Gibson Brands Forums

My burst bucker pro are microphonic !!

MikeBrunox

Hi

I bought a Grace Potter FlyingV last april and I have a problem with those pickups being microphonic.

Very simple : I can not play with any overdriven hi gain sound without uncontrolled microphonic feedbacks.

This since my last gig last week. Weird !!!

Back in the studio, I compare to my SG with the 57 classics and those are just perfect and loud with any hi gain setting. A/B switching to the Flying V ; Can not play any solo at all ! feedbacks between the notes...

On the Flying V those P-Us are the original Burstbucker pro and they r supposed to handle loud rock stage… Not mine !!!

The problem : Musician’s Friend told me that they can not do anything for me…

What ?

-Should I get any after sale services ??? One warranty anyone ?

Any thoughts on this ? advise ?

Thanks !!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I bought a Grace Potter FlyingV last april and I have a problem with those pickups being microphonic.

Very simple : I can not play with any overdriven hi gain sound without uncontrolled microphonic feedbacks.

Back in the studio, I compare to my SG with the 57 classics and those are just perfect and loud with any hi gain setting. A/B switching to the Flying V ; Can not play any solo at all ! feedbacks between the notes...

On the Flying V those P-Us are the original Burstbucker pro and they r supposed to handle loud rock stage… Not mine !!!

What ?

Thanks !!

Hello,

I do believe that the burstbucker pros are not potted from the factory. . thus the feedback problems when you use high volume/gain. I would recommend getting them potted or doing it yourself.

Hello,

I do believe that the burstbucker pros are not potted from the factory. . thus the feedback problems when you use high volume/gain. I would recommend getting them potted or doing it yourself.

All the Burstbucker pickups are unpotted, but Gibson says the BB Pros come with "extra noise reduction" whatever this may refer to... I quote from here:

http://store.gibson.com/burstbucker-pro-bridge-pickup/

"Extra noise reduction keeps things quiet even in the high-gain rig."

At least for mine it works, but also have to say that my set of BB 1 & 2 featuring coils of the same make is fairly quiet. Perhaps bad tolerances in case of Mike's Flying V?

all my BB pro's are potted from the factory- that's one of the differences between the BBs and BB pros, plus the A5 magnet.

It was my understanding that the first BBs were not potted, when the BB pros where introduced, Gibsons big selling point was that they were now potted.

all my BB pro's are potted from the factory- that's one of the differences between the BBs and BB pros, plus the A5 magnet.

It was my understanding that the first BBs were not potted, when the BB pros where introduced, Gibsons big selling point was that they were now potted.

Does that mean that the BB Pro's "extra noise reduction" advertised by Gibson is wax potting? Then the Grace Potter Flying V should be featuring this... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mid 90s V.

I put a 57 Plus in the bridge position.

It's my best sounding Gibson.

I put the same pickup in my SG and

It got different results.

I guess it's the wood.

I just ordered a bridge position burstbucker pro

For the SG, waiting to hear the results.

Hi

What ?

Thanks !!

I have a mid 90s V.

I put a 57 Plus in the bridge position.

It's my best sounding Gibson.

I put the same pickup in my SG and

It got different results.

I guess it's the wood.

I just ordered a bridge position burstbucker pro

For the SG, waiting to hear the results.

Hi

What ?

Thanks !!

Bridge position burstbucker Pro sounds awesome in my Gibson SG.

It's Hot so I turn down volume on guitar a little more than usual.

Damn it sounds good!

I play stereo thru 2 amps.

Fender 4/10 blues deville and Marshall 50W plexi 4/12 cab

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge position burstbucker Pro sounds awesome in my Gibson SG.

It's Hot so I turn down volume on guitar a little more than usual.

Damn it sounds good!

I play stereo thru 2 amps.

Fender 4/10 blues deville and Marshall 50W plexi 4/12 cab

• 1 year later...

oJust waxpotted the Burstbucker Pro in bridge position on my 2009 Les Paul Standard. What a relief! Now I can dial in more gain and crank things up without uncontrollable squealing. Gibson should be clear about their "extra noise reduction": is it wax potting or not? As far as I can tell, it's not!

Gibson should be clear about their "extra noise reduction": is it wax potting or not? As far as I can tell, it's not!

Apparently not on the non "Pro" models, as mentioned earlier in this old thread.

In any case, welcome to the boards. A good upgrade on your LP!

I started a thread in this area a few weeks ago

Unpotted Picups on Gibsons

I listed several models (not a comprehensive list)that were shipped with unpotted pups. It was obvious that a lot of people like them. It was also obvious that there is a lot of difference of opinion. :-"

Archived