Gibson Brands Forums

59 tribute pickups vs 57 classic...?

MikeBrunox

Anyone have tried those new pick ups 59 tribute that are installed on the new traditional LP ?

I wonder how they compare to the 57 classic ...

Thanks

I just ordered a new Traditional, have not played it yet. I hope to have it by this time next week and will give you a review after playing it next to my 2013 Traditional.

59 tribute pickups are actually not even related to the 57 Classics. The 59's are a member of the Burstbucker family. While the 57 Classics are balanced coils, the Burstbuckers are unbalanced, with the slug coil being hotter than the screw coil. On the 59's, they made the Screw coil hotter than the slug coil, which gives it a more "single coil" high end character.

-Ryan

59 tribute pickups are actually not even related to the 57 Classics. The 59's are a member of the Burstbucker family. While the 57 Classics are balanced coils, the Burstbuckers are unbalanced, with the slug coil being hotter than the screw coil. On the 59's, they made the Screw coil hotter than the slug coil, which gives it a more "single coil" high end character.

-Ryan

Yeah, what he said. Check out the link in the lounge to the video where the Gibson guys go to Sweetwater.

Video

OK, got the guitar. I compared it to my 2013 Traditional and my 30th Anniversary LP with Shaw pups. The 59 tribute pups are definitely brighter but not in a bad way. There is a little more chime in all positions. The neck pup is less muddy, and to me, more useable by itself than any of the 57's I have. As a result, the in between setting has less mud and is more chimey, lots of chirps, more responsive, and you can get an almost metallic clank with certain a pick attack which I really like. Also, it is also easier to clean the sound up when you need to, it sound cleaner when both pups are on 7 or 10 than my 2013 traditional. This particular guitar was listed at 8 lbs, 4 oz but I haven't weighed it yet, the 2013 is closer to 9 lbs and the 30th anniversary LP is about 9 1/2 lbs. They all sound like Les Pauls but the 2014 has a little less of that mid-range roar that the others have. Quite responsive but not as punchy or bright as an SG. It sustains like crazy. Oh, yeah, they don't mention this on the site but this LP has what I believe are a Tonepros locking bridge and tailpiece.

12140543665_11832ccdcd.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Got one... same color.

I was concerned about the 59 pups since I really like 57s. I don't care for really bright sounding Les Pauls. I notice no difference in output as car as response, gain, loudness. These 59s don't actually sound brighter to me in my guitar... (possibly due to wood composition?), but maybe cleaner and more articulate. I really like them and am glad I took the plunge on the new 2014 Traditional. This guitar has all the vintage tone I need for classic rock and blues.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The 59s just have a different voice through low, mid and high range. I've been bouncing back and forth between the 57-57+ and the 59s. Lower output for sure, but the treble tone is just different. Its more of a hollow twangy Gretsch tone. The 57 mids are loose compared to the 59s and the lows are somewhat similar though the 59s have a slightly more percussive tighter sound. I think they are a interesting middle ground between the BB-1 and 3 and the 57-57+ I was fooling with a looper and tracked both neck tones and both bridge. The 59s came though clearer than the 57s which while I was playing didn't seem to be so. But after standing back and listening to the 4- loops with the same music. The 59s are an interesting alternative or flavor if you will. Filtertron/modern Alinco II PAF cross comes to mind also.

I don't know I kinda like both sets at the moment. I'm still investigating but am having a good time with the 59s at the moment. I'd like to hear them A/B'd with the Dimarzio 36ths. Or even his PAF Joes with that "aw" sound in the treble strings. I don't know that they are bright though, when I think of PAF bright I think Seth Lovers.

Being that this comparison stuff is so subjective I will have to reserve my overall opinion on the 59s.

• 3 months later...

I had a dillema whether I should go with the 2014 traditional or an earlier model with 57 classic pickups.

Ended up with both :-) Here are quick videos I shot comparing the two:

I don't think the videos cover 10% of the tone spectrum you can get from these guitars. The two instruments can be very different, depending how they are played and through what amps. They also react nice to tone and volume controls.

I like both the 57 classic and 59 tributes. They both sing beautifully imo. I think the 57s are a bit more creamy and mellow. Perfect for blues. 59s have a bit more top end and make it easy to squeez pinch harmonics. I think they will cut better through the mix or band. They're not harsh or anything like that, they're just a bit more glassy. Think of Jimmy Page's solo on Whole Lotta Love - you can easily get a tone like that with these pickups. If I had to pick...jeez...not sure I'd be able to. For playing on your own, without any other instruments, I think the 57 classics are a bit more pleasing, they also growl more easily. The 59s will shine in a mix though. Tough choice - buy both :-)

• 2 months later...

OK, so after both my guitars went through a professional setup, I can finally chose the winner.

My favourite guitar is the 2014 Traditional with 59 tributes.

It just has more of that vintage tone. If you're into rock and hard rock, go for it.

The 57 classic just doesn't have the vibe of vintage Les Pauls imho.

It does sit well in the mix though.

Check out this blind test and see which one you like most yourself:

It's amazing what a professional setup can do to a guitar though. The 2014 on the video above, sounds not even half as good as it does now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to hear them A/B'd with the Dimarzio 36ths.

DP103 are great pickups! Gibson factory equipped them on the 335 Lemonburst and if you're a clean player you will likely enjoy them paired together, the tone is much more vibrant and enjoyable than paired 57s and paired 59s. They're my first choice for natural clean luscious tone.

As soon as gain is added, they lose their 1st choice priority. Although still enjoyable, the 57s are creamy (ZZTop) and the 59s brighter (High Gain Marshall). The LP Trad is a nice guitar that has incredible sustain, and helps the 59s trump the 57s for me.

I picked up a 2014 Trad last month for a few reasons. One the neck is beefy and I love it, the pickups had a very interesting tone compared to the 57s I have had in the past, and i just had to have a tobacco burst AA top. So far I really like the 59s,they are brighter than the 57s and i enjoy them much more on my Soldano Decatone than the 57s that were in my 2012 Trad and ES339. I had rewired my 339 with BKP 550k pots and .022 Treble/.015 Rhythm caps with a 50s Gibson LP tone circuit and installed BK abraxas pickups. Basically a beefed up 59 PAF. Yesterday i decided i would do a swap between the ES 339s abraxas set and the Trads 59Ts. The 2014 LP Trad got the same tone circuit as well. I am so glad I did, the LP has more chunk and power but still has that 59 PAF vibe which i love, but more bottom and mids. The 339, which has a very warm rich acoustic tone, is now beautifully balanced with the 59Ts. I have always enjoyed a brighter character pickup in hollow and semi hollow bodies, like P94s in a 335. The 59Ts handle the gain well, unlike the stock 57s which I wasnt crazy about. Once you got past blues breaker amount of gain, It just didnt stay tight enough. The 59Ts stay tight and articulate and have awesome lead tones on the neck. I wish Gibson would offer these as a regular production pickup. Definitely nothing like It being offered for aftermarket pickups from Gibson. If I find myself needing another set, I will likely buy the BKP Mule set, Alnico IV magnets and built era correct to the 59 PAFs. Would make an interesting comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

guys i do have a sg fadded with 57 classics and a traditional 2014

well in my opinion 59 sounds better clean or with a litle crunch... but with distortion 57 sounds better, louder..

in my case, first les paul, i felt a litle disaoointed... trad 2014 is a weak les paul.. who wants a les paul with a single coil sound?

im a randy rhoads and steve jones fan... both got 74 custom, loud...

my doubt is: if i replace my pickups i can get this sound!?

cheers

• 5 years later...

I have 59 tributes in a traditional and 57s in a classic, the 59s are warmer with more bottom end and sustain well the 57s are very clean and clear but in comparison sound flatter , depends on your sound requirements, hope this helps.

regards,

Russ.

• 7 months later...
On 6/10/2015 at 8:04 PM, denis-brazil said:

well in my opinion 59 sounds better clean or with a litle crunch... but with distortion 57 sounds better, louder..

in my case, first les paul, i felt a litle disaoointed... trad 2014 is a weak les paul.. who wants a les paul with a single coil sound?

cheers

On 6/10/2015 at 8:04 PM, denis-brazil said:

cheers

David Gilmour loves a Les Paul with a single coil (P90) sound.   That's his P90 Les Paul Goldtop doing lead on. Comfortably Numb.