Gibson Brands Forums

What's So Special About The True Vintage Guitars?

Stu2820

The TV's are way more expensve than the Historics and Reissues they've replaced' date=' so how have Gison justified the price increase?[/quote']

Stu,

You seem to be confused. First, its the MCs replaced the old lines -- they're essentially the same guitars with minor updates changes (different tuners and labels), and they're similarly priced. So there are no price increases to "justify". Second, prices don't have to be justified. Markets determine prices, and the market likes the prices of the TVs just fine. Enough people are willing to pay the difference between the MCs and the TVs that Gibson is selling all the TVs they build.

If your next question is "Why are people willing to play more for a TV?" the answer is people (in general) think the TVs (in general) sound better than the MCs. (And also that they sound better the recent models that the MCs replaced, for that matter. )

If you're trying to compare guitars by comparing their spec sheets rather than using your ears, no wonder you're confused! O:)

-- Bob R

If you're trying to compare guitars by comparing their spec sheets rather than using your ears' date=' no wonder you're confused! O:)

-- Bob R[/quote']

Bob, You are soooooooooooooo right on the money ! I tried this. First, while I am sure there are many that can tell you the nut width, back, side, and top wood, the country from which it originated, and possibly the ship on which it arrived. But, I find it waaaaay too confusing. Very interesting, mind you, and certainly worth a glance for $hiiiites and giggles, but still too confusing !

Sound. Nothing to recall in the way of numbers, wood names, countries, or blood types. Just that sweet A$$ sound! THAT, my friend, is not only easily discernible, but memorable !

Yeah, I'm confused alright. No disrespect to Gibson but in comparison other manufacturers, their guitars are shrouded in mystery and they don't seem to make any effort to make things clear. Not sure if that creates mojo or just puts people off.

I refer to SJ-200's in particular. On paper, the SJ-200 Historic Reissue (a 50's replica) has the same specs as the new TV (another 50's replica). The HR is no longer avaliable and now the TV is. From a naive punters perspective, it looks like they changed the name, gave it a different case and marketed the same guitar at a much higher price.

Can anyone tell me about the SJ lines in general. What should I look for? What new SJ is regarded as having the best tone? Where do I start? I can't find any in dealers near me and am thinking of flying abroad just to try them out.

Why can I get a "Custom Shop" Elite or Montana Gold from certain unofficial online dealers for less than a TV?

I dont think the management end of Gibson has sorted how they want to address the vintage market (getting the tone and feel of Kalamzo Gibbys) and contemporary needs (mod profile necks, pickups etc). The "Historic" umbrella was inconsistent; it covered both reissues (AJ, Original Jumbo) and mods (J45s with pickups). In the new configuration, the latter is now and MC and TVs are )presumably) the reissues. Sort of like Martin's std or 16 series and Vintage series.

Except that (at least some of) the TVs arent exactly vintage (j45 with Aj bracing for ex, V neck on a J185 etc--the MCs may actually be closer to 50s specs--go figure). So, a case can be made that the consumer is not getting what the name 9and price tag) implies. Your TV may sound good, but its not, as the name implies, a classic revisited.

It would be nice if Gibson mgt would get it together. properly reissue items that are commanding big prices on the vintage market (a short scale LOO, J35, and so forth) and call them--whatever, just do it! JK

The TV's are way more expensve than the Historics and Reissues they've replaced' date=' so how have Gison justified the price increase?[/quote']

It's the TV cases - they are constructed of 75% more lumber requiring considerably more glue and, as a result, are considerably heavier than the black Tone/Feel/Appearance cases. This has resulted in an increase in insurance premiums for the Bozeman employees who must lift the things every day. The expense is passed on to the guitar consumer.

;-)

......Markets determine prices.....

That pretty much sums up the price of EVERYTHING!....anybody checked out the price of an HDMI cable for your Hi-Def TV?....$6 worth of cable selling for up to $130.

I have a Hummingbird TV, and the only way I can justify what I paid for it(which was waaaaaay below MAP), is that I wanted it...and was willing to pay for it. It's an awesome guitar and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with my purchase, but it is also the only Hummingbird I have ever played, so I have no basis for comparison.

Stu-

From my limited experience, I've found every TV model that I've played to be very responsive. The sound just jumps out with a light touch, and is very 'open' from the gitgo. I attribute the impressive sound qualities to the way Gibson is bracing the top-- in a manner that increases response. I think of the TV line -with this special top bracing- as similar to Martin's 'Vintage' series. Basically, using the best of the modern building techniques with bracing that is 'lighter' and more similar to those found on the actual vintage models.

When I compare Gibson's TV prices with Martins V series, I actually think that the Gibsons are very fairly priced- even 'cheap'. (OK- that depends on what your local dealer is selling them for-- but I saw two TV J-45s and a SJ for < $2000 last year--Great Deals!)

But the fact is, I stopped in to my local Gibson dealer last week and they had a standard J45 next to a TV J45. and that standard model sounded wonderful. So if you're patient, you'll run into those standard models that were constructed when all the stars and moon must have been lined up just right... and you can save yourself a few bucks.

Nice one Hoss. You nailed it. But I'm in the UK and have to get on a plane to try a decent range of Gibsons, let alone find a really good example. I need to get a good understanding of the SJ line in advance.

I have a D-18 Authentic that takes the replica thing a step further than the TV (like the J-45 Legend with the hide glue and all that) but I still think about adding a really decent SJ-200.

Now a 50's SJ-200 Legend would be interesting. Are you listening Gibson Mgt?

Archived