what I looked, the 4 wire allows coil-tapping. If I get the two wired sets, I will lose that feature right?

Other than ripping the whole entire thing out and getting the typical wiring harness (trying to keep this as much stock as possible), what are my options in pickup replacements for this guitar?

Thanks!

From what I looked, the 4 wire allows coil-tapping.

I'm sure you meant coil-splitting which let's you play your humbucker in singlecoil mode? [biggrin]

coil-tapping is something completely different [flapper]

however, as you suspected, getting a 2-conductor pickup won't let you split the humbucker.

I'm sure you meant coil-splitting which let's you play your humbucker in singlecoil mode? [biggrin]

coil-tapping is something completely different [flapper]

however, as you suspected, getting a 2-conductor pickup won't let you split the humbucker.

Yeah I meant coil-splitting lol I'm still a bit confused about those still. I've read a couple of threads online where people say that they come with an adapters that allow them to be used interchangeably with those QuickConnect boards set up with 4-conductor pickups while others that say they had to return them because it wasn't compatible with the socket on the board. [confused]

Yeah I meant coil-splitting lol I'm still a bit confused about those still. I've read a couple of threads online where people say that they come with an adapters that allow them to be used interchangeably with those QuickConnect boards set up with 4-conductor pickups while others that say they had to return them because it wasn't compatible with the socket on the board. [confused]

I believe that Gibson makes 57's with the quick connect if you really want them.

Quick connect pups

yeah but in the photo it's a two pin plug. The ones in my les paul currently are 5 pin plugs. That's why I wanted to know if they all come with adapters.

I see what you mean. But not the Burstbuckers. But they do make 57's in four wire and they do make some 4-wire quick connect pickups. Just call some of the bigger stores about that. I would think that any four wire QC pup would accommodate splitting.

I see what you mean. But not the Burstbuckers. But they do make 57's in four wire and they do make some 4-wire quick connect pickups. Just call some of the bigger stores about that. I would think that any four wire QC pup would accommodate splitting.

Guess I'll have to go to Guitar Center, hopefully they're not shrink wrapped closed and maybe they will let me take a look at the pickups before buying them.

Well I ended up buying them from Sweetwater after giving them a call.

Here is what Gibson shows on their website, along with other online shops.

iluu.jpg

Here is what the actual pickup looks like plus the adapter.

d12y.jpg

Would make everyone's life easier, if they stopped using old stock photos from Gibson.

The picture might be too dark to notice but the end plug on the pickup is indeed a 5 pin plug which does allow me to continue using the push/pull pots for coil tapping since the current pickups on it were 5 pin plugs as well. That's why I was annoyed at gibson using an old and outdated picture to sell the pickups.

Would appreciate some help with this conundrum.

So I was looking at replacing the stock pickups on my Les Paul Studio with a pair of '57 Classics or Seymour Duncan Seth Lover's.

I went to open the back plate to check the wiring and electronics and I see this.

5rya.jpg

So I googled this and found out my guitar is equipped with quick connect, no soldering? great! but...then I started looking at Gibson's quick connect pickups and see that they all have a two wire configuration, which these have a 4 wire configuration. Would those work on this board? From what I looked, the 4 wire allows coil-tapping. If I get the two wired sets, I will lose that feature right?

Other than ripping the whole entire thing out and getting the typical wiring harness (trying to keep this as much stock as possible), what are my options in pickup replacements for this guitar?

Thanks!

I assumed that was what that wiring harness was, but unless your guitar with the circuit board came with push pull pots (which I assume it didn't cause it originally came with 2 conductor pups) you will need to install them and rewire the guitar to make it work. I had that same thing in my SG Std and I rippped it out when I put a set of Lindy Fralin's in.

As shown in the picture, the guitar features a capacitor-tuned coil split and pickups with five pole terminals, four conductors and screen. So the pickup swap should work without any use of adaptors. [thumbup]

• 1 year later...

<div><div>Reverse Quick-Connect adapters:</div><div><br></div><div>For anyone who may be interested I have made a few pairs of "reverse" quick-connect 4-conductor (5-wire) adapters. These work with Gibson quick-connect pickups, like the '57 Classics I have, and can be used to connect your quick-connect pickups to a conventional harness without having to clip off the ends of your quick-connect pups.  Just connect your quick-connect plug into the adapter, and solder the adapter wires as you would normally (standard wiring, coil-tap, phase, series/parallel, etc).</div><div><br></div><div>I have them on ebay right now, but if you see this post loooong after the listing ends and are interested in a pair, just send me a message thru the forum. I can even make you a custom color-coded set to match your DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or other pickup manufacturer.</div><div><br></div><div>Thx</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-2.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-1.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-3.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-4.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-5.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>gibson-reverse-quick-connect-6.jpg</div></div><div><br></div><div>Thx,</div><div>SunDogAZ

</div>

post-16048-093003600 1437260381_thumb.jpg

Archived