Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson real, or fake? Help!

thanks for the bigger pics... regarding authenticity, its hard to say for sure however based on the pics, it appears that the body shape seems to be little off. The shoulders of the guitar and the overall body curve doesn't seem to be quite right. Perhaps its the angle of the pics but I have seen a couple of these in person and it does seem a little off for some reason. Keep looking into it for sure but I am a little suspect on this one.

Cheers

Chad

thanks for the bigger pics... regarding authenticity, its hard to say for sure however based on the pics, it appears that the body shape seems to be little off. The shoulders of the guitar and the overall body curve doesn't seem to be quite right. Perhaps its the angle of the pics but I have seen a couple of these in person and it does seem a little off for some reason. Keep looking into it for sure but I am a little suspect on this one.

Cheers

Chad

Me too. The headstock is what is throwing me off the most.

The whole thing is throwing me off. I seem to be looking at two different labels in those pics. Send an inquiry directly to Gibson Inc. and get an answer. I am not even familiar with that model.... [confused]

I googled J30.....and this is not that!

DANGER....Will Robinson [laugh]

One thing that stands out to me......For all the fanciness of the peghead, one would expect more than dot inlays on the fretboard. Is this something you own....OR....just looking at?

The whole thing is throwing me off. I seem to be looking at two different labels in those pics. Send an inquiry directly to Gibson Inc. and get an answer. I am not even familiar with that model.... [confused]

I googled J30.....and this is not that!

DANGER....Will Robinson [laugh]

One thing that stands out to me......For all the fanciness of the peghead, one would expect more than dot inlays on the fretboard. Is this something you own....OR....just looking at?

Just looking at. There are two labels inside. I have sent pictures and an email directly to gibson customer service. Haven't gotten anything back though.

The more research I do the more I'm thinking it may be fake. I just want to know for sure.

Interesting puzzle here. From looking at the photos, it seems that it could be legit, and if so, it could have been a one-off or an employee-owned type of thing.

Then again, there certainly are some things that appear odd (those two labels- and their location, for example). I'm not a flattop enthusiast or expert, so I'm basically going to defer.

Is that a white sticker on the top? I would want to know more about that, and see a close-up photo.

If this is being sold by a private party (especially if they're unable or unwilling to send you more photos), I would be very skeptical and cautious. If it's being sold by a store or dealer, you should definitely expect to be provided with more information.

Interesting puzzle here. From looking at the photos, it seems that it could be legit, and if so, it could have been a one-off or an employee-owned type of thing.

Then again, there certainly are some things that appear odd (those two labels- and their location, for example). I'm not a flattop enthusiast or expert, so I'm basically going to defer.

Is that a white sticker on the top? I would want to know more about that, and see a close-up photo.

If this is being sold by a private party (especially if they're unable or unwilling to send you more photos), I would be very skeptical and cautious. If it's being sold by a store or dealer, you should definitely expect to be provided with more information.

No white sticker on it

No problem. When I said "top", I was referring to the soundboard.

I've been a guitar enthusiast for about 35 years, and I think this might be the first time I've ever seen someone put a price sticker right on the top of a guitar. I hope it's not a strong adhesive.

Still curious, so I hope you get more info...

No problem. When I said "top", I was referring to the soundboard.

I've been a guitar enthusiast for about 35 years, and I think this might be the first time I've ever seen someone put a price sticker right on the top of a guitar. I hope it's not a strong adhesive.

Still curious, so I hope you get more info...

It's at a random small pawn shop that deals mostly in guns. They have a few other upper end guitars, and I'm trying to buy all of their higher end stuff that has been there for a while. Everything else is real and verifiable. Some are slightly rare including a formula 1l gibson and some older arch tops. A couple les Paul's and a few fenders.

I just don't know about this one.

While this mystery plays out.....How does it play and sound? Any pics of the back of the headstock and upper neck? Is there any sign of having a pickguard attached(shadow)? The peghead reminds me of a modified Heritage guitar-syle peghead.

No numbers or stamps on the back of the peghead? Come with case?

How much are they asking?

Wasn,t the J30 a square-shouldered model?

It is hard to tell from pics alone, but it 'appears' to be of decent quality.....and certainly a 'novelty' if it is a real Gibson-made guitar.

I am leaning with Jim's opinion, that it could be an employee-made guitar, especially with the odd double-label and 'custom' designation and 'especially' if it has no serial# on the back of the peghead. ....or it has been 're-necked'.

Rod

It occurs to me that the headstock is reminiscent of the design of some vintage Gibson mandolins. I'm not sure if any mandolins with that head shape also featured a flowerpot inlay. At any rate, it's almost like somebody combined features they liked from different Gibson instruments. The overall quality of these elements (at least judging from the photos) does not suggest "fake" to me. But I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

I've tried to find other Gibson instruments that have the same style logo as this guitar and I just can't find one where the "G" in gibson has the same styling as this one. I found a couple of images from 1920's all the way up to 2012. Based on that alone I would have to say this is a fake.

Keith

Archived